Status
Not open for further replies.

Icon

Verified Member
Feb 24, 2012
North Carolina
I am at frustration when I hear that people can not sell VAPOR products by quoting they help people quit smoking. Fact is, they do and better then anything else INVENTED to do so. I know the facts as to why; solely due to Nicotine. it's a poison, yes. So is Caffeine and other food products we consume. Well, it's not a food when we use it in vaping, right. I understand that but WTH is the difference, if, ANY. People will fight it and will lose. That is the sad truth, no matter how hard we fight, the minority always lose (most of the time.) But we are not helping the cause, at......ALL. When we relate the products to our enemy (cigarettes) we are deeming it as such or in relation too. Just like this form (no disrespect) the biggest word I see is E-cigarette. Most "e-cigs" don't look like a cigarette. I can understand having them look like one for the smoker looking to switch, but why not just call the "product" a look-a-like?
Seems we should change our words/titles in order to stray from the evil side. Maybe we would have a better chance in winning over the majority. Words like Vapor, Vape, Water Clouds, etc. sound better then the relation words from an analog.
Another thing that will hurt our cause is, any E-juice that will smell and or taste like "(OTHER STUFF)." That will hurt BIG TIME, when the media and other sources try passing laws to ban or restrict our freedom to vape. I don't want to buy my E-juice from the "(OTHER STUFF)" dealer or "bootleg" an E-vapor.

These are my opinions, nothing more or less. *no humans where harmed in the making of this trend*

edit by classswife:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-forum-rules/51178-forum-rules.html
9.3 Discussion or mention of illegal/illicit drugs or sexual content.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ation/255864-why-we-dont-allow-drug-talk.html

Last edited by a moderator:

lavegas04

Supporting Member
Verified Member
Jul 13, 2012
Palm Bay FL
I would agree with you. However, being a very newbie it will take time to change mindset. Right now everything is still cigarette related to me, but after only one week I am starting to remember the word vape more and smoke less. Ecig now becoming PV. It is important that those of us using PVs use proper terminology to help the non pv using world understand the difference. I also agree that PVs can be a useful tool in eliminating nicotine from the body. I hope to get to Omg nicotine but still enjoy the sensory experience of vaping. For me personally the sensory experience is extremely calming. It's always been my downfall when attempting to quit analogs-How to find that substitution for that sensory experience that provides me with the same calming benefit? And I'm so not a yoga person, so that never worked for me. That's always everyone's first suggestion to me and I do use breathing techniques for a variety of health issues so I do believe it works just not for me for this situation.

Neya

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
MA
While I totally agree with you on some levels. I think it's about marketing. I know of many people who wouldnt look twice at a "vaporizer" or "Vapor" and link it to perhaps helping them quit smoking. In fact, when I hear vaporizer I think something totally different. My mom, in example, would have never looked at a "Vape" product. She was intrigued by the "E cigararette" "smoke anywhere" slogans.

smokum

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario -CANADA-
Personally IMHO...... it won't make a difference in the least.

Those that oppose do so because they don't have a valid involvement or are the sheeple that get pleasure hopping on the anti train of anything that offers them a holier than thou emotion.

And for gov't or business (health care ?), there are mandates and objectives that demand the opposition for financial gain or control.

That will never change their mindsets, regardless of what anyone calls the 'hobby' or 'essential healthy change' vaping has become in lieu smoking tobacco.

Again... only MY opinion.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Personally IMHO...... it won't make a difference in the least.

Those that oppose do so because they don't have a valid involvement or are the sheeple that get pleasure hopping on the anti train of anything that offers them a holier than thou emotion.

And for gov't or business (health care ?), there are mandates and objectives that demand the opposition for financial gain or control.

That will never change their mindsets, regardless of what anyone calls the 'hobby' or 'essential healthy change' vaping has become in lieu smoking tobacco.

Again... only MY opinion.

You make some valid points. But there is a vast middle ground of people who don't smoke, but are not zealots about it, who could be swayed to a degree either against vaping or acceptable to vaping depending on the perception they are given about the activity. If the perception they see the most frequently is smokers trying to bring "smoking" back to a level of acceptance by continuing to smoke cigarette named and sized devices, they may be swayed against vaping. If on the other hand, their percpetion is one of people finding a non-harmful alternative to stop smoking with both terminalogy and devices that appear significantly different than smoking, they may be swayed to receive vaping in a positive light.

Perception is reality. The more distance we put between vaping and smoking, both in appearance and terminalogy, the better for the vaping community as a whole.

PaulB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2010
Virginia
These ideas are batted around here fairly often. How one comes down on it seems a matter of basic viewpoint. I think the reason we're all here has to do with the most smoking-like substitute for smoking that there is. I would think there is at least some psychological value for some people to use terminology that emphasizes how much vaping is like smoking. As such, I would never think of criticizing somebody who finds it beneficial to refer to "smoking" their "e-cigarette." Likewise, I think that similarity to smoking is a crucial element of promoting the practice to smokers and advertising products. (Anybody who doesn't want a smoking-like way to give up cigarettes has a lot of other choices: pills, gum, patches, inhalers, cold-turkey, prayer, etc.)

I would think that the only reason to eradicate all smoking terminology from vaping would be to try and placate (or fool) anti-smoking policy makers into thinking that this product isn't so much like smoking--even though, whatever you call it, it is evident that people who vape are putting an object in their mouths, inhaling, exhaling, and enjoying, all in a way quite similar to smoking. In other words, I don't think changing the terminology is going to have any effect on those who so hate smoking and smokers as to want to ban anything that resembles it. But continuing to educate and campaign on the important health-related differences is essential.

Last edited:

smokum

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario -CANADA-
I find that most with an anti attitude is only due to the visual exhale.... how accepting would these types actually become should the hobby/need of vaping not actually emit a visual vapor ?

I actually think they would be appeased with that without even looking at the physical reaction the substance gives the user. Of course, at the detriment of the user who desires/needs the visual effect of faux 'smoke' to switch over from cigarettes.

People are a strange breed..... where you can't please EVERYONE one way or another. If it's not that they feel (as non's) that you are invading their airspace with a substance they don't want supposed exposure to (been proven it does not), it's the feeling of entitlement that they actually have some 'say' in what others do.

Yes, education is key..... but in reality, 'I feel' its a whole lot more of 'mind your own business' approaches that seem fitting to the handcore 'don't want to hear it... lalalalalalala' types.

Now, how about those bastids that bathe in perfume/colognes that annoy my senses and make it hard to breath ?

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
These ideas are batted around here fairly often. How one comes down on it seems a matter of basic viewpoint. I think the reason we're all here has to do with the most smoking-like substitute for smoking that there is. I would think there is at least some psychological value for some people to use terminology that emphasizes how much vaping is like smoking. As such, I would never think of criticizing somebody who finds it beneficial to refer to "smoking" their "e-cigarette." Likewise, I think that similarity to smoking is a crucial element of promoting the practice to smokers and advertising products. (Anybody who doesn't want a smoking-like way to give up cigarettes has a lot of other choices: pills, gum, patches, inhalers, cold-turkey, prayer, etc.)

I would think that the only reason to eradicate all smoking terminology from vaping would be to try and placate (or fool) anti-smoking policy makers into thinking that this product isn't so much like smoking--even though, whatever you call it, it is evident that people who vape are putting an object in their mouths, inhaling, exhaling, and enjoying, all in a way quite similar to smoking. In other words, I don't think changing the terminology is going to have any effect on those who so hate smoking and smokers as to want to ban anything that resembles it. But continuing to educate and campaign on the important health-related differences is essential.

The anit-smoking zealots will never change their perceptions and thus it's immaterial what they think. The vast majority in the middle are the ones who are the most open to either a negative or positive perception of vaping and the ones we want to influence in a positive manner. Distancing ourselves from smoking will have a better chance of providing this group a positive percetion of vaping. And for those who want vaping to look and sound as much like smoking as possible because they are concerned with how they "look", well that is just so ironic, considering the negative perception of smoking that it is just amazing.

Mroutlaw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2012
Deerfield Beach, Florida
www.
Actually, there is a reason why they can't call them smoking cessation products, and it's best for us that they don't.

In 2009 the FDA classified them as drug delivery devices (not illegal drugs) and banned their import. In 2010, the court ruled that they are tobacco products and ruled that the FDA was to lift the ban. The appeals court then ruled that they are tobacco products and could only be considered drug delivery devices if they were being marketed for therapeutic use (ie. quitting smoking would be therapeutic). The ecig companies said they targeted smokers and not people seeking to quit smoking.

Why is this good for us? Because being labeled as a tobacco product, the FDA is limited to how much they can control them and most importantly, can not ban them because of agreements made in the tobacco MSA. Because they are considered tobacco products, the FDA can only regulate them as if they were a cigarette. They would have a lot more control over them if they are considered drug delivery systems (ie the way they control nicotine patches, gum and inhalers)

So while it affects us because of the perception that it has with non smokers, from a legal standpoint it is good that they are called electronic cigarettes and not marketed as vaporizers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
The one and only reason Ecigs/ PVs are not marketed A's a smoking cessation device is because that particular label would put it under the jurisdiction of the FDA/ BP which further means it would have to go through years of Clinical Trials at a cost of 100 million $$?...if that were to happen say good bye to DIY, fill your delivery devices and anything stronger than 15? mg juice. The only option we would have would be low mg SEALED throwaway delivery devices- carts, cartos, etc. Best advise is to become and active member of CASAA. You should consider yourselves very fortunate to have such an org working tirelessly on your behalf. Up here in Canada we are not so lucky BUT A's a member of CASAA I am very grateful for their efforts.

meli.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Private Suite GroenDakkies
Hi Guy's, now, I'm not going to be anywhere near as eloquent as you have been with this debate, and perhaps being blonde I may be a little off topic but here goes anyway..:2c:
I don't believe Vaping products should be marketed as a smoking cessation devices or even nicotine cessation devices, at this given time they are not.
For centuries man has taken pleasure from blowing out smoke, any smoke from banana leaves to everything else under the sun. And so it shall remain. One of my earliest memories was watching my Granny smoke her cigarettes, she was an incredibly glamorous woman, a Dietrich look alike. I loved the idea of blowing smoke, I still do, maybe it's the kid in me - can't say, but I was determined to do the same when I grew up. I don't think I'm alone in this. I stopped smoking 3 years ago using the wonder drug Champix/ Chatix to US folks, after 30 years of heavy smoking. I love being smoke free. I love the idea of Vaping More. I'm grateful to the guy that invented it, I'm grateful to the people that saw the merits in it, to progress it and develop it and continue to do so, for my pleasure and that of others.
I think, the concept of Vaping will ultimately change, the flavours and "taste experiences" will develop, a big corporation might step in, I think the tobacco companies are missing a trick. Although, much as it's fairly new, it can easily be marketed as a no-nic product. My husband radically against smoking, is prepared to try some "nic free chocolate vape", there it is in a nutshell - curiosity... I can picture LED's lighting up at concerts and nightclubs and the 'cigs' having nothing in them but a flavour vape, it doesn't have to be a 'cig' form but a simple device that light's up and produces vapour and flavour. People love blowing smoke, if they can do it and it won't harm them, they'll do it. Still a long road ahead, but boy am I in for this ride...:)

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
..........So while it affects us because of the perception that it has with non smokers, from a legal standpoint it is good that they are called electronic cigarettes and not marketed as vaporizers ............

I agree, from a "legal" standpoint, which the casual, non-informed person will probably not know about.

From a perception standpoint, it's to our advantage to be viewed differently.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Hi Guy's, now, I'm not going to be anywhere near as eloquent as you have been with this debate, and perhaps being blonde I may be a little off topic but here goes anyway..:2c:
I don't believe Vaping products should be marketed as a smoking cessation devices or even nicotine cessation devices, at this given time they are not.
For centuries man has taken pleasure from blowing out smoke, any smoke from banana leaves to everything else under the sun. And so it shall remain. One of my earliest memories was watching my Granny smoke her cigarettes, she was an incredibly glamorous woman, a Dietrich look alike. I loved the idea of blowing smoke, I still do, maybe it's the kid in me - can't say, but I was determined to do the same when I grew up. I don't think I'm alone in this. I stopped smoking 3 years ago using the wonder drug Champix/ Chatix to US folks, after 30 years of heavy smoking. I love being smoke free. I love the idea of Vaping More. I'm grateful to the guy that invented it, I'm grateful to the people that saw the merits in it, to progress it and develop it and continue to do so, for my pleasure and that of others.
I think, the concept of Vaping will ultimately change, the flavours and "taste experiences" will develop, a big corporation might step in, I think the tobacco companies are missing a trick. Although, much as it's fairly new, it can easily be marketed as a no-nic product. My husband radically against smoking, is prepared to try some "nic free chocolate vape", there it is in a nutshell - curiosity... I can picture LED's lighting up at concerts and nightclubs and the 'cigs' having nothing in them but a flavour vape, it doesn't have to be a 'cig' form but a simple device that light's up and produces vapour and flavour. People love blowing smoke, if they can do it and it won't harm them, they'll do it. Still a long road ahead, but boy am I in for this ride...:)

Lorrilard just bought Blu so big tobacco is already in the industry. You have a personal innocent memory of smoking from a time way past. Times have changed so much in the last 50 years on the perception of smoking that the more distance we put between vaping and smoking, the better in the long run for the community. I'm not advocating hiding from our past, but instead presenting vaping in the best possible light and insuring that the perception that vaping is NOT smoking be championed as much as possible, both in look, terminalogy and safety.

meli.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Private Suite GroenDakkies
You have a personal innocent memory of smoking from a time way past. Times have changed so much in the last 50 years on the perception of smoking that the more distance we put between vaping and smoking, the better in the long run for the community.

Whoa there, my Granny came from an 'era', me, I'm really not that OLD...;) no really! lol

I agree with you, times have changed, and this new era, is one of vaping. As others have stated already, changing the name or material does not change the act.
The devices will change, they are already in that process, I'm in that process. The first vaping video I saw was Marco Van Bastons Vision Clearomiser review, he pulled out a lava tube, and I nearly fell off my chair laughing, first time I had seen one. Just the thought of what the 'ladies' would do - non of whom smoke or vape - if I pulled that out my handbag at the afternoon tea party!!! How awful do those things look? (No offence Lavatube lovers) Although, now... I will probably invest in a mini chrome one or something of the like, I have grown used to the idea.

However, no matter how we may want to distance ourselves from an era past, the only reason people are here on these boards is because they smoke/d. They didn't arrive here from seeing Lavatubes, it's the disposables and powered cigarettes they have seen in store, tried them and ultimately delivered them here. They believe they are making this change for the benefit of themselves and those around them, and this message seems to be filtering through, but as you say there is a long history.
It will be difficult to not refer to or use old terminology but again the terminology will change, is changing.

The whole industry is still very much in infancy. These devices and materials require responsible use, we only require one disaster, certainly here in the UK where the Media and Government Bodies will want to start regulating arguing on 'poison of such great potency' being permitted such freedoms. That is going to be a serious hurdle to overcome, and a major PR disaster.
But continuing to educate and campaign on the important health-related differences is essential.
So there you go, we are all in agreement here, the only real way forward is education on both sides of the fence.
I shall now step off my little soapbox, and go have a vape... xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread