Verified Member
Mar 30, 2012
Texas, USA, Earth

Lonnie Lepp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2012
Texas, USA, Earth
I was thinking that the battery would be driving the atty and the USB Charger would be charging as I was vaping.

I wondering if the charging and the vaping could happen at the same time?

Thanks for the reply

That's the same board I use. Works great! It can't be used as a pass-through without a sufficient Battery tho.

That charge board came set up as a 1000mAh charge, so make sure the Battery you choose can be charged at that rate.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
I was thinking that the battery would be driving the atty and the USB Charger would be charging as I was vaping.

No.

I got today as a sample from TI. It is an ucc283T -
That will be using two cells stacked/in series.

CityLights

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Could I put two usb chargers, one for each battery?
No, if you have stacked Batteries you need a different type of charger. Even then I wouldn't recommend it. I frown on stacking Batts especially charging stacks! ..It can be done with 2 regular lithium cells but it requires an additional circuit between and around the Batts.

Technically Yes & No
I Vape while charging but not when my Battery Cell is getting close to the top off of 4.2Volts. Reason being is the Voltage drop while in use at top of the charge can fool the charge circuit into over charging a cell. I switch my mods Voltage display to Cell Volts while charging and I stop vaping on it when it reaches 4.18. When the Cell finishes charging to 4.2, I pull the USB cable and vape on. Also if you vape like this you must have a robust USB power source 1500mAh per USB port or higher is recomended. Most common USB ports are 500mAh or less.

If you refrain from vaping any e-cig pass-trough while it's charging the Battery will Live a longer life. The Eb & Flo of charge/discharge stresses the Cell. And All ecigs with pass-through should not be vaped while the battery is near the top of the charge, for the reason I stated above. Doing so puts the user a increase risk of catastrophic failure of the Cell.

Last edited:

jimbalny

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
New York
No, if you have stacked Batteries you need a different type of charger. Even then I wouldn't recommend it. I frown on stacking Batts especially charging stacks! ..It can be done with 2 regular lithium cells but it requires an additional circuit between and around the Batts.

Technically Yes & No
I Vape while charging but not when my Battery Cell is getting close to the top off of 4.2Volts. Reason being is the Voltage drop while in use at top of the charge can fool the charge circuit into over charging a cell. I switch my mods Voltage display to Cell Volts while charging and I stop vaping on it when it reaches 4.18. When the Cell finishes charging to 4.2, I pull the USB cable and vape on. Also if you vape like this you must have a robust USB power source 1500mAh per USB port or higher is recomended. Most common USB ports are 500mAh or less.

If you refrain from vaping any e-cig pass-trough while it's charging the Battery will Live a longer life. The Eb & Flo of charge/discharge stresses the Cell. And All ecigs with pass-through should not be vaped while the battery is near the top of the charge, for the reason I stated above. Doing so puts the user a increase risk of catastrophic failure of the Cell.

Can you explain this a little more in depth? Trying to wrap my head around this. Is it because the under load condition would trick the charger circuit into thinking that the under load reading is the battery's actual voltage reading? Trying to think how this scenario can be avoided by altering the charger behavior.

Rader2146

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Waco, TX
I believe the biggest reason is that while the charger is in constant voltage mode a drop in voltage caused by load could trick the charger into constant current mode. If the charge state is near the end that could slam an almost full battery with 1a current.

I think that is also what CityLights is saying, or at least for similar reasons. But then again I would think that the response time of most chargers would be fast enough to mitigate a lot of the danger.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread