Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
The next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday 22nd May 9pm at ECR:

ECR Chatroom
Community Chat 7

- create an account and login to the open ECCA room.

If you need a pass it is: eccaroom

You can listen to the meeting, and if you have a headset (or a laptop with cam and mic) you can take part by voice, with video if wanted, otherwise questions can be typed in text input mode.

Last edited:

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Thanks to Scott and Fiona at ECR for the Chatroom meeting facility.

Plenty of interesting stuff discussed, including the new website News/Blog section.

Members want ECCA to do something about the "One carto = 40 cigarettes" claims made by some vendors, so we will publish an article on this subject with our point of view.

On the VT Talk show today (Wednesday eve) we kicked some of these topics around and Dave Dorn said he will also drop in and do a blog post on [whatever takes his fancy] but will probably include the 'carto / cigarette equivalency issue' no doubt.

Running the numbers, it's hard for vendors to make any claims that vaping is cheaper than smoking, for people who buy pre-filled cartos, if the cartos only work out to being equivalent to say seven cigarettes in the real world. There is a lot of pressure on them to make unrealistic claims, because you might not be able to save money over smoking unless you buy e-liquid to refill the cartos with. If you take away the cost-saving part of the marketing appeal, it handicaps them badly compared to other vendors who make unrealistic claims.

It's a topic worth expanding on the ECCA site and members want us to do something about it, so that's what we'll do. The language used might have to be a bit careful though as we don't want letters from ECITA lawyers :)

What we might need is a test programme by various users to determine what they themselves got out of a carto. If we report personal opinions of users then it becomes much easier to do. If a user reports they got about 5 cigarettes worth, or 25 cigarettes worth from a carto - then that's fine. It can be reported.

As an end user, the claims of liquid equivalent to cigarettes is a deal killer for me.

Over a few weeks, I've worked out a cart is good for about 6 fags - so for a whole day, I need at least two carts in my pockets.
Same thing is true for claims of 20ml being the same as 400 cigarettes - what nonsense. I would guess, 200 at the very most. Of course, the more nicotine in the mix, the longer it lasts, as people need to vape less. Its obviously not a science! ;)

More damaging is that the entire credibility of the vaping industry is called into question. New customers feel cheated before they have really got into vaping as an alternative to smoking.

While it isn't possible to instantly stop people making ridiculous claims, it its possible to put more realistic claims on the product packaging manufactured in the UK.

Out of interest, is this the best place to make comments like this, or should I post elsewhere?

Oli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread