Status
Not open for further replies.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
This seems to be a realm that is ripe for DIY / modding.

Research indicates there are some devices for vaporization of loose leaf vegetable matter. They appear to work by raising the temperature of vegetable substances enough to produce vapor, but not enough for combustion.

Some of the devices appear similar to battery mods and perhaps atomizers. Most of those which have a chamber for loose leaf matter don't seem to hold much quantity. It would seem far less than perhaps a cigarettes worth of material. I doubt a half-thimble-full of tobacco at a time would provide much satisfaction.

There are also some interesting looking ceramic heating tubes that have an inside diameter about that of a cigarette. Their length can be about that of a cigarette minus the filter. The heating tubes have a resistance foil with two electrical leads applied to the outside of the ceramic tube. Those elements appear to be covered with a film of some sort. Voltage options for the devices include those nominally found in most mods. I cannot find a way to purchase these from China without going through an intermediary...think 'industrial supplier.'

Those desiring to discuss tobacco Vaporization without Combustion feel free to post here.

Reactions: DrMA

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
Hi r77r7r,

I understand your apprehension.

When I took up vaping 6 years ago, I stopped the cigarettes 'on a dime.' I had a stash of stuff your own tubes and the better part of a pound of what was sold as 'pipe tobacco' sitting on a shelf in a closet. After 4 years, I decided to do away with it, but not by throwing it out. I remoistened the tobacco and for a while, smoked about 5 cigarettes a day until it was all gone in about a month or 6 weeks.

Afterwards, I felt no more drawn towards cigarettes than I had been before. That was my only foray back into cigarettes in my 6 years.

Reactions: ENAUD

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
This seems to be a realm that is ripe for DIY / modding.

Research indicates there are some devices for vaporization of loose leaf vegetable matter. They appear to work by raising the temperature of vegetable substances enough to produce vapor, but not enough for combustion.

Some of the devices appear similar to battery mods and perhaps atomizers. Most of those which have a chamber for loose leaf matter don't seem to hold much quantity. It would seem far less than perhaps a cigarettes worth of material. I doubt a half-thimble-full of tobacco at a time would provide much satisfaction.

There are also some interesting looking ceramic heating tubes that have an inside diameter about that of a cigarette. Their length can be about that of a cigarette minus the filter. The heating tubes have a resistance foil with two electrical leads applied to the outside of the ceramic tube. Those elements appear to be covered with a film of some sort. Voltage options for the devices include those nominally found in most mods. I cannot find a way to purchase these from China without going through an intermediary...think 'industrial supplier.'

Those desiring to discuss Tobacco Vaporization without Combustion feel free to post here.
I presume that this process, while cleaner than combustion is still dirtier than vaporizing eliquid? What i like about that is it's harder for regulators to allow the higher risk product will banning the lower risk one, assuing I'm right about the reletive risks.

I smoked a few cigarettes after stopping smoking to demonstrate to coworkers that i'm immune to relapse. I'm not doing that any more because it's too unpleasant. I'm cured or at a minimum I have a treatment that's as good as a cure since I enjoy it and it's free for practical purposes.

I'm sure I will never trade vaping for this other technology because it must be higher risk, because I no longer like the taste of tobacco and it certainly won't be less expensive. My DIY is 1.1 cents per ml, 5 cents a day, less than $20 a year. That's not cheap, it's free.

Heat not burn is doing well in Japan because vaping products are banned, not what I call a level playing fiield.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Thanks for that reminder. I either hadn't know or had forgotten that.
I knew about the success of heat not burn in Japan for a while and i had also read about Japanese vaping restrictions prior to that in another source and recently both points were in one article. I imagine this technology will get a following if it's allowed to. (I wonder if it would preserve the taste of expensive cigar or pipe tobacco.) It's just I won't be one of the customers for the reasons mentioned. But herbal vaporizers have been around for a while. Has anyone put tobacco in one of those and commented on the experience? I think you can buy them on Fastech?

Reactions: DrMA

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Although I have never heated tobacco I feel it might be to close to real smoking and one of the reasons I steer clear of Nets and WTA e-Liquids. It is only my opinion but I just think it might contain some of the nasty chemicals I ingested for many years while smoking. Not that I am afraid I will return to smoking I am really turned off by the burned tobacco smell nowadays.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
Although I have never heated tobacco I feel it might be to close to real smoking and one of the reasons I steer clear of Nets and WTA e-Liquids. It is only my opinion but I just think it might contain some of the nasty chemicals I ingested for many years while smoking. Not that I am afraid I will return to smoking I am really turned off by the burned tobacco smell nowadays.

From what I have read, HnB substantially removes odor from the realm of smelling like burnt tobacco.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
The tobacco companies will pay what iit costs to get their tobacco heating thing approved while most of the vape companies can't afford to do that so the higher risk product is approved and the lower risk product is not.

Since herbal vaporizers are available and of course tobacco is available haven't there been some experimenters who could share their experience? My understanding is tobacco leaf has a lot of nic but most is consumed by combustion. I wonder if more of the nic is derived by heat not burn so may be fewer puffs than smoking?

Reactions: Cool_Breeze
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread