Status
Not open for further replies.

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
I have not seen a thread started for Sophia in this forum yet, and think she needs a home here. :) I do have a thread going in the ProVari sub-forum since there are plans for a tank with a ProVari-specific base, and many there use carto tanks as toppers. That thread is here:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...atomizer-leo-provari-tank-will-available.html

I'm more of an RBA guy over cartomizers. I do like some of the 23mm carto tanks since I primarily use a ProVari, and that diameter is perfect for the Atmistique Hippo V2 AFC I use, along with other top cap rings which give the ProVari a nice, flush look with tanks. ;) Sophia will work with most carto tanks.. It's just a matter of using the proper O-rings for the job.

I'll just copy and paste some of my other thread over here to get started. I think Sophia is going to be quite popular.. She's a sweet gal! Here is my initial post from Oct. 13th after playing with Sophia:

Sophia came into my life yesterday, and I REALLY like her. :) She is slim, sleek, well-built, and intelligent. (in design) These are all important qualities to me in my quest for the "perfect" ProVari (Or any APV for that matter) juice-delivery device. Combined with the GP SnP tank / Atmistique Hippo V2, it appears I am almost there. :vapor:

I tried the Diver before. While it started out to be a good device, it lacked the ability to control juice intake, was finicky to set up, particular on the amount of juice in the tank to function properly, and eventually developed gurgling and leaking through the pin, no matter how carefully built. (In my experience)

Sophia on the other hand, has been a joy to work with, and functions as designed. I've been through 4 tanks, (EDIT: many more since with no issues) and rebuilt 3 different ceramics to try. (EDIT: Again, more since) All worked well. I can fill the GP SnP tank to the top, and vape all the way down with no gurgling at all. I was greeted this morning by a dry pin, and no leaking. :) I ran a tank of heavy VG through her, and the juice control worked quite well to feed with no dry-hits. I've been attempting to optimize battery life with my ProVari's, and found that Sophia's domed chamber inside the tube allows me to run a 2.5 ohm coil at only 3.5v, and still produces a saturated, satisfying vape experience.

I also purchased the GP ProVari base for the SnP tank. It's seamless appearance looks nice, but lacks air control. This is dependent on how far the base is adjusted down over the ProVari's top cap. A small gap must be left. It works, and I will use it from time to time, but the Hippo V2 allows precise air flow control, which is important for Sophia IMO. There is also a nice, flush, fit between it, and the SnP. BTW, the SnP's fill-system is also a JOY to use compared to the many other carto tanks I've owned. A simple twist, fill to the top, and close. The 2nd hole allows air to escape while filling, so no worries of flooding there. Pretty much hassle-free.

Sophia can be purchased from these vendors:

By Leo

Sophia

Exclusive Modware

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cUXDrzGiVg

IMG_1865_zpse0d44dcb.jpg

Last edited:

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
Mark Todd just posted a review of Sophia. :) As I do, he is also liking it better than the Diver. ;) One thing I will add though, I find it better to totally wet the wicks with juice before installing Sophia into a tank.

Sophia by Leo - YouTube

EDIT: One other thing for folks who plan on using the GP SnP tank with Sophia.. The red silicone O-ring supplied with Sophia will not fit. The SnP has 2 O-ring slots in both the top and bottom tank caps. A set of red silicone rings are supplied. I find that only using one of them in the upper top cap slot holds well, and allows Sophia's tube to be turned easier than using both.. ;)

Last edited:

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
I've been enjoying Sophia VERY much. :wub: I'm actually considering selling-off the Russian 91% I've had on pre-order, (which should be shipping to me today) and put the $$ toward another Sophia and tank. :ohmy: I have a Vochu Kayfun conversion kit in one of my Terminator C's, and another kit on the way.. My rebuildables are getting jealous of Sophia.. :glare: I've barely given them any attention since her arrival.

Keep an eye out in the classies next week... No PM's regarding the R 91% please. I will not reply to anyone outside of the actual classified's listing when posted.

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
Thanks for the thread, Technonut, do you mind sharing the best material for wick and coil size for rebuilding this sophia?

I've used the silica which came with it... It's OK, but I prefer a doubled piece of 3mm German silica MUCH better. I've done a few builds with that, and have been happy.

My preferred wicking material is XC-116 ceramic wick. (Kiln-treated per 3M specs) I ran out last week, but am expecting a few feet in the mail today. The German silica is almost as good as far as wicking and flavor go IMO..

As for coils, I can twist my own NR / R wire well, but I don't like doing it. I have been using ready wires from Stormy's, and have been happy with them. Can't beat $9.99 for 50 wires IMO..

Kanthal Ready Wires- 50 pack

Right now, I'm getting a great vape using a 2.0 ohm wire around German silica. Despite Todd's observation in his review, I do find the reduced chamber in Sophia's tube to help in the flavor department. :) I also stopped running the silica all the way down the channels. It's not necessary. I just trim the wick close to the ceramic cup. No dry-hits, flooding, leaks, or gurgles. The juice has a straight-shot directly to the top wicking. The air pressure in the tank, along with drawing to vape, pulls plenty of juice up until the tank is empty.

EDIT: I buy my German silica directly from Germany on e-Bay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silica-Ro...-C-/300968521440?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:3160

RTD Vapor also has it:

http://www.rtdvapor.com/online-store/accessories/wick-wire/silicawick-detail

I've been getting my XC-116 here:

http://www.rbasupplies.com/xc-116.html

Last edited:

jmarkus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2011
CA USA
what size silica are you using? i find that 2mm is the perfect size so the ceramic doesn't "choke" the wick. i have yet to receive mine, but this is what i use in my killer and divers and seems to work great. it also looks like you have both wicks running down the side, you're supposed to cut the top wick as close to the ceramic as possible and only let the bottom wick run down the sides.

Last edited:

cranko

Apr 17, 2011
Malaysia
what size silica are you using? i find that 2mm is the perfect size so the ceramic doesn't "choke" the wick. i have yet to receive mine, but this is what i use in my killer and divers and seems to work great. it also looks like you have both wicks running down the side, you're supposed to cut the top wick as close to the ceramic as possible and only let the bottom wick run down the sides.

it's 2mm silica that comes with the pre-made coil, i didnt rewick it myself. 3 hours of fiddling around now but still burnt. Tried brushing the coils, torched and start all over again, reposition the coil to align with the top ceramic and almost given up now.

chadsmo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
BC Canada
I just placed an order for one this morning. Just the standard length one, not terribly sure how long that is , didn't take the time to find out as I'm sure I have a tank that will work for it.

I've actually just started giving my Killer 705 more attention again because I've got it running beautifully with a cotton wick. But the ΣΟΦΙΑ just looks way too awesome to pass up. I'll probably grab an SnP or Scuba to put it in next month. My vape budget got blown this week with this and I FINALLY got a Spheroid that I'll have in three days. Something tells me between the ΣΟΦΙΑ, my Spheroid and my eBaron Dripper Pro that all of my other attys will soon be collecting a lot of dust.

Glenn54

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2009
New York
I've used the silica which came with it... It's OK, but I prefer a doubled piece of 3mm German silica MUCH better. I've done a few builds with that, and have been happy.

My preferred wicking material is XC-116 ceramic wick. (Kiln-treated per 3M specs) I ran out last week, but am expecting a few feet in the mail today. The German silica is almost as good as far as wicking and flavor go IMO..

As for coils, I can twist my own NR / R wire well, but I don't like doing it. I have been using ready wires from Stormy's, and have been happy with them. Can't beat $9.99 for 50 wires IMO..

Kanthal Ready Wires- 50 pack

Right now, I'm getting a great vape using a 2.0 ohm wire around German silica. Despite Todd's observation in his review, I do find the reduced chamber in Sophia's tube to help in the flavor department. :) I also stopped running the silica all the way down the channels. It's not necessary. I just trim the wick close to the ceramic cup. No dry-hits, flooding, leaks, or gurgles. The juice has a straight-shot directly to the top wicking. The air pressure in the tank, along with drawing to vape, pulls plenty of juice up until the tank is empty.

EDIT: I buy my German silica directly from Germany on e-Bay:

Silica Rope 3 mm - Silica Wick - high quality - temperature resistance 1000°C | eBay

RTD Vapor also has it:

Wick and Wire : Silica Wick

I've been getting my XC-116 here:

XC-116

Interesting "I just trim the wick close to the ceramic cup."

Glenn54

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2009
New York
I dunno why and what went wrong with my setup, always get burnt taste when i chain vape or drag too long. Using 1.8ohms pre-installed wick at 3.7v on provari. This is my second coil and it still give me the same result with the burnt taste. Any tips on this?

View attachment 264613

maybe cut the wicks shorter like the OP stated and tilt it since I think there is juice sitting below the cup just sitting there (I think! since I don't have one yet, I would love to have one and will probably buy one tonight. I just hate the major shipping charges to the US ).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread