Status
Not open for further replies.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
Hi peeps...
I don't usually dry burn my coils in high temps cause I don't like to see it glow much I feel like I ruin it...even kanthal...just enough to clean the gunk...
I see they say we shouldn't dry burn hard the stainless steel coils but I was curious about nichrome n80 can we dry burn it?
Also compare to kanthal...why use ni80? In case we want lower resistance and cause some say they get different or better flavour??? Is there any other difference or benefit???

Reactions: stols001

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
@Superuser187, I've never dry burnt a coil. Instead I drop them in Alcohol to clean (Isopropyl or Ethyl), leave to soak occasionally shaking and finally let them air dry before use.

And I use coils cleaned this way with TC, the only weird tastes I get is when the Rayon is breaking in and when everything needs changing due to gunk buildup.

And the different metal alloys are used for their properties. The main ones of concern though would probably be resistance, mass and TC precision.

As lower mass metals such as Titanium (which has to be used with TC) allows larger wire to be used which has a larger surface area, but keeps the mass low so that the coil can heat and cool rapidly.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hi peeps...
    I don't usually dry burn my coils in high temps cause I don't like to see it glow much I feel like I ruin it...even kanthal...just enough to clean the gunk...
    I see they say we shouldn't dry burn hard the stainless steel coils but I was curious about nichrome n80 can we dry burn it?
    Also compare to kanthal...why use ni80? In case we want lower resistance and cause some say they get different or better flavour??? Is there any other difference or benefit???

I've been dry burning at low wattage pulses (10-15watts) my ss316L coils, ni80 coils, ni90 coils and kanthal coils. So yeah, treat those ones as you have been doing with your kanthal coil.

I use unregulated mods, so ni80 gives me a lower resistance coil than kanthal. Ni80 is also said to ramp faster than kanthal, but I've got no idea why.

And yeah, all metals have a different taste. Some ppl prefer ss316l, some ni80, some kanthal. I personally can't taste much difference, so I just use what will work best for me.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 15, 2016
    Nichrome is my prefered alloy for the coils of my single battery mech mod atties. It simply has the best resistance to mass ratio for my prefered style of vaping.

Kanthal is used almost exclusively in my RTAs on top of my regulated mods, because I like to build them with slightly higher resistance coils.

I usually don't use SS. The only exception being the triple coil Azeroth RDA. You cannot dry burn it properly and the resistance is way too low for my prefered type of coils.
    Btw I don't notice any difference in flavor between all three.
    Nickel and Titanium will never see any use at all, because I never vape in TC mode.

Reactions: stols001
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread