Updated CASAA Call to Action: Urge New York City Council to reject proposed e-cig usage ban ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
CASAA: (UPDATED!) NYC CTA Indoor Use Ban Hearing 12-4-13

[h=2]THURSDAY, DECEMBER 12, 2013[/h][h=3](UPDATED!) NYC CTA Indoor Use Ban Hearing 12-4-13[/h]Email ThisBlogThis!Share to TwitterShare to Facebook

[h=3]Call to Action! New York City E-Cigarette Usage Ban --
Local Law 7248 (vote may happen soon!)[/h]

UPDATE 12/12/13: regarding upcoming Health Committee vote and contact lists.

[legislative tracking + full text]

If enacted, these ordinances would:

• Include e-cigarettes in New York City's "Smoke-Free Air Act”
  • Ban e-cigarette use in all locations where smoking is prohibited in New York City, including bars, restaurants, private workplaces, outdoor dining areas and parks.

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Council Speaker Christine Quinn, and Councilman James F. Gennaro are both just a few weeks away from the end of their terms as NYC officials. Bloomberg and company, having failed in their push to enact a de facto ban on flavored e-cigarette sales in the city, have decided to again bully ex-smokers in NYC by attempting to push through an ordinance that would ban the use of electronic cigarettes in all indoor and outdoor areas of the city where smoking is banned.

On Wednesday, December 4th, the New York City Council held a hearing on these ordinances, with approximately 50 harm reduction advocates attending and many speaking in opposition to the plan. Following the hearing, two positive articles on e-cigarettes were published in the New York Times (“Two Cheers for E-Cigarettes,” “The Case for Tolerating E-Cigarettes”). Additionally, on Monday, December 9th, a committee in the Chicago City Council declined to railroad through a ban similar to one proposed by the Bloomberg administration ("Surprise Opposition Derails Emauel's E-Cigarette Ban").

The NYC ordinance was originally set to be voted on by the Health Committee on Wednesday, December 11th. However, we’ve learned that the vote has been delayed, perhaps until Wednesday, December 18th. The goal is to then have the full Council immediately vote on it on Thursday, December 19th at their meeting at 1:30 PM at City Hall (260 Broadway).

Important Note for New York City Residents: Vapers and advocates cannot wait until the Health Committee acts on this ordinance to decide whether to contact other members of the NYC Council. It is imperative that NYC residents who respond to this Call to Action not just contact the full Council, but also the Council member who represents each individual person's district. Click here to find out who represents you on the New York City Council. We highly recommend calling their legislative office and respectfully making clear that you are in the legislator’s district and have a strong opinion about the e-cigarette ordinance. You can even ask for a meeting or return phone call.

NYC and Nearby Residents: Please Contact All the Members of the New York City Council

1. You would like them to OPPOSE the proposed ordinance to falsely redefine "smoking" to include use of a smoke-free electronic cigarette.

2. Tell your story on how switching to an e-cigarette has changed your life.

3. Explain how smoking bans are enacted to protect the public from the harm of secondhand smoke, but e-cigarettes have not been shown to cause harm to bystanders. In fact, all evidence to date shows that the low health risks associated with e-cigarettes is comparable to other smokeless nicotine products.

The low risks of e-cigarettes is supported by research done by Dr. Siegel of Boston University, Dr. Eissenberg of Virginia Commonwealth, Dr Maciej L Goniewicz of the Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Dr. Laugesen of Health New Zealand, Dr. Igor Burstyn of Drexel University, and by the fact that the FDA testing, in spite of its press statement, failed to find harmful levels of carcinogens or toxic levels of any chemical in the vapor.

A comprehensive review by a Drexel University professor based on over 9,000 observations of e-cigarette liquid and vapor found "no apparent concern" for bystanders exposed to e-cigarette vapor, even under "worst case" assumptions about exposure.

Additionally, a study by the Roswell Park Center that was funded in part by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) found that the levels of chemicals and toxicants in the vapor produced by 12 different e-cigarettes 9-450x less than in cigarette smoke. The authors noted that the trace levels of chemicals present were comparable to what is found in a FDA-approved nicotine inhaler.

4. Detail how electronic cigarette use is easy to distinguish from actual smoking. Although some e-cigarettes resemble real cigarettes, many do not. It is easy to tell when someone lights a cigarette from the smell of smoke. E-cigarette vapor is practically odorless, and generally any detectable odor is not unpleasant and smells nothing like smoke. Additionally, e-cigarette users can decide whether to release any vapor ("discreet vaping"). With so little evidence of use, enforcing indoor use bans on electronic cigarettes would be nearly impossible.

5. Inform them that the ability to use electronic cigarettes in public spaces will actually improve public health by inspiring other smokers to switch. Surveys of thousands of users indicate that the majority of those who switch, completely replace tobacco cigarettes with the electronic cigarettes, reducing their health risks by 98-99%.

6. Tell them that by switching to a smokeless product, you have greatly reduced your health risks.

7. Direct them to the CASAA.org website, as well as the CASAA Research Library, for more information.

Please Contact the Members of the New York City Health Committee Below:

While e-mails are easier, phone calls will have a larger impact, even if you are simply leaving a message after hours.

Comma delimited email list:
chin@council.nyc.gov, rmendez@council.nyc.gov, garodnick@council.nyc.ny.us, lappin@council.nyc.gov,gbrewer@council.nyc.gov, rjackson@council.nyc.gov, mviverito@council.nyc.gov, yrodriguez@council.nyc.gov,aking@council.nyc.gov, jvacca@council.nyc.gov, joel.rivera@council.nyc.gov, vgibson@council.nyc.gov,apalma@council.nyc.gov, dhalloran@council.nyc.gov, pkoo@council.nyc.gov, jferreras@council.nyc.gov,mweprin@council.nyc.gov, jgennaro@council.nyc.gov, jvanbramer@council.nyc.gov, comrie@council.nyc.ny.us,ruben.wills@council.nyc.gov, koslowitz@council.nyc.gov, ecrowley@council.nyc.gov, eulrich@council.nyc.gov,slevin@council.nyc.gov, ljames@council.nyc.gov, avann@council.nyc.gov, edilan@council.nyc.gov,sgonzalez@council.nyc.gov, lander@council.nyc.gov, mathieu.eugene@council.nyc.gov darlene.mealy@council.nyc.gov,vgentile@council.nyc.gov, dgreenfield@council.nyc.gov, lfidler@council.nyc.gov, drecchia@council.nyc.gov,mnelson1@council.nyc.gov, drose@council.nyc.gov, joddo@council.nyc.gov, vignizio@council.nyc.gov

BROOKLYN COUNCIL MEMBERS

Margaret Chin (D) [District 1]
212-788-7259
chin@council.nyc.gov

Rosie Mendez (D) [District 2]
212-788-7366
rmendez@council.nyc.gov

Christine C. Quinn (D) [District 3]
212 788-7210

Daniel R. Garodnick (D) [District 4]
212-788-7393
garodnick@council.nyc.ny.us

Jessica S. Lappin (D) [District 5]
212-788-6865
lappin@council.nyc.gov

Gale A. Brewer (D) [District 6]
212 788-6975
gbrewer@council.nyc.gov

Robert Jackson (D) [District 7]
212-788-7007
rjackson@council.nyc.gov

Melissa Mark-Viverito (D) [District 8]
212-788-6960
mviverito@council.nyc.gov

Inez Dickens (D) [District 9]
212-788-7397

Ydanis Rodriguez (D) [District 10]
212-788-7053
yrodriguez@council.nyc.gov

Oliver Koppell (D) [District 11]
212-788-7080

Andy King (D) [District 12]
718 684-5509
aking@council.nyc.gov

James Vacca (D) [District 13]
212-788-7375
jvacca@council.nyc.gov

Fernando Cabrera (D) [District 14]
212-788-7074

Joel Rivera (D) [District 15]
212-788-6966
Joel.Rivera@council.nyc.gov

Vanessa L. Gibson [District 16]
212-788-6856
VGibson@council.nyc.gov

Maria del Carmen Arroyo (D) [District 17]
212-788-7384

BRONX COUNCIL MEMBERS

Annabel Palma (D) [District 18]
212-788-6853
apalma@council.nyc.gov

Daniel Halloran (R), (C), (I), (L) [District 19]
212-788-7250
dhalloran@council.nyc.gov

Peter Koo (D) [District 20]
212-788-7022
pkoo@council.nyc.gov

Julissa Ferreras (D) [District 21]
212-788-6862
jferreras@council.nyc.gov

Peter F. Vallone Jr. (D) [District 22]
212-788-6963

Mark S. Weprin (D) [District 23]
212-788-6984
MWeprin@Council.NYC.gov

James F. Gennaro (D) [District 24]
212-788-6956
jgennaro@council.nyc.gov

Daniel Dromm (D) [District 25]
212-788-7066

MANHATTAN COUNCIL MEMBERS

Jimmy Van Bramer (D) [District 26]
212-788-7370
jvanbramer@council.nyc.gov

Leroy Comrie (D) [District 27]
212-788-7084
comrie@council.nyc.ny.us

Ruben Wills (D) [District 28]
212-788-6850
Ruben.Wills@council.nyc.gov

Karen Koslowitz (D) [District 29]
212-788-6981
Koslowitz@council.nyc.gov

Elizabeth Crowley (D) [District 30]
212 788-7381
ecrowley@council.nyc.gov

Donovan Richards Jr [District 31]
212-788-7216

Eric Ulrich (R) [District 32]
212-788-7069
eulrich@council.nyc.gov

Stephen Levin (D) [District 33]
212-788-7348
slevin@council.nyc.gov

Diana Reyna (D) [District 34]
212-788-7095

Letitia James [District 35]
212-788-7081
ljames@council.nyc.gov

QUEENS COUNCIL MEMBERS

Albert Vann (D) [District 36]
212-788-7354
avann@council.nyc.gov

Erik Martin Dilan (D) [District 37]
212-788-7284
Edilan@council.nyc.gov

Sara M. González (D) [District 38]
212-788-7372
sgonzalez@council.nyc.gov

Brad Landers (D) [District 39]
212-788-6969
lander@council.nyc.gov

Mathieu Eugene (D) [District 40]
212-788-7352
mathieu.eugene@council.nyc.gov

Darlene Mealy (D) [District 41]
212-788-7387
darlene.mealy@council.nyc.gov

Charles Barron (D) [District 42]
212-788-6957

Vincent J. Gentile (D) [District 43]
212-788-7363
vgentile@council.nyc.gov

David G. Greenfield (D) [District 44]
718-853-2704
dgreenfield@council.nyc.gov

Jumaane D. Williams (D) [District 45]
212-788-6859

Lew Fidler (D) [District 46]
212-788-7286
LFidler@council.nyc.gov

Domenic M. Recchia, Jr. (D) [District 47]
212-788-7045
drecchia@council.nyc.gov

Michael Nelson (D) [District 48]
212-788-7360
MNelson1@council.nyc.gov

STATEN ISLAND COUNCIL MEMBERS

Deborah Rose (D) [District 49]
212-788-6972
DROSE@Council.nyc.gov

James S. Oddo (R) [District 50]
212-788-7159
joddo@council.nyc.gov

Vincent Ignizio (R) [District 51]
212-788-7390
vignizio@council.nyc.gov

Last edited:

Shopan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2013
Thebestcityintheworld,USA

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
As I anticipated would occur, the NYC Council Health Committee just approved the e-cig usage ban bill.

The bill is now scheduled to be voted on by the full Council tomorrow at its 1:30PM meeting.

Don't know why nobody else posted any replies to this critically important alert during the past 5 days, but I hope that more than a few folks who looked at this thread took the time to contact NYC Council members.

Regardless, it is imperative that many more vapers from NYC area contact NYC Council members today and tomorrow morning urging them to oppose Bloomberg's e-cig usage ban.

Last edited:

Shopan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2013
Thebestcityintheworld,USA

soba1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 27, 2013
Van Nuys Ca., USA
As I anticipated would occur, the NYC Council Health Committee just approved the e-cig usage ban bill.

The bill is now scheduled to be voted on by the full Council tomorrow at its 1:30PM meeting.

Don't know why nobody else posted any replies to this critically important alert during the past 5 days, but I hope that more than a few folks who looked at this thread took the time to contact NYC Council members.

Regardless, it is imperative that many more vapers from NYC area contact NYC Council members today and tomorrow morning urging them to oppose Bloomberg's e-cig usage ban.

I sent emails and I'm not from the NYC, they have no soul....
No heart, and in some cases no sacks depending on the sex.

Gr8Scott

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2012
Ifaitoldzya, Umytszlapmi
To the legislators, officials and derriere-clowns in NY (and in all other "common sense ......ed" anti-eCig districts) whom oppose the life saving attributes of vaping:

Crappy Holidays to you and yours;

Seriously, you that are in New york have these idiots banning everything from Trans fats to sodas, make the cigarette buying age to 21 ( So you can enlist and fight for your country, maybe die in battle; but aren't mature enough to buy tobacco) and now challenge "the gift of life" that e cigs give..... who knows what's next.

It would seem your sheer numbers in population would make an organized effort to take back your city very easy. I am very sorry you are dealing with this idiotic crap. May strength and power be with you and know we are with you in spirit and intent. And a genuine Merry Christmas and happy holiday's to you that are oppressed.

Last edited:

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
I'm afraid there's no reversing on this issue. Once they ban something it stays banned. Look how long and what it took to get Another herb legalized again in a couple places. The only ban reversal ever effected in reasonable time was the alcohol prohibition. These guys never learn...

Ott, I'm saddened by the state of affairs that has slowly transformed Big Apple into Bigger Nanny.

sebt

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2012
Budapest, Hungary
I'm afraid there's no reversing on this issue.
I'm sad and angry to say that I think you're right. It's incredibly difficult to reverse a piece of legislation. That would involve admitting that the original legislation was wrong - and that's too much for politicians' fragile little egos to take. The likelihood of legislation being reversed is inversely proportional to the amount of bull.... used to argue for it. And so in this case, with "threats to denormalisation" being explicitly quoted as a reason by NYC spokesperson Christine Quinn, it'll be a cold day in hell before they reverse it. Doesn't mean it's impossible, though! Any New Yorkers need a bit of petition-signing or email writing from non-residents, you know where to ask!

AudreySchroder

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
www.V4L.com
I grew up in NYC and all I can say is when the councils held their meetings on e-cigs it would be nice to see men and women dressed like businessmen and women and refrain from showing off their e-cigs by sending a huge cloud of vapor into the air.

I agree. I read that the Council Members didn't particularly care for all the vapor clouds during one of their meetings. I mean, if you want people to take you seriously, don't piss them off!

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com
I'm sad and angry to say that I think you're right. It's incredibly difficult to reverse a piece of legislation. That would involve admitting that the original legislation was wrong - and that's too much for politicians' fragile little egos to take. The likelihood of legislation being reversed is inversely proportional to the amount of bull.... used to argue for it. And so in this case, with "threats to denormalisation" being explicitly quoted as a reason by NYC spokesperson Christine Quinn, it'll be a cold day in hell before they reverse it. Doesn't mean it's impossible, though! Any New Yorkers need a bit of petition-signing or email writing from non-residents, you know where to ask!

I don't travel much, but if I ever get to NYC it would be tempting to cut a straw in half and spend all my indoor time pretending to smoke it. ESPECIALLY if the weather is so cold you can see your breath, then I could include parks and doorways. Maybe we could get a straw-maker to create "Bloomberg" straws or "Big Apple" straws.

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Was surprised and disappointed that the NYC Council vote was 42-8 to ban vaping wherever smoking is banned (even outdoors at Central Park).

But considering the lack of viewers and replies to this thread during the past week (compared to many other ECF threads), it appears that many/most vapers don't care.

Here's a Reuters article
New York City Council votes to add e-cigarettes to smoking ban | Reuters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread