Unusual eGo-C Battery Issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlew

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2012
WV, USA
jspcrepair.angelfire.com
I have yet to come across an issue like this one.

900mah Authentic eGo-C, one month old (give or take a day).
New (used about one week) Vision 2.0 Clearomizer

1) Works for a few puffs.
2) Button LED completely goes out and no power or vape.
3) Button does not blink first, just stops working.
4) Screwing it into a charger and plugging it in causes the Button LED to blink 5 times, showing charging.
5) The Charger LED is Green - shows battery as fully charged.
6) Taking it off the charger after only a few seconds, the Button LED works, is white, and vapes.
7) Multimeter shows Full Voltage of 3.9v to 4.1v.
8) After a few puffs, same thing - Button LED goes out or will not work, no power, no vape.
9) Repeat of putting on charger for a few seconds is the only thing that fixes it for a short time - as if
it "Resets" it somehow.

Clearomizer contact post is in tact and not off center.
Nothing appears to be "Crossover Shorting" within the contact areas of the Carto bottom or in the battery
center pin area.

What could be causing the "Protection Switch" (if one exists) to trip after a few puffs?
This also happened once while just holding it and when a vape was attempted, nothing worked.

I am very confused at this problem...

jlew

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2012
WV, USA
jspcrepair.angelfire.com
Thanks... I was able to solve it earlier ... thanks anyway... it was a shorted clearo.

While my friend was here this morning, we tried another clearo... the one that came with my first Kit.
It worked flawlessly so that is when I figured it was a short.

I completely disassembled the shorted one, including the head... re-centered the contact pin, removed
and re-seated the wick in the head... put it all back together and Voila!
I called him about 1:30 and it was still working fine...
I just came back from over there a few minutes ago and it is still going strong.

My guess was either an off-center contact pin and/or a misplaced wire from the coil touching +/+
in the head somewhere..

I am glad I could help him out because he has been "Jonesing" since Saturday evening and I didn't want
to see him go get a pack of cigarettes.

:)

Now the one I can't figure out is one of the cheaper K8 Etched 1100mah batteries.

The Button LED works, the charger shows green always (good sign it is not charging at all), and
it turns on and off (5 click) normally ... but

No voltage coming from the battery pin.

The battery pin is still in tact with the inside wire and NO atty or clearomizer will work on it.
Some even cause the LED to blink then stay on constantly...

My guess with this one is a shorted chip inside.

No real big deal - it is trashed and I bought a new 650mah JoyeTech eGo-C in place of it.

:)

** A Good Lesson: Never buy hardware if it does not have some form of warranty or from
a place with an "All Sales Final, No Returns" policy...
It was under 30 days old and quit and there was no fixing it but no way to get it replaced
either... so I am out at least $16.00 on that deal.

Last edited:

jlew

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2012
WV, USA
jspcrepair.angelfire.com
I did a full check over of his entire system and found that the eGo-C battery is in fact an authentic
but apparently, the Clearomizer is not.

When I bought a rebuildable "Vision 2.0", it actually has the V// ("V" with 3 lines making the right arm)
symbol laser etched right on smooth chrome area above the center post grip.
His does not have this mark.
I found out that the Vision Clearomizers are like anything else out there and a lot of manufacturers
are making copycat Visions for a cheaper rate. Not saying there is much wrong with that due to
the cheaper ones still working well - I have one and it works just like the real one.

I was first concerned that the battery may have been a copycat but it has all the right markings and
button looks (smoke gray with a semi-clear center) and works as it is supposed to (button changes
colors per charge level remaining).

I would guess that the head or clearo itslef may have been a sub-par brand OR just part of a bad batch.

Now, he tells me "I am not sure what you did but it works like the day I bought it or better".

So, he is happy. :)

I won't buy copycats anymore if I can help it... not so much for fear of not working,
because that can happen with even a top line brand... I would be more afraid of being inured.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread