Not open for further replies.

BuzzKill

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2009
Central Coast Ca.
www.notcigs.com
Hi, all!

AttyPops does have a very valid point; the PTN0405c is a great package, and since it can boost the voltage it makes some very nice 1-battery solutions. The PWM circuit can only cut the power, so it would be primarily for multi-batt units. Since they've included the inductor in the 405c module, it makes for a much simpler build than just using a switching-regulator IC. (Wish they had thrown the I/O caps in there too!). And I'd love to figure out how BreakTru came up with adding the extra resistor (between pins 3-4) to get it to go down below 5V!

The only drawback I see to the PTN0405c is the cost (particularly since I'd have to buy 3, since I'm certain to blow a couple while trying to get it all into a working unit ;-). (Also, the fact that the on-off switch still carries the whole carto current, and I keep frying the smaller switches I've been using). The PWM on the other hand, can be made very inexpensively, the switch only carries the power to the 555 circuit, and might be more attractive for the tinkerer. I wasn't looking at using an MCU; just the simple circuit I posted the link to.

But now the gauntlet has been thrown down about getting a constant-power unit, so I guess I've got some more work to do (sigh).. I'm looking at the possibility of using one of the trenchplus mosfets from NXP; and maybe using the sense transistor to drive current into the timing cap of the 555 during the ON cycle. This wouldn't compensate for variations in the battery voltage, but ought to at least "flatten" the curve for different carto resistances. Need to figure out how to keep the frequency constant, though.....

to control the voltage to the 55 circuit you would need a micro Vreg ! they make them VARY small ! they are linear however but at such small currents it would work .

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
to control the voltage to the 55 circuit you would need a micro Vreg ! they make them VARY small ! they are linear however but at such small currents it would work .

The 555 circuit I built required no regulator... it reduced power to the atty by decreasing the percentage of time power was going to the atty.

If the 555 was in the "on" state 90% of the time... 90% of the power was delivered to the atty... At 50% on state, 50% power... the unloaded voltage held at the battery voltage, under load it pulled down a bit... but the real regulation happening here is due to it being off for a portion of the duty cycle.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Note:
A Mosfet can be added to any circuit including the 04050c for a low current switch or even a touch switch. I chose to keep it small due to tight space

Hi Breaktru! Love your work!

One of the things I liked about using a very low-power 555 (like the TS555) was that with 10pA current on the reset input, you could use that as a touch-switch, and get double the bang for your buck. That being said, a simple PWM circuit really is the "poor-man's" solution; the switching regulator you found really is elegant, and I'll almost surely wind up shelling out for a few of these before I'm done...

By the way, how did you figure out about the extra resistor to get lower than 5V from the PTN0405c? (Haven't seen that in any of their app guides...) What's the switching IC they use? And is there a way to get broader V ranges than those listed in your original post?

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hi Breaktru! Love your work!

One of the things I liked about using a very low-power 555 (like the TS555) was that with 10pA current on the reset input, you could use that as a touch-switch, and get double the bang for your buck. That being said, a simple PWM circuit really is the "poor-man's" solution; the switching regulator you found really is elegant, and I'll almost surely wind up shelling out for a few of these before I'm done...

By the way, how did you figure out about the extra resistor to get lower than 5V from the PTN0405c? (Haven't seen that in any of their app guides...) What's the switching IC they use? And is there a way to get broader V ranges than those listed in your original post?

Ahhhh twg, that my friend is a secret. Read about it in my Patent.:laugh:
I have to give credit to several modders here on the ECF for the inspiration I got from their mods that led me to build:
a simple 3.7v copper mod, the V.V. copper mod (7.4v), the V.V. booster copper mod w/ digial pot and the .44 mini V.V. booster box mod.
Soon to be made: 7.4v, side by side copper mod w/ PTN08100w and who knows what else I can stick in there. Hey maybe I'll steal your PWM and make it touch too. :p

Can't remember everyone who helped, but I'll try: Thank You BigBlue30, WillyB, Parallexl2, TuErOs‎, asdaq, Gummy bear, Scubabatdan‎, I know there where more. Sorry if I left you out.

Last edited:

Gummy Bear

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2010
orlando fl
agummybear.deviantart.com
Ahhhh twg, that my friend is a secret. Read about it in my Patent.:laugh:.

Yea like all my patent pending "Gummy Tanks" that MAP sells. :facepalm:
However with you just giving credit to about 7 of us modders here for your patent, I think that a small 10% royality would work just fine. That would still leave you with 30%. :toast:

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
You mean Zen-Tanks, don't you? I made mine first, just never disclosed it... :blink:

Gummy put a fill screw, so it's technically different. I put a left hand screw so mine is different too. That's 3 patents for the same but different tanks:laugh:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
You guys crack me up. I'd say you all deserve patents .....Just try and cash in on them with all this stuff from China being imported...

@twgbonehead how did you say you would get a regulated voltage? Constant-Power in post #18 = consistent PWMed voltage? The battery has a performance curve, so just having a fixed % duty-cycle, it will still vary according to that curve. Now, maybe you could use a comparator of some sort with a reference voltage... of course then you would be building your own switching regulator! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread