The Screwdriver MK2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironlion

Aug 2, 2010
Minneapolis
I've been smoking e-cigarettes since last December now. I First started with an rn4081, and an early 501 cartomizer setup (which I actually rejected generally in favor of the RN4081 due to the much easier use and refill-ability of this model).

Time passed by and I found that as it did, the desire for analogs was increasing again. After a lapse and about a month of analog smoking, I decided to upgrade to a "serious" model.

I did my research here on the forums; people have a lot of fine things to say about the Ego around here, but regardless the information on this site helped me determine what I wanted: A mod with a manual battery and a commonly-used cartridge.

I considered an Ego, but what really appealed to me more was the Screwdriver.

As a cost comparison, I looked into possibly choosing a DSE-905 instead, as it tends to be marketed as an "improved Screwdriver" or the "Screwdriver Mk3". I'm sure its a great device with many happy users out there; but its design completely misses the point of the screwdriver's philosophy, which is what drew me too it.

The screwdriver is a perfectly engineered device. It uses common, off-the-shelf parts, with a design that is made as simply and as easy-to-service as possible. It combines a big battery with the commonly available atomizer and cartridge, and thus will serve very well over the long term.

I have to say, I am liking the SD MK2 so far, after a few weeks of use. I have moved to using it with low-resistance 510 atomizers via an adapter, however, just because these produce clouds of vapor with very easy draws (the Screwdriver mk2 is threaded for 901s). If I could go back I'd probably end up ordering the recently-reworked MK1, with a 510 threading. The 901 atomizers are still nice, though, for a relaxed smoke; they produce a better tasting flavor, and the vapor feels 'denser' if less in quantity and requiring a much slower, longer drag for full effect; I still put them on sometimes to just sit for awhile puffing away in a relaxed fashion.

The convenience of the SD is great. It boils juice pretty quickly, requiring topping off or the carrying of an extra filled cartridge or two with you for a days worth of use, but These batteries last almost two days of heavy use, and the amount of smoke is hardly at all diminished until just about the very moment that the battery completely "dies".

All in all I'm quite happy with this device; I've since been stocking up on atties and ejuice instead of constantly replacing the tiny, underpowered batteries such as those found in 'typical' e-cigs.

I have to give this device my hearty recommendation. :toast:

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Glad you are enjoying the Screwdriver Mk 2 (I have both Mk 1 and Mk 2) - I can strongly recommend you try the Low Res 901 atomisers (eg from Liberty Flights) - for me they give the best of both worlds in terms of flavour and hit with most liquids
Don't let Trog hear you say that ;)

uba egar320

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2009
WV
I have a DSE-905V3 and I love it. I use lr 901 attys on it.

Not clear as to what the screwdriver's philosophy is.

I've had a dse905 as well. Works pretty good, but sometimes comes on by itself for no apparent reason. The screwdriver is a rock solid device because of it's simplicity. The button on the bottom is just a screw that pushes up about 3/8 of an inch to create a ground on the battery. There is no switch to go bad on you while you are out and about. About the worst thing you can do is lose the button, and if that did happen a quick trip to the hardware store could have you up and running until a replacement came. It simply does not quit working. I'm always on the lookout for other devices, but there is almost no need. I have two sdmkII's in case I lost one. If you decide to grab another 3.7 device, you can't go wrong with this one IMO.:toast:

Mr.Self_Destruct

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2010
Queens, NY
I've had a dse905 as well. Works pretty good, but sometimes comes on by itself for no apparent reason. The screwdriver is a rock solid device because of it's simplicity. The button on the bottom is just a screw that pushes up about 3/8 of an inch to create a ground on the battery. There is no switch to go bad on you while you are out and about. About the worst thing you can do is lose the button, and if that did happen a quick trip to the hardware store could have you up and running until a replacement came. It simply does not quit working. I'm always on the lookout for other devices, but there is almost no need. I have two sdmkII's in case I lost one. If you decide to grab another 3.7 device, you can't go wrong with this one IMO.:toast:
which version of the 905 do you have?

uba egar320

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2009
WV
It was a dse905, chrome in color I got from healthcabin that's really all I can tell you. I purchased 2 of them last xmas for gifts. One guy still has his the other guy lost his. I borrowed one of them for a couple of weeks to try it out. They were fairly new then,so maybe the first version would be my guess.

Mr.Self_Destruct

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2010
Queens, NY
It was a dse905, chrome in color I got from healthcabin that's really all I can tell you. I purchased 2 of them last xmas for gifts. One guy still has his the other guy lost his. I borrowed one of them for a couple of weeks to try it out. They were fairly new then,so maybe the first version would be my guess.
There are 4 versions. I have V3. No bottom button and nothing is exposed inside.

uba egar320

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2009
WV
There are 4 versions. I have V3. No bottom button and nothing is exposed inside.

So I take it they got that problem worked out then? I read that if you put the battery in upside down and the unit still worked, that it was a bad one and needed to be sent back. Neither one of the two I got did, so I thought they were ok. Buddy called me a couple of weeks later and told me his turned on by itself and melted a end cap into a puddle of goo. It never did it to me though, so who knows maybe he did something to it. But that was not the only time I had heard of them turning on like that though.

The Big Chief

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2009
Anderson, IN
I love my screwdriver, but Ive noticed one thing...a good drop or 2 makes it finicky, like it loosens a circuit or something. Not that I like to see it scratched at all either. As far as atties..that 901 LR with some blue fluval in a standard cart works GREEEAAAT! Its like a super 901, and no dripping every vape. Carry cart down if you do though. Pack 1 1/2 to 2 x's blue fluval to cart size, and it wont flood, and holds about 10 drops. Still topping off more than standard, but way less hassle than drip tips that never seem to hit right for me anyhow. :)

Ironlion

Aug 2, 2010
Minneapolis
There was one issue with the MKII, and that is that the button easily comes loose; it actually popped off on me, and the spring disappeared into oblivion. However, a little work with a pliers and the spring from a pen (to widen its gage), and the repair was easily performed. The spring i used is slightly stronger, too, which actually is an advantage because now I can stand up the MK2 on its end to drip it.

As to the questions about the Screwdriver's philosophy, it is the perfect simplicity combined with a highly robust design. The new MK1s and MK2s are entirely mechanical. A battery, a fixed contact and a spring-operated switch for the second contact power a socket that uses commonly available atomizers. the big battery serves well and long, and any parts that go bad are incredibly simple and easy to replace (and the only thing likely to go bad is the atomizer, unless you suffer a similar mishap with the spring as I did). It follows the rules of good engineering: to do precisely what it needs to do as well as possible, and as simply as can possibly be designed.

tonyorion

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Michigan
I have had my MK II for 3 of the 4 months that I have been analog free, and have nothing bad to say about the unit. It is my main unit when at home. I also use Tornados and Mega Titans from TW when I am not home. I use both the original 901's and 510 adaptor with various attys, carts, etc. One choice I made early was to stay with 3.7 v for a variety of reasons, the biggest one is that when I am driving, sitting at the PC, or playing guitar, the big voltage mods are hard to dangle from the teeth. Kind of a strange reason, I admit, but that's why they have all of these models out there.

The only problem has been the button falling off, and have had to scramble to search for the spring and button. I bought spares and took care of the button falling off by a drop of glue.

But.........................my Nano battery charger had a meltdown, and I could not find the 3.7 v version anywhere. Everybody seemed to be out of stock. Spent hours searching on line with all of the standard suppliers and tried everything from battery specialty shops to camera stores.

Solved the problem by ordering two multi battery chargers from China that are adaptable to various sizes of 3.7 v lithium protected batteries.

Also, these batteries are not easy to find outside of the e cig suppliers.

The Big Chief

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2009
Anderson, IN
I stumbled on some straws way back at the local meijers in the coffee section. I was looking for something for that would work for a straw mod. Straw mod didnt work as straws werent right, but I was poking around with SD at same time, and button, looking for a way to expand the length so I can push the button further up and get better connection. Well, these straws I found fit PERFECTLY into the threads on the button. SO I snipped of a small section..like a couple millimeters, plopped that lil ditty into the hole, and screwed the screw on, and now its slightly longer..not so long the button cover will trigger it, but enough to improve it..and as a side effect, I cut just too long, and if you lightly force the screw down a bit more, it locks the screw in to a certain extent. It hasnt unscrewed itself sense, so no lost springs and buttons. Getting straw out can be cumbersome, but still killed 2 birds with one stone:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread