Tobacco Flavors: What exactly has changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randyrtx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
Cedar Park, TX
A few months back, I found all the V4L tobacco flavors to be among the best around; Cowboy, Kamel, Kant, Parliament, and Virginia were all favorites that I would switch around with equal enjoyment.

Naturally, when the VG cartomizers became available, I had to try them, so I ordered several boxes each on Cowboy and Kamel. They were a big disappointment. The characteristic Cowboy and Kamel taste was nearly nonexistant; instead there was an overbearing, pungent, almost sickly taste. I've haven't used VG-based liquids much, so I don't really know if the taste is attributable to it or not.

Since then, nearly all of the cartomizers I've ordered have had that same taste to a greater or lesser extent; the exception being "premium" RY4 (it was present in premium Cowboy). The taste is definitely not present in the 5mL bottles, nor was it present in the old 20mL bottles, or the "old" 30mL bottles they were available for a very short time. Since I was able to rinse and refill the cartos from my liquid stock, it wasn't that much of a problem, up until now. Unfortunately for me, I just received one of the new 30mL bottles of Kamel, and the same taste is present in it.

I'm not that good at articulating nuances in flavors, so I can't really describe well what it tastes like; sort of a pungent, almost musty taste. My wife says it smells like marshmallows, but to me it smells a bit like burning dry grass.

I know there's been some transitional problems with getting flavors to match the old standards. And I also know (I think) that there's been some tweaking with VG to increase vapor production. But, I have to ask: is this how everything is going to taste now? I know taste is a very subjective thing, and some may not agree with me on this, but I really can't stand this "overtone" taste in everything.

Please note, in every instance where I've complained, V4L has bent over backwards to correct the problem; I have absolutely no complaints in that area. But, I'm concerned that this isn't a "fixable" issue, but is instead simply how it's going to be from now on.

I'd really like to hear from other tobacco flavor lovers on this (only because that's all I vape).

Meanwhile, I may have to see how many of the old formula 5mL bottles are left and stock up :(

Randyrtx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
Cedar Park, TX
It sounds to me like your taste buds hate VG - and the new cartos have a higher percentage of VG, I think.

I was afraid that might be the case, so to check that theory I decided to retry some 100% VG-based juice I bought months ago from a different vendor. It doesn't have that taste, so I don't think it's the VG alone that's the culprit. :confused:

I'm more confused now... what is causing that taste? Is there a flavoring that's common to all the tobacco flavors that wasn't used before?

Kratt

Jan 4, 2010
Brodhead, WI
A few months back, I found all the V4L tobacco flavors to be among the best around; Cowboy, Kamel, Kant, Parliament, and Virginia were all favorites that I would switch around with equal enjoyment.

Naturally, when the VG cartomizers became available, I had to try them, so I ordered several boxes each on Cowboy and Kamel. They were a big disappointment. The characteristic Cowboy and Kamel taste was nearly nonexistant; instead there was an overbearing, pungent, almost sickly taste. I've haven't used VG-based liquids much, so I don't really know if the taste is attributable to it or not.

I'm not that good at articulating nuances in flavors, so I can't really describe well what it tastes like; sort of a pungent, almost musty taste. My wife says it smells like marshmallows, but to me it smells a bit like burning dry grass.

I have to agree with Randyrtx on this. I've got 4 boxes of the Cowboy 11mg with the soft rubber tips and they just taste weird. They start out fine, but after vaping them for a little while, they go to the darkside :p They start getting this strange flavor/aftertaste....almost musty burnt marshmallows. They've never done that before, and I dont have the same problem with the kamel PG or cowboy VG. They really get gross tasting after a little use.

VAPNJSIN

Jan 29, 2010
cali
Same here, and I really dont think all our taste buds are changing at the same time. i had some old 5ml stock and compared too, there is definetly a difference! musty, stinky foot smell is what i get and a "lager" exhale.... i have 1000%VG juice too and it does not taste this way. something is off. If we all notice it at varying stages of vaping time it simply cannot be tastebuds....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread