Not open for further replies.

Thucydides

Force of Nature
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2012
Washington, DC
Let's see if we can put this issue to rest:

According to the EPA's 2006 review of propylene glycol, it has been registered as a general use antimicrobial in air conditioning units and air purifiers since 1950. The EPA stated that propylene glycol is of "low toxicity," meaning that acute toxicity symptoms in rats occur when they orally ingest more than 3,600 to 20,000 mg per pound of body weight(!). (In rabbits, the lower limit is 10,000mg per pound of body weight.)

The EPA indicates that propylene glycol is a non-irritant for eyes and skin.

Under the heading "General Toxicity Observations," the EPA states that "Upon reviewing the available toxicity information, the Agency has concluded that there are no endpoints of concern for oral, dermal, or inhalation exposure"

Under the heading "Carcinogenicity Classification," the EPA states that propylene glycol is "negative for carcinogenicity"

Under the heading "Mutagenicity Potential," which refers to its ability to induce genetic mutations, the EPA states that propylene glycol is "found to be negative" in tests for mutagenic or genotoxic potential.

Under the heading "FQPA Safety Factor," which adjusts toxicity estimates by a "10-fold safety factor (10X), to protect for special sensitivity in infants and children" when there is incomplete data: "The FQPA Safety Factor has been removed (i.e., reduced to IX) for propylene glycol... because there is no pre- or post-natal evidence for increased susceptibility following exposure. Further, the Agency has concluded that there are no endpoints of concern for oral, dermal, or inhalation exposure to propylene glycol... based on the low toxicity observed in studies conducted near or above testing limit doses"

The EPA's 2006 review of propylene glycol states 5 different times that "there are no endpoints for concern for oral, dermal, or inhalation exposure to propylene glycol."

The EPA states that propylene glycol is approved by the FDA for use in alcoholic beverages, confections and frostings, frozen dairy products, seasonings and flavorings, nuts and nut products, and all other food categories.

So, some people may be allergic to it. Shoot, I'm allergic to animal dander. But propylene glycol will not make you sick.

I keep hearing people say, "It's better just to breath oxygen." This may sound good as a common-sense assertion, but it does not bear scrutiny. The Earth's atmosphere is about 78% nitrogen and only about 20% oxygen (with 1% argon and 0.03% carbon dioxide). If breathing slightly less oxygen were bad for you, then living at a higher elevation would be hazardous to your health and minor variations in elevation above sea-level would impact your health.

Anyone who argues against the safety of propylene glycol based on its use in antifreeze is either ignorant or arguing in bad faith. To say that propylene glycol is an effective component in antifreeze is simply to say that it is highly water soluble. Dissolving anything in water lowers its freezing point (salt-water freezes at a lower temperature because it's salt dissolved into water). The the more of a substance that you can dissolve in water, the lower the freezing point of the resulting water-based solution. Since you can dissolve a heck of a lot of propylene glycol in water, it is highly effective in antifreeze.

Furthermore, the argument that propylene glycol is unsafe because it is an ingredient in antifreeze runs afoul of the fallacy of division, which mistakenly takes the properties of the whole to be properties of its components; e.g., an egg is white; and egg has a yolk; therefore a yolk is white. From the fact that some antifreeze is toxic, it does not follow that any single ingredient is toxic. Some glass cleaners contain vinegar. That doesn't make vinegar toxic.

Incidentally, the EPA has registered propylene glycol as an antimociobial for the following microbes: "Odor-causing bacteria, Fleas, Mites, Red lice, Animal pathogenic bacteria (G- and G+ vegetative), Shigella bacteria, Pasteurella bacteria, Listeria bacteria, Herpes Simplex I and II, Animal viruses, Influenza Virus A2, Aspergillus Niger Fungus, Mold/Mildew, Pseudomonas SPP., Shigella Flexneri, Shigella Sonnei." Sounds better than a flu shot.

The full text is available here: http://www.epa.gov/oppsrrd1/REDs/propylene_glycol_red.pdf

Last edited:

CarbonThief

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Great write-up, though it must be pointed out that the addition of pg to water is to accomplish freezing point depression, resulting in lower temperatures required (I.e. much colder) to freeze the water into ice. Same thing as the salt water analogy, salt water freees below the point pure water does, below 0 degrees Centigrade.

Sorry to correct this well written exposition, my inner geek (and years of undergrad and grad chemistry classes) coming out!

But the point still stands. Pg is safe, and only mildly to moderately irritating for those with an allergy to it.

Trick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2012
Round Rock, Texas, United States
The EPA stated that propylene glycol is of "low toxicity," meaning that acute toxicity symptoms in rats occur when they orally ingest more than 3,600 to 20,000 mg per pound of body weight

So, let's see. I weigh about 175 pounds. Acute toxicity would occur if I inhaled 630 grams (630,000mg) to 3,500 grams (3,500,000mg) of PG?

I'm not good with metric, but isn't that like a pound and a half to 8 pounds of PG? That's not toxicity; that's drowning.

As far as the anitfreeze argument goes, when people pull that one out I like to point out that dihydrogen monoxide is commonly used as a paint thinner.

Last edited:

CarbonThief

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
So, let's see. I weigh about 175 pounds. Acute toxicity would occur if I inhaled 630 grams (630,000mg) to 3,500 grams (3,500,000mg) of PG?

I'm not good with metric, but isn't that like a pound and a half to 8 pounds of PG? That's not toxicity; that's drowning.

Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are!

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
Nice writeup, one minor adjustment perhaps. "Only mildly to moderately irritating" to those sensitive to it might be a bit overly rosy.

While nowhere near as bad as anaphalactic shock, I've heard of welts, headaches, and blurred vision with more sensitive people. I got into 0 pg diy with organic flavorings a few years back because of friends having difficulties; the majority of commercial eliquids back then had fair amounts of pg, few options for those with pg or other chemical sensitivities.

CarbonThief

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nice writeup, one minor adjustment perhaps. "Only mildly to moderately irritating" to those sensitive to it might be a bit overly rosy.

While nowhere near as bad as anaphalactic shock, I've heard of welts, headaches, and blurred vision with more sensitive people. I got into 0 pg diy with organic flavorings a few years back because of friends having difficulties; the majority of commercial eliquids back then had fair amounts of pg, few options for those with pg or other chemical sensitivities.

Thanks for the correction, I hadn't heard of these more insidious allergies.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Great write up on the safety of inhaling PG.

Now, how many of us are vaping pure PG?

Without flavorings or anything?

Scientifically, this really isn't an argument that would hold water, since PG is not being vaped by itself, but in mixture with other substances.

Then, you would also need to add in stuff that is not in the liquid, i.e. silica wicks, batting in cartos, etc.

Until a full study is done, on EVERY component of a few months of vaping and it's effect on human beings, the answer remains: WE DON"T KNOW For sure. :)

And yes, allergies and sensitivities to PG range from mildly annoying to needing to seek medical attention. Of course, that is true for some foods, some flavorings, medications, etc for some people. It exists, nevertheless.

Last edited:

MrSmith99

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2011
Earth
I think most people are confusing propylene glycol with ethylene glycol. Ethylene glycol is very poisonous and is used in most automotive antifreeze. It has a slightly sweet taste which is what draws pets and other animals to it. Everyone knows not to leave this stuff sitting around in the open.

From Wikipedia:
"Propylene glycol, on the other hand, is considerably less toxic than ethylene glycol and may be labeled as "non-toxic antifreeze". It is used as antifreeze where ethylene glycol would be inappropriate, such as in food-processing systems or in water pipes in homes where incidental ingestion may be possible. As confirmation of its relative non-toxicity, the FDA allows propylene glycol to be added to a large number of processed foods, including ice cream, frozen custard, and baked goods."

It is a little confusing because propylene glycol is used as an automotive antifreeze also, but not near as often as ethylene glycol. I just think we vapers need to be mindful of the difference and correct people on this point. Just say, "Your thinking of ethylene glycol which is very poisonous. What we use is propylene glycol which is safe."

Antifreeze Poisoning In Dogs And Cats - Ethylene Glycol Poisoning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread