Status
Not open for further replies.

anjelvape77

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2015
Alabama
and I was ready to make the switch. I never tried to just QUIT smoking, because I knew I'd fail (and I'm also a stress-smoker), so I just avoided those thoughts the best I could.
Good afternoon fellow stress smoker! If it hadn't been for the TP's thread I would probably still be stress smoking but about 200 pages ago I wracked the brains there and used almost every suggestion they threw out, it worked I beat the stickies abd haven't looked back.

I keep posting to my thread friends so maybe I should get my story post up but that a minute to tap out on my tiny phone lol :oops:

anjelvape77

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2015
Alabama
I'll skip my smoking past and just fast forward through those 20 years to my vape journey..I actually started about a year ago but vape was just for the long drives to and from my husband. I had been a PAD smoker except on those drives when I would chain smoke for 15 hour at a time so we got me an ego starter kit an extra tank and 2 juices. It worked to cut the stinkies on the trip but still I smoked all other times. Then earlier this year my mom died and it was revealed that the infection that took her probably saved her from dying of lung cancer. I decided to quit smoking but it was not an easy road in a house of smokers, then I was hospitalized from lung related issues...before they released me they dropped the COPD bomb on me and at only 37 it really was like a bomb so I embraced vaping and within 3 weeks time had helped convert my entire household of 5 :smokie:to 5 vapers!

Unfortunately the last time my husband left to work my vape journey hit the rocks and I backslid. After much love and help from tootle puffers I made it through and have not had a craving since...I'm happier and already loads healthier (after the hospital u couldn't walk 900 feet without respiratory distress and last week I was walking up and back down four flights of stairs without even losing my breath)

That's the short (lol) Version of my journey lol:rolleyes:

redrebel821

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2015
Houston area
I'll skip my smoking past and just fast forward through those 20 years to my vape journey..I actually started about a year ago but vape was just for the long drives to and from my husband. I had been a PAD smoker except on those drives when I would chain smoke for 15 hour at a time so we got me an ego starter kit an extra tank and 2 juices. It worked to cut the stinkies on the trip but still I smoked all other times. Then earlier this year my mom died and it was revealed that the infection that took her probably saved her from dying of lung cancer. I decided to quit smoking but it was not an easy road in a house of smokers, then I was hospitalized from lung related issues...before they released me they dropped the COPD bomb on me and at only 37 it really was like a bomb so I embraced vaping and within 3 weeks time had helped convert my entire household of 5 :smokie:to 5 vapers!

Unfortunately the last time my husband left to work my vape journey hit the rocks and I backslid. After much love and help from tootle puffers I made it through and have not had a craving since...I'm happier and already loads healthier (after the hospital u couldn't walk 900 feet without respiratory distress and last week I was walking up and back down four flights of stairs without even losing my breath)

That's the short (lol) Version of my journey lol:rolleyes:
Tootle Puffers always have each others backs!

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
Uncle, I always say count the ones you dont smoke so yes you have left stinkies behind... maybe not all of them yet but any at all count as wins.

Oh - I say the same exact same thing . . . It's not how many cigarettes I am smoking - But what I AM NOT smoking Today and that is what helps "Me" continue on this journey . . . AND - Without a doubt, I am not beating "Myself" up about it either . . . HEY - The ironic and somewhat funny thing is - that I am actually a Professional Counselor in "Human Behaviour Modification" and try to help others in coping with difficult situations and issue they encounter . . . SO - While, it is and has been difficult for "Me" (physically, psychologically, and emotionally) to make this transition into becoming a "Non-smoker", I know that someday I eventually will . . . Just Sayin' . . . ;)

redrebel821

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2015
Houston area
Oh - I say the same exact same thing . . . It's not how many cigarettes I am smoking - But what I AM NOT smoking Today and that is what helps "Me" continue on this journey . . . AND - Without a doubt, I am not beating "Myself" up about it either . . . HEY - The ironic and somewhat funny thing is - that I am actually a Professional Counselor in "Human Behaviour Modification" and try to help others in coping with difficult situations and issue they encounter . . . SO - While, it is and has been difficult for "Me" (physically, psychologically, and emotionally) to make this transition into becoming a "Non-smoker", I know that someday I eventually will . . . Just Sayin' . . . ;)
I think you just have to be in the "sweet spot" to completely quit... For now, you are a great "less smoker"...and that's a huge step!

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Well, it was summer 2010. A hot foggy morning here in Kentucky. The chickens were chasing the cat across the yard... While I was walking through the mall I saw a lady with a purple hat... Then to make matters worse my shoe was stuck to the floor... After climbing the hill to get a better vantage point I realized... This perplexed me, could she really be a man... But why would I need a cantaloupe, surely the doctor knew something he wasn't going to give up easily... Then I got a Provari V1 and an IBTank to go with my cartos... After That I realized why we needed the cantilope. It was for... And that's how I switched to vaping with this very setup. The End

:D
View attachment 472748
=not and entry=
OK Boden, what exactly do you put in your e-liquid? :blink: :lol:
Wow, I'm so excited now, looking at your pic!
running-around-smiley-emoticon.gif

Ladybear

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2015
Pa
Started smoking at 13 .... A pack a week shared among 5 girls....cigarettes hidden in the park to be picked up the next day for our walk trying to be grown up . parliaments with the recessed filter. We never smoked on the streets just on the hiking paths. Well that led into my long life of smoking ... 45 years later I'm chewing nicotine gum and thinking about cig everyday ..I couldn't talk on the phone, drink tea, drive the car without craving a cig...I was downright miserable and crabby. Tried the cig a likes and they made me happier but it wasn't until a b&M vape shop opened in our area and I timidly walked in and talked to the girl in the store about what I would need. At the time, I thought it would cost me at least $100 to get started. She hooked me up with an ego clone, a tank, and 2 small bottles of juice for $30 and I never looked back. I am now a happy vaper!!

Ladybear

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2015
Pa
Well, it was summer 2010. A hot foggy morning here in Kentucky. The chickens were chasing the cat across the yard... While I was walking through the mall I saw a lady with a purple hat... Then to make matters worse my shoe was stuck to the floor... After climbing the hill to get a better vantage point I realized... This perplexed me, could she really be a man... But why would I need a cantaloupe, surely the doctor knew something he wasn't going to give up easily... Then I got a Provari V1 and an IBTank to go with my cartos... After That I realized why we needed the cantilope. It was for... And that's how I switched to vaping with this very setup. The End

:D
View attachment 472748

I needed that laugh...you cracked me up!!!

Fuzzy Thunderbear

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2015
NOWHERE, SD, USA
A long time ago in a land far far away...

I grew up in a smoking family, so I guess I have been smoking since before birth (if you believe the cancer associations). Every adult, relative or not, seemed to smoke (Lucky Strike, Camel, Marlboro, Pall Mall) and every star on TV smoked. The TV ads even claimed that four out of five doctors smoke Camels. It seemed to me, that if you wanted to be (or appear to be) an adult, you best learn to smoke. Mom kept her cigarettes (Mulebugger Reds) in the refrigerator door (she said tobacco was a vegetable :unsure:), so it was easy to kype a pack about once a month and she wouldn't miss it. I was 12 when I started doing that. But I don't count those years as being "a smoker" because, well, a pack a month isn't really smoking, and I only did it when I could hide somewhere and not get caught. I puffed in private for several years, but in public I appeared to be a non-smoker and rarely even admitted to smoking to my friends (except those who also smoked).

Upon high school graduation, Uncle Sugar's Army got it's hands on me (Vietnam draft). So I quickly went across the hallway and enlisted in the USAF instead, where I was sure I could continue my education rather than just having an M-16 shoved in my hands and be told to go shoot people. During basic training, when the marching stopped and we all stood at parade rest, the drill instructor said, "Smoke 'em if ya got 'em." Smokers could then relax and move slightly, while non smokers had to stay at parade rest. So I bought a pack of Camels and didn't stop. That was 1967.

We currently live out on the remote prairie of South Dakota and the nearest real shopping is over 100 miles from home (the "big city"). It takes $50 worth of gas and all day to do the whole month's shopping, so I only do that one day every month. Because we stock up on everything to make it a whole month without a trip to the store, I was buying six cartons of butts for Wifey (she's already told her story here somewhere) and five or six for me. I never smoked more than two packs a day; my average was one carton per week -- sometimes less, sometimes a wee bit more.

A couple shopping trips ago, after we had briefly talked about e-cigs, I bought the usual six cartons each at the .... store and also came home with one of those little cig-alikes. It was a "one use and throw it away" type - no flavor available other than tobacco. It said it was equivalent to 40 cigarettes, but my guess is it didn't last longer than about 8-10. But we both tried it. Wifey wanted to search out more information while I remained quite skeptical. She found this forum and, after talking with several of the fine folks here, ordered an EVOD online. I was still doubtful. Besides cigarettes, I also occasionally smoked cigars and a pipe, so I figured to enter this "vaping game" on the e-pipe end of things and ordered a 618 e-pipe online, which took over two weeks to get here from China. It did not have an "on" button like Wifey's new toy, but was suction activated, and, as I told someone else here recently, the suck required to turn that thing on could have ignited a ram jet. Needless to say, I was not having a pleasant vaping experience. I sucked it in front of the boob tube after evening chores, but the rest of the day, kept smoking cigarettes. Wifey was already a total convert. I needed more information (I'm a data junkie) and more incentive.

I also joined this forum and asked a bunch of questions and found some new friends. Between them and Wifey, I got convinced to buy the cheap iStick and when it got here, I quickly learned to enjoy the vaping experience. I didn't like the tobacco e-juice I had for the pipe (and Wifey claimed it smelled like burned maple-flavored bacon), so I mixed some other flavors with it and added a bit of straight VG and came up with something that would keep me happy.

I would like very much to be able to lie to you and tell you that I haven't touched a cigarette since, but the fact is, I tootle puff in exactly the same manner that I smoke and I am a major Scrooge about wasting money. I still have a ciggy .... or two every night, and will until the last of my butts are burned up. I refuse to throw away what I paid good money for. Wifey, on the other hand, quit cold turkey and still has five cartons on the shelf. I will not smoke hers, nor would I ever suggest that she finish them. She's extremely happy to be a tootle puffer, and in that sense, I'd rather have her here than back on the butts. And when I finish sucking my stinkies, I won't buy any more because I already know I don't need them. At 2-3 butts a night (while the iStick recharges), it will only take a year to finish what I used to smoke in a couple weeks... for almost 50 years!

Hogs & Quiches,
Fuzzy

Last edited:

mac63

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2014
I tried some cigalikes about eight years ago and went thru a few different kits as time went on. None of them did the trick. A year and a half ago I looked into refillable setups - found some decent gear - that setup help me cut down on the smokes. Got a better setup that eventually worked well enough that I was able to quit.

Thanks for the contest!

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
Let me take you back.

It's the 13th October 2011 just before 10.30am and I am sitting at the kitchen table waiting for the postman. I heard him before I saw him and raced up our steep driveway (huffing and puffing) to greet him. Dancing around while he fumbles with his little scanning machine I sign for it and have to stop myself snatching it from his grip. It's here, it's here............... My Eliquid containing nicotine has arrived.

I am all prepared. I have two little 510t that I have been practising with for a couple of weeks all charged with 8 spare little batteries and I have my ashtray and ciggies next to my hand (just in case). I mixup the Eliquid give it a shake and let it steep for about 2 seconds. Load up those two little tanks and I vaped properly for the first time. I had my last cigarette during that 2 sec steep and over 3.5 years later I have not had another since.

You hear these stories all the time and I luv reading them, they are a credit to the faith in vaping we have. I try to revisit my story every so often as the memories of the poor health and the anguish over the hold those cigarettes had on me diminishes over time.

I started smoking at the ripe old age of 13 and 35 years later I was smoking 50-60 a day...... It ruled my life. I had tried everything to quit the habit and failed at every method so I was gobsmacked at how vaping made sense to my brain. I probably went through withdrawal during my practice period but it was never out of hand and I have had those days when nothing worked or tasted good but you know....... I worked through them.

I will be forever grateful to vaping and the wonderful vaping community. It has given me back my health and happiness and best of all I feel it has given me back my life with more time to get out and experience it.

Just to add a little snippet. I found carto tanks very early in my vaping journey and today they are the mainstay of my vaping arsenal. IMO Even in this age of complex choices..The best no fuss, no mess tootle puffing setup you can find.

Last edited:

redrebel821

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2015
Houston area
For certain!! And I'll never be able to express my gratitude for that but I'll keep trying and returning the love every chance I get:wub:
I've only had ONE time I really pictured myself with a cigarette...had dinner on graduation day with my son and my ex hubby...kept picturing myself putting out a cigarette on ex's bald spot...or right between his eyes. I didn't even want to smoke it...lol...just light and .... it out. I know if I ever do get the urge to smoke, there will be someone here ready to talk me down off of the ledge.

anjelvape77

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2015
Alabama
I've only had ONE time I really pictured myself with a cigarette...had dinner on graduation day with my son and my ex hubby...kept picturing myself putting out a cigarette on ex's bald spot...or right between his eyes. I didn't even want to smoke it...lol...just light and .... it out. I know if I ever do get the urge to smoke, there will be someone here ready to talk me down off of the ledge.
Several people sweetie! You know we got you!

Fuzzy Thunderbear

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2015
NOWHERE, SD, USA
I didn't even want to smoke it...lol...just light and .... it out.

Red, we love ya. You know that, don't you? But can we also help wind you down from the obvious anger you have for your ex? Whoa! I hear several people already saying, ".... out of her personal life!" If you didn't want to talk about it, you wouldn't bring it up here (more than once). We try to help each other with everything else that we all bring up here. How can we smooth your feathers with this? PM me if you don't want to talk in the open.

Hogs & Quiches,
Fuzzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread