Status
Not open for further replies.

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
Has anyone experimented with unbalanced dual coil builds? By unbalanced I mean two coils of differing resistance and/or wire gauge.

What I am thinking of is using a 1.0 ohm microcoil with 26 gauge Kanthal and a 2.0 microcoil with 30 gauge Kanthal.

Doing this of course makes estimating the resistance before building and actually measuring its resistance more complicated, since the resistance is the inverse of the sum of the inverse resistance of each individual coil.

Resistance = 1 / (1/A + 1/B), where A = resistance of first coil and B = resistance of second coil.

So a 1.0 ohm coil and a 2.0 ohm coil connected in parallel will have a resistance of 0.67 ohms.

1 / (1/1 + 1/2)
= 1 / 1.5
= 0.67 ohms

Or you can make things a bit simpler if you use two 1.3 ohm microcoils, one built with 26 gauge and the other with 30 gauge wire. Connected in parallel, the resistance of the two coils will be one-half of the resistance of one of the coils, so 0.65 ohms.

The reason why I am thinking of trying this is the fact that thicker wire takes longer to heat up, while thinner wire heats up quicker. I am hoping that combining the two will give a vape with less ramp-up while still having the high density that thicker wire coils offer.

*Anyone attempting these builds must confirm whether their batteries can safely deliver required ~6.5 amps.*

Mitey F

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan, yearning for home
In theory, it could work, and I'm sure many (like myself) have thought of this before. However, it's much easier to find a happy medium with a single coil, some combination of ramp up and good vapor. Remember, if you have 2 different coils, looking to get the best of both worlds, it's very likely you'll also have the WORST of both worlds. It seems entirely possible that when you take a hit, at first the smaller coil will be working well, but by the time the larger coil kicks in with more vapor, the smaller one will already be burning.

I don't think it's terribly difficult to find a "regular" dual coil setup that will heat quickly AND produce the desired vapor.

With that said, give it a shot. If it works, that's awesome. If not, no harm no foul.

RickCain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
The only problem I could see is the higher ohm coil will not heat up as fast causing the flavor to change. Would give the effect of a low battery hit on a normal configuration.

Same with equal resistance coils in different gage wire, the thicker wire requires more current than the thinner resulting in problems.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
Interesting theory, not sure what would happen in practice....:) Might have to try this with different gauges and / or different resistance with same gauge myself.

Experiments are what push vaping forward, finds new products and methods. Cotton wicking is accepted and normal now, but was a "hmmm, what if" experiment not so long ago.

glasseye

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2012
NJ
I have a dual coil build right now, one coil is 28 ga kanthal and one coil is ribbon wire, I forget the size right now. They heat up almost together and come out to 1.3. To me it's just OK. It was my first try with ribbon wire and I'm not quite sure I like it well enough yet to do a dual with it. It does work though.
here's a quick pic. It not as deeply slushy as it looks. lol
coils.jpg

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
The only problem I could see is the higher ohm coil will not heat up as fast causing the flavor to change. Would give the effect of a low battery hit on a normal configuration.

Same with equal resistance coils in different gage wire, the thicker wire requires more current than the thinner resulting in problems.

I agree that two coils of different resistance probably won't work well. But with equal resistance coils made with different wire thicknesses, while the thicker wire will take a bit longer to get to temperature, it doesn't require any more current. As long as the resistance is matched, each coil will get the same amount of current.

metamorpheus

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2013
AZ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread