Vandy Vape Berserker MTL RDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrjohs

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2015
What coil setup are you using?

I have tried two coils:

1. The same as I use in kayfun 5's. Dual twisted 0.3mm wire. 2.5mm inner diameter. Don't know how many wraps, but it comes out at about 0.9 ohms.

2. A more typical MTL coil. 0.4mm wire, 2.5 mm ID, 8 wraps.

I have tried both of these as low as 13 watts. Coil #2 is slightly better, but after a couple of subsequent hits the symptoms are pretty evident: More heat than vapor.

What surprises me the most is the amount of airflow I am getting. With the smallest reducer and smallest outside airhole it is still comparable to a Kayfun 5 at the lowest setting. Am I the only one experiencing this? Should it not be a lot tighter?

I have also tried putting some plumber tape on the ends of the reducer. Did not make any difference.

sk25411

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2017
San Diego, California
@mrjohs I feel you on the airflow, although I’m more limited in my experience.

I’ve found I can get the sxk doggystyle much tighter than this rda. Although, I don’t need it much tighter than the smallest airflow on the berserker, I would prefer it a little bit tighter.

I’ve tried most of the reducers as well. I don’t find a difference at all between the smallest, next biggest, or triple hole. There may have been a small difference, but negligible.

My reducers are also not tightly fitted. A turn to the side, and it slides out.

Right now, I have a 28g twisted, 2.5 ID, 6 wraps, .9 ohms. It’s a really nice vape, but it’s not blowing my mind over the doggy.

Walter_Sobchak

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2017
Indiana
Also, what coils is everyone using with this? That superfine Clapton ni80 that comes with it is pretty nice. Thinking of getting some of that wire
so far I've only used 26ga kanthal, 8 wraps, 2.5mm diameter coming in at about .9 ohms. Vaping at 16 watts is working pretty well right now. I have the tube with the slot in it and the smallest airflow hole open. It's comparable to what I get with my Berserker RTA with the second to the smallest af opening.

Electro108

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2016
I have tried two coils:

1. The same as I use in Kayfun 5's. Dual twisted 0.3mm wire. 2.5mm inner diameter. Don't know how many wraps, but it comes out at about 0.9 ohms.

2. A more typical MTL coil. 0.4mm wire, 2.5 mm ID, 8 wraps.

I have tried both of these as low as 13 watts. Coil #2 is slightly better, but after a couple of subsequent hits the symptoms are pretty evident: More heat than vapor.

What surprises me the most is the amount of airflow I am getting. With the smallest reducer and smallest outside airhole it is still comparable to a Kayfun 5 at the lowest setting. Am I the only one experiencing this? Should it not be a lot tighter?

I have also tried putting some plumber tape on the ends of the reducer. Did not make any difference.
Are you using kanthal? Are they Clapton or plain?

mrjohs

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2015
@mrjohsRight now, I have a 28g twisted, 2.5 ID, 6 wraps, .9 ohms. It’s a really nice vape, but it’s not blowing my mind over the doggy.

For me, as it stands, pretty much anything I have in or out of rotation vapes way better than this. The prime example being the SXK Le Concorde clone, which is in a totally different league when it comes to vape quality.

It seems to be that something about the airflow is seriously flawed. I have checked that there are no air leaks anywhere, by stuffing plumbers tape around the edges of the reducer, and purging the rda to see if vapor comes out anywhere it shouldn't. I have also turned the largest airflow hole to the side of the rda that the closed side of the reducer face. If I suck as hard as I can there is some air getting through, but not enough that I think it would have any impact.

What I am speculating now is that the 90 degree angle in the reducer right under the coil is creating some turbulance which spreads the air all over the place. If that is true there probably is no easy fix.

Judging from the vape quality I would bet a lot that much of the air is not hitting the coil.

• Informative
Reactions: Jumpin' In...

Walter_Sobchak

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2017
Indiana
Judging from the vape quality I would bet a lot that much of the air is not hitting the coil.
I agree with your logic on this but after several days my coil is just now starting to get a little dark. I'm fairly new when it comes to MTL setups but with my Berserker RTAs my coils are much darker and in need of cleaning after the same period of time.
Also, I'm not noticing any air leaking at all. I'm vaping with the smallest airflow hole open and using the tube that has the long slit. I checked for leaks by taking a hit then plugging the air flow hole with my finger and attempted to exhale into the drip tip. Nothing.
I have noticed that the AF tube is a bit loose. It will slide out easily but I don't notice any side to side movement with the one I've been using.

Walter_Sobchak

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2017
Indiana
Has anyone found a mod that this RDA won't work with? For the first week or so I used the Berserker with either beauty ring on my Therion BF without any issues. Over the weekend I put it on top of my Fuchai and the mod doesn't recognize that the atty is attached with either of the beauty rings. Works fine without a ring.

mrjohs

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2015
Mine is giving me the vape that I like. I did just check to see which hole in the afc I had it set on, and all the air holes are covered, none are open. Oh well, as long as it's vaping like I like, it's all good.

That is because there is a tiny bit of space between the top cap and the chamber, because of the o-rings.

Figs

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2017
Granbury - Texas - USA
Has anyone found a mod that this RDA won't work with? For the first week or so I used the Berserker with either beauty ring on my Therion BF without any issues. Over the weekend I put it on top of my Fuchai and the mod doesn't recognize that the atty is attached with either of the beauty rings. Works fine without a ring.

When I was using the Berserker it would not work with the beauty rings on my Squeezes.

VesiHiisi

Apr 14, 2018
On my v1 vt-inbox if i try put berserker rda on ot with beatyring(after another rda) it doesent reconize, so what i do is put it in with put the beaty ring to regonize the atomizer, THEN i can put it in with beaty ring and no problem :thumbs:

...or i can just adjust the 510 pin on the rDa ;)

Bird Dog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Ohio
Anyone receive a Berserker RDA that you absolutely could not get the top cap off of? I just did and it's really driving me mad. I've had similar issues before with other tanks but it was always fixed by throwing them in the freezer for an hour or so and breaking out the rubber gloves. Not this time though. I've tried everything I can possibly think of and not even a budge. I'm almost certain that it's just welded on at this point.

• Informative
Reactions: Jumpin' In...

sk25411

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2017
San Diego, California
Did you swap for another that came with it, or another you had?

Just the spare in the bag that came with it. Not sure why it’s so much better, but it’s nice.

PS. Lost my triple hole air insert, and I’m LIVID right now. Was cleaning it out and those things are easy to make disappear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread