hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Hello and welcome back for another review. This time I’ll be taking a look at the Vandy Vape Kylin M tank that was sent to me by Sourcemore in order to provide a fair and honest review. I own a few different AIO or boro style mods so thought it might be fun to try out the Kylin M tank in one of them. The Kylin M tank has a liquid capacity of 3ml and is compatible with BB style systems as well as the Pulse AIO mods. It makes use of honeycomb style airflow located on each side of the tank. The build deck is designed to be used with mesh strip coils but you might be able to insert a standard coil. There is a ceramic spring loaded center to hold the cotton tightly against the coil to prevent burning. To me this one is designed mostly for RDL or DL vaping and offers big airflow. There are two airflow reducers that can be used with the tank to tighten up the draw some.

wrK8IIg.jpg

I0eNnXd.jpg

WHAT’S IN THE BOX?

1* Kylin M Tank
    2* A1 M Coil 0.2ohm
    2* A1 M Coil 0.15ohm
    1* Accessory Bag
    1* Replacement Tank
    1* Drip Tip
    2* Vape Cotton Laces
    1* Instruction Manual
    1* Adjustable Airflow Apparatus A
    1* Adjustable Airflow Apparatus B
    1* 510 Coil Burning Set
    1* 510 Adaptor Ring(Big Aperture)

XWvtTnR.jpg

3X42ozb.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS:

Size: 25.4*16.4*38.2mm

Tube Capacity: 3ml

Fit for: BB Style System, Vandy Vape Pulse AIO

Color: Matte Black, SS, Frosted Grey

Packing Size: 77*42*104mm

fbvGklT.jpg

FEATURES:

1. Honeycomb airflow

2. Equipped with a large size airflow pipe and drip tip

3. For Pulse AIO BB style system

4. Ceramic shrapnel design in the build deck

5. Two airflow brings different vaping

6. Brings real big cloud

H1fBOLW.jpg

AZix0jP.jpg

zEguI7x.jpg

iPBuQ4Z.jpg

my8uYH8.gif

5iRfH2r.jpg

INITIAL THOUGHTS:

The Kylin M Tank comes in a familiar box since I’ve reviewed a few different Vandy Vape tanks before. It comes in a black box with a clear viewing window where you can see the contents of the kit. As you can see in the picture below, I received the SS version for my review. Besides the Kylin M Tank, you can see that it comes with a spare tank section that in this case is a red color as well as two airflow restrictors, a spare drip tip, and a 510 adapter that connects to the tank in order to burn in coils. What you can’t see is that there are two plastic holders in that foam insert that each have two mesh strip coils. Underneath the foam insert is where you’ll find the user manual, two cotton threads, and an accessory bag that includes spare seals, a screwdriver, and a rod for shaping the mesh coils. The mesh coils that are included are .15 and .2 ohm A1 mesh strips.

1685290878417.png

1685290908057.png

1685290931001.png

The Kylin M name is printed on the front of the tank. I found it interesting that the rubber fill plug is actually attached on the side with the plug wrapping around the front to cover the fill port. It has only happened to me once or twice but I have pulled the plug from the wrong end and either pulled it completely out of a tank or pod or broken the tab off in the tank or pod. With this one there is no mistake where to lift from when filling the tank.

In the third picture below you can see that there are seven honeycomb holes located on each side of the tank for a total of 14 honeycomb airflow holes to provide excellent and smooth airflow for this tank. I was honestly surprised how smooth the airflow is on this one and get no noise from it even when using either airflow restrictor or none at all.

1685290973102.png

1685291006484.png

1685291040383.png

The build deck for the Kylin M has a spring loaded ceramic center piece like some other mesh tanks that I have tried before. It holds the cotton against the coil to prevent burning of the cotton which can happen if the cotton is too loose and gives a horrible taste. The center ceramic is held in place by a slotted head screw with spring underneath that holds tension upwards on the ceramic. If you can, it helps to push down while sliding the cotton into place when wicking. The clamps on each side are also spring loaded which makes it much easier to install the mesh coil. I’ve tested tanks before where those were not spring loaded and it can make it quite the PITA when trying to insert your mesh coil without bending it out of shape. The side clamps are held in place with phillips head screws and there is a small screwdriver included with the tank in case you don’t have the correct size to use. The build deck is held in place by the black rectangular seal on the base of the deck. It does a nice job of holding it in place securely.

1685291088864.png

1685291122589.png

The first thing to do is to prepare your mesh coil. I picked the .2 ohm mesh to start with since the rated wattage is what I am more comfortable with. I used the included rod and shaped the coil around it so I could then loosen the clamp screws to insert the coil.
    1685291187323.png

Once the coil is inserted and tightened in place then you can attach the included 510 adapter to burn in the coil. You want to do this at very low wattage. I had my mod set at 13 watts and only did quick pulses to clean off any residue that might have been on the mesh from my hands. You don’t want to go very high for the dry burn and don’t want to fire for very long. I speak from experience as I have melted a mesh coil before by improperly dry burning. After the dry burn is done then the cotton can be inserted. There are two large cotton threads included with the tank and it helps if you can push down while threading the cotton to make it go in easier. I cut the cotton first at an angle up towards the coil like I have done with other mesh tanks. Then I thinned the tails and trimmed them for length. You want the tails to just sit on the top of the base and not get stuck in the space between the base and upper tank portion. It took quite a bit of trimming to get it right and even trimmed a little more after soaking the cotton with liquid. If you see any cotton sticking out the sides after the base is inserted then take it back apart and trim more or you will have leaking. I know the picture isn’t the best but you want the cotton to land on that ledge above where the black seal is. The liquid on this one feeds from the top of the tank down to the tops of the wick. It’s a gravity feed system.

1685291231979.png

oBbIgdt.jpg

oAFAp2h.jpg

From there you can fill the tank, remove the adapter if you haven’t already, and install it in your favorite boro device. The promotional material shows it installed in a Pulse AIO but I opted for using it in one of my Meson AIO mods. I quickly discovered that I shouldn’t use the front cover with the airflow control built into it on the mod since it drew large amounts of condensation and I believe was the cause of some leaking. After removing the front cover I had no further issues. After removing the front cover, I decided to try each of the two airflow reducers included with the tank since it was just too much airflow for my tastes. The larger reducer was not a lot different from running without. It was still a very airy DL vape. I swapped it out for the smaller reducer and that allowed a little more restriction for a slightly restricted DL vape. That was closer to what I was looking for. I actually liked it better with no reducer and using the front airflow control cover of the Meson but quickly got tired of cleaning the inside of the cover and the edges around the bottom where the cover meets the mod. The airflow reducers simply slide onto the bottom of the tank and there is a groove in the bottom of the tank for them to fit into so as not to get in the way of making connection with the electrical contact pin in the mod.

bBW9Wjs.jpg

nyWWd69.jpg

FaGa2W5.jpg

FINAL THOUGHTS:

I already mentioned testing the .2 ohm mesh coil but since this is a review I went ahead and tried one of the .15 ohm coils even though the suggested operating range is a bit higher than I usually like to use. I followed the same steps building the deck and trimming the cotton. Vandy Vape was nice enough to include the following instructions which can be helpful if you’ve never built a mesh deck before. What it doesn’t show is how to trim the cotton. I would recommend watching an instructional video on YouTube if you want a better idea how to do the wicking.
    1aDE0Ei.jpg

My initial attempt at wicking the Kylin M deck with the .15 ohm mesh coil was an utter failure. I thought I did a good job and filled the tank and inserted it in the Meson AIO. After a few puffs I had liquid running down my hand and on to my shirt. I took the deck back off and pulled the wick so I could make another attempt at wicking. I had already used both of the included cotton threads but do have some other mesh cotton threads that I had from a different tank that I liked so used one of them. I think my initial failure was that I left too much cotton on the sides sticking out from the coil and this was touching the inside of the honeycomb airflow holes allowing the liquid to leak out the sides. Since the airflow holes are on the sides, you can’t see them once the tank is in the mod so I am just guessing but am thinking I am correct. I wiped the tank and inside of the Meson as well as I could and tried again. I think there was still some residual because I thought it was leaking again. I pulled the tank out again and decided to try it in the Pulse AIO.5 that I previously reviewed. I figured out pretty quickly that with the side panel on the Pulse that it greatly restricted the airflow on the tank so I removed the airflow restrictor and it was better. I ran the coil up to about 55 watts but really didn’t care for it as much as the .2 coil.

The airflow and draw are very smooth on the Kylin M tank and felt like I was getting very good flavor with the .2 ohm coil. I am not a consistent mesh tank user so may have struggled more than someone who uses them all the time but for my tastes I felt like I had to spend way too much time on fiddling with trying to get the wick trimmed properly to fit in the tank without sticking out the sides or pressing against the airflow holes. For me personally, this one is a no go and will not find a spot in my regular rotation. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone at Vandy Vape had their ears ringing when I was trying to get the .2 ohm coil wicked correctly.

I would like to thank Sourcemore and Kavis for sending the Kylin M Tank for this review. It was definitely an adventure. Thanks as always to the readers. Below is a link to the website if you would like to try one for yourself.

Vandy Vape Kylin M Tank 3ml for BB Style System (sourcemore.com)

Javichu

Account closed on request
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 8, 2020
    Spain
    Good review buddy.

Wish i could have peeped thru a hole in the wall while you were wicking the 0.2 coil.
    That would have made for some good entertainment ;)

On a more serious note proud to see you being honest about a product like you always are,shows character,kudos my friend.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Another good and honest review.
    Thanks. I’m sorry that I somehow missed your post.
    Good review buddy.

Wish i could have peeped thru a hole in the wall while you were wicking the 0.2 coil.
    That would have made for some good entertainment ;)

On a more serious note proud to see you being honest about a product like you always are,shows character,kudos my friend.
    Thanks. It was frustrating but I’m sure you’d have had a good laugh.
    Thanks for another thorough, interesting review @hittman .
    For me, running a BB style device with a 0.15 or even 0.2 ohm coil seems kind of strange. Those type of mods weren't designed for high wattage, airy vaping.
    Thanks. Yes I know it seems strange but this tank has huge airflow and is going after the DTL crowd. With the meson and the door off it had plenty of airflow for DTL.

Users who are viewing this thread