Travelling to Malaysia

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyj

Jun 17, 2016
Hi everyone
Glad to have found this excellent forum, it seems like the place to be.
I know there are already some posts here about vaping in Malaysia but most are from last year and I'm trying to get some really solid up-to-date information.
I'm traveling London - KL in a few weeks. After that I'm taking several flights internally around Sabah / Sarawak in Borneo before returning home. Can anyone give me any good guidance on the rules about
1. Taking my own ecig and liquid to Malaysia?
2. vaping once I'm there?
3. Taking it in checked baggage on flights?
Thanks for your help!
Tom

Leo Bak

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2015
Netherlands
Hi and welcome.

1. Not too sure about the situation right now, you might want to do a thorough search. You can always get juice and batteries locally btw.

2. Although vaping isn't totally prohibited yet, it varies per state. Several muslims consider vaping 'haram', i should take care where to vape.

3. This is what Malaysian Airlines says: Plan - Baggage - Cabin Baggage | Malaysia Airlines

In the past year when flying across Europe, i always had one bag with all my vaping goods in my cabin baggage and showed it to customs fully opened: batteries, liquid, charger, tanks, mods, coil gear. Make sure there are no batteries in your checked baggage. So far i've had no issues with it, except in Ireland when i had forgotten there was a bottle of juice in my pocket.

Reactions: tommyj

tommyj

Jun 17, 2016
Very useful thanks Leo, especially that link which I hadn't found. You'd have to assume that if they allow ecigs in carry-on baggage, we're not going to get arrested at customs.
I have read that since Jan 1 2016 there has been a crackdown on vendors but the picture is very mixed depending where you look. Vaping itself seems to be a grey area, but I agree with your advice to be careful where I do it.
Interestingly, the haram ruling also applies to tobacco, and has for some time. But most people just ignore it and it never gets enforced because it's impractical.
Cheers

Reactions: Leo Bak

Kevin Vapes

Oct 12, 2015
Malaysia
Hi everyone
Glad to have found this excellent forum, it seems like the place to be.
I know there are already some posts here about vaping in Malaysia but most are from last year and I'm trying to get some really solid up-to-date information.
I'm traveling London - KL in a few weeks. After that I'm taking several flights internally around Sabah / Sarawak in Borneo before returning home. Can anyone give me any good guidance on the rules about
1. Taking my own ecig and liquid to Malaysia?
2. Vaping once I'm there?
3. Taking it in checked baggage on flights?
Thanks for your help!
Tom

No problem for Malaysia, bringing in and travelling around all the states. You cannot take it into Singapore or Brunei. It will be confiscated on the spot. For flights, remove batteries from your mods then pack your mod, tank, juices in your checked in luggage and your batteries in your hand carry. This is what I will recommend to any traveller, although I've managed to sneak everything, with batteries removed of course in a hand luggage knapsack so I can vape before and after my flight without having to revert to my checked in luggage much

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread