Not open for further replies.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Yes, my husband recently had to switch back to Camel snus, because the place he used to order the Swedish snus from would have cost too much to ship. Once we get the money again, we'll be able to afford the larger order and get the Swedish snus again. The PACT act pretty much just protects BT snus.

Isn't that the truth Kristin. I'm just happy that I had the funds to order Pre-Pact and a great big freezer with plenty of room for non-edibles.:2cool:

The secret now is to look for sales and plan on spending something like two or three cartons worth for your order. I'm so fortunate to live in PA with distributors right here, still no ST tax and the ability to be here to sign for deliveries.

You're also right about PACT and just about everything that happens in tobacco these days. Not that I'm a conspiracy theorist or anything, but everything seems to be orchestrated toward making sure GP and GT stay in the game as the only major players. I almost hate to advertise how good SS is, especially compared to SNUS, GT style. I fear that the powers that be will make it harder and harder to get if it gets too popular. If we think E cigs is small, think about how small the SS market is, although SNUS may move some to the Swedish snus world.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
tobacco specialty retailers carry (or can obtain if you desire) many different brands of snus. The FSPTCA prohibits the FDA from banning snus or other smokeless tobacco products (that have been on the market since 2007). The biggest threats facing snus and other smokeless tobacco products are excessively high state tax rates (already enacted by about 20 states) and a potential ban on flavorings, the latter of which the FDA would have to conclude would be beneficial to public health benefit before promulgating regs to implement. NYC enacted a flavoring ban on smokeless tobacco and cigars, which is being challenged in court.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
To my knowledge, Kretek International is the first tobacco company to market e-cigarettes, which is a very important development (as I didn't think tobacco companies would begin marketing e-cigarettes until the FDA promulgated regs for e-cigarettes as tobacco products.

Kretek is based in Indonesia, and most of Kretek's revenues are derived from the sale of clove cigarettes (which is the most common type of cigarette smoked in Indonesia), and Kretek has been selling clove cigars in the US since the FSPTCA banned clove cigarettes).

As the one who urged Sen. Mike Enzi to successfully amend the FSPTCA in 2007 to ban clove flavored cigarettes (which was in the original FSPTCA legislation, but Kennedy removed the clove ban from the legislation in 2007), I regret that decision because there was no evidence that clove cigarettes were being marketed to youth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread