Not open for further replies.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
I originally asked about this question here:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/site-feedback-help/512051-q-about-pm-interface-folders.html

It's the matter of: You are allowed to create new folders in the PM interface and you can move messages from your Inbox to a new folder, but you cannot move messages from your Sent folder at all.

It was suggested to mark the messages in the Sent folder anyway, switch to your Inbox and then use the option there to Move messages. That didn't work. The messages that were selected to be moved are still firmly in place in the Sent folder after trying that repeatedly.

Is there a reason why the drop down box options for messages selected in the Inbox gives you a "Move to folder" option but you don't get that option/aren't allowed to do that with Sent messages? :confused:

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Yeah that thing is really annoying sometimes... I wanted to create PM templates, as is possible with any email client, but you can't do it in any logical way. You have to send yourself the template message then move it into a new folder.

I think the answer to any of these kinds of questions is: that's the way it works and we can't change it. The reason for that is because fixing it would need a recode of the app, or a plugin that replaces the PM system with a custom-coded version. Either of those are possible but:
- vB is reaching its end of life and we will be moving to XenForo at some point
- We can't justify the expense since we are ditching vB as soon as is feasible
- We have so many plugins and stuff that upgrades and patches are a nightmare already, we don't want more unless they are critical

So yeah, the PM system is crude, but fixing it is not really an option just now - sorry. We have to use workarounds.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Got it. Where I was going with that was: If you want to save/export before purging as it stands the existing option puts all the Sent items in one group, followed waaaaayyyyy down there by the Inbox items grouped separately. I was hoping if they could be combined into a single folder they would all export in simple chronological order, not chronological by folder instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread