Two Stories...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cramptholomew

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Maryland
The first: I went to an outdoor wedding yesterday. After the ceremony, while still by the seating area, and after most of the people had left to go to the reception up the hill (except my family), I pulled out my PV and started vaping. I didn't even think twice about it, since it was my first cousin's wedding, and it was OUTSIDE for heaven's sake. The next thing I know, some control freak from the venue came up to me and told me that I had to move to the smoking area. I told him that I wasn't smoking, that it was vapor, and he said "I don't care. All devices are only allowed in the smoking area." I mean, it didn't even CROSS MY MIND that it would be unacceptable to vape. This was my first experience with "vaper prejudice". This was in Lancaster, PA. I posted last week about people being douchey, and vaping where it would draw negative attention to vaping, but this was a wholly different situation. I couldn't believe how ostracized I felt. I didn't take it any farther with the employee, since it wouldn't have made any difference. People are idiots. Ignorant idiots.

Second story: I also posted last week about my Aunt and Uncle being my first converts. My uncle switched from cigs to cigars YEARS ago, due to a heart attack, but he has smoked numerous cigars daily, and had recently started inhaling them. He just got his first PV (smoktech 900mAh winder and smoktech ARO clearo.) on Wednesday, and has been loving it. Anyway, Auntie and Uncle were at the wedding with me yesterday. After the dinner part of the reception, my Brother-in-law came around with a box of expensive cigars, and gave one to my uncle. An H. Upmann signature/cru/awesomeness or something like that. I don't doubt that it was a $15-$20 cigar. Uncle lit it up and started smoking it - he loves his cigars. About 3 minutes later, and after about 3/4 an inch in, he looks at me and says, "it's not the same". I asked him, "the vaping isn't the same as smoking your cigars, or the cigars aren't the same anymore?" He said, "the cigars aren't the same anymore". He put it in the ash tray, and pulled out his PV. Didn't touch the cigar after that. We had a conversation about it, and I won't bore you with the details, but I was elated that this happened. He's all excited about how much better and cleaner his life is going to be. I feel the same way.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
First story: Eff' 'em! No way I would let 'em ban my vaping, especially if I'm outside. Let 'em call da cops if they must!!!

Second story: AWESOME!!!
thumbsup.gif

Scoper50

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
It's amazing how bad burning tobacco tastes when you have fully functioning taste buds.

As with everybody here i used to think cigarettes and cigars tasted awesome. Not so much anymore.
I was at a dog park today and 75% of the adults were smoking. I didn't even have my provari with me. I thought about bumming a smoke off somebody, but i knew i wouldn't enjoy it. Instead i just stood there enjoying the conversation. But in the back of my mind, i was feeling sorry for all those people paying $8 a pack for cigarettes.

jg1986

Verified Member
May 25, 2013
California
The first: I went to an outdoor wedding yesterday. After the ceremony, while still by the seating area, and after most of the people had left to go to the reception up the hill (except my family), I pulled out my PV and started vaping. I didn't even think twice about it, since it was my first cousin's wedding, and it was OUTSIDE for heaven's sake. The next thing I know, some control freak from the venue came up to me and told me that I had to move to the smoking area. I told him that I wasn't smoking, that it was vapor, and he said "I don't care. All devices are only allowed in the smoking area." I mean, it didn't even CROSS MY MIND that it would be unacceptable to vape. This was my first experience with "vaper prejudice". This was in Lancaster, PA. I posted last week about people being douchey, and vaping where it would draw negative attention to vaping, but this was a wholly different situation. I couldn't believe how ostracized I felt. I didn't take it any farther with the employee, since it wouldn't have made any difference. People are idiots. Ignorant idiots.

Man, I have a story exactly like this one, except with a different outcome. I was at my first cousins wedding 2 weeks ago. After the ceremony, I decided to step around the corner to vape. As soon as I blew out a cloud, I hear a security guard telling me smoking was only permitted in the designated smoking area. I then explained it wasn't smoking. It wasn't smoke at all. I told her it was vapor. I then told her I would gladly go to the smoking area if she insisted, and she said it was not necessary. A few hours later, I decided to vape again after dinner. As soon as I pull out my device, another security guard comes up and tells me to go to the designated smoking area. I explained to him I wasn't smoking. It was merely vapor similar to water vapor. He told me I could vape wherever I pleased, and wished me a good night.

I find if I show respect back instead of acting like I'm entitled to vape where ever I damn well please, I get better results.

cramptholomew

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Maryland
Man, I have a story exactly like this one, except with a different outcome. I was at my first cousins wedding 2 weeks ago. After the ceremony, I decided to step around the corner to vape. As soon as I blew out a cloud, I hear a security guard telling me smoking was only permitted in the designated smoking area. I then explained it wasn't smoking. It wasn't smoke at all. I told her it was vapor. I then told her I would gladly go to the smoking area if she insisted, and she said it was not necessary. A few hours later, I decided to vape again after dinner. As soon as I pull out my device, another security guard comes up and tells me to go to the designated smoking area. I explained to him I wasn't smoking. It was merely vapor similar to water vapor. He told me I could vape wherever I pleased, and wished me a good night.

I find if I show respect back instead of acting like I'm entitled to vape where ever I damn well please, I get better results.

I was very polite to the guy, and it wasn't a situation where "I was going to vape wherever the hell I please". He basically cut me off before I could even finish what I was saying. He gave not one &@ # ! about what I had to say. I'm glad your experience was different than mine, and that you're respectful of others. So am I. I guess it was a case of "some people are just jerks". In this case, that guy had no respect for me, and therefore was a jerk.

I wrote an email to the venue, in hopes that they change their view on vaping.

icewall

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
I was very polite to the guy, and it wasn't a situation where "I was going to vape wherever the hell I please". He basically cut me off before I could even finish what I was saying. He gave not one &@ # ! about what I had to say. I'm glad your experience was different than mine, and that you're respectful of others. So am I. I guess it was a case of "some people are just jerks". In this case, that guy had no respect for me, and therefore was a jerk.

Another option would be to just stealth vape in view of they guy and watch the cogs churning in his head wondering if they is no smoke, is there a fire. :)

jg1986

Verified Member
May 25, 2013
California

I wasn't implying that you were disrespectful or had an attitude of entitlement. I was speaking from my own experience. It is ....ty when you do run across that person who is an ... no matter what. I have read so many threads on ECF where people have that attitude of entitlement. Hopefully, someone in a high position at the venue will hear you and make a change.

Dready

Verified Member
Jul 15, 2013
New York, NY

Second story: I also posted last week about my Aunt and Uncle being my first converts. My uncle switched from cigs to cigars YEARS ago, due to a heart attack, but he has smoked numerous cigars daily, and had recently started inhaling them. He just got his first PV (smoktech 900mAh winder and smoktech ARO clearo.) on Wednesday, and has been loving it. Anyway, Auntie and Uncle were at the wedding with me yesterday. After the dinner part of the reception, my Brother-in-law came around with a box of expensive cigars, and gave one to my uncle. An H. Upmann signature/cru/awesomeness or something like that. I don't doubt that it was a $15-$20 cigar. Uncle lit it up and started smoking it - he loves his cigars. About 3 minutes later, and after about 3/4 an inch in, he looks at me and says, "it's not the same". I asked him, "the vaping isn't the same as smoking your cigars, or the cigars aren't the same anymore?" He said, "the cigars aren't the same anymore". He put it in the ash tray, and pulled out his PV. Didn't touch the cigar after that. We had a conversation about it, and I won't bore you with the details, but I was elated that this happened. He's all excited about how much better and cleaner his life is going to be. I feel the same way.

AWESOME for your uncle, as for story 1 in NY where Ilive you cannot smoke on train platforms. On my regular commute in the morning i was vaping on the platform and a VERY angry commuter actually got out of his seat waled 20-25 feet up to me and said " NO SMOKING ON THE PLATFORM" I calmly responded with a Im not smoking im vaping, only to be met with an dirty look. a few minutes later I was approached by MTA Police ( yes the guy called the cops) I simply explained I was vaping and there was no harmful second hand vapors. and they left me alone. I then proceeded to laugh and make faced at the angry train commuter. :vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread