The OFFICIAL UFC / MMA thread (MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terraphon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ, USA
I'm sure there's a few MMA fans out there so I figured I'd put up a thread here in General where everyone can talk about the latest news, fights, information, etc.

As many know, UFC 100 was this weekend. Had a nice party with a bunch of people from work and personal circles...We had a blast and the fights were great.

GSP...That guy gets better every time I see him. If he keeps improving at this rate I don't see how anyone in the welterweight division will be able to stop him for a long time to come. He picked Thiago Alves apart. He's also just about the classiest fighter I've ever seen...Not one to do much trash talking and is always very gracious, both in victory and defeat.

The Henderson / Bisping fight went pretty much the way I thought it would. Hendo got the dub, Bisping got to take a nap. I like watching Bisping fight but I think he could do with a lot less trash talk.

The Brock Lesnar / Frank Mir fight was an absolute domination. Frank Mir is a great fighter but he got made to look WEAK by Lesnar, this time, avenging his loss at the hands of Mir, last year. The dramatics at the end of the fight got Lesnar in HUGE trouble with Dana White and the UFC. Dana has now publicly stated that the UFC is going to go after Fedor Emelianenko "with an open wallet" and that he wants to see Fedor and Brock fight.

So do I.

My GOD, so do I.

Terraphon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bas Rutten, damn that guy had one hell of a shot. The liver shot, he was a beat, didn't he got undefeated?

No, Bas was beaten a few times.

He lost twice to Ken Shamrock, once to Frank Shamrock and once to Masakatsu Funaki...All of those were pretty early in his career, though.

He finished out at 28-4-1.

You're right, though...that liver shot...my god.

Vapr_Life

Moved On
Jul 21, 2009
Newfane NY
www.vaprlife.com
  • Deleted by Sun Vaporer
  • Reason: spam

eskimoroll

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
I'm a huge fan of MMA and have tried to follow all the various orgs for many years now (UFC, PRIDE, WEC, DREAMS, Strikeforce, K1, EliteXC, IFL, some RINGS, etc.) It's great to see MMA become mainstream with Dana and the Fertittas leading the charge in a relatively responsible manner. I used to train some jiu jitsu before I got more into outdoor sports (kayaking, biking, etc) which is when I really got addicted even though I watched from the early UFC days. I even rolled with Eric "Red" Schafer back when he was only a purple belt. He just got his black belt and that guy was silky smooth on the mat.

Brock antics aside, I enjoyed UFC 100. Looking forward, I can't wait for the Torres fight, the K-Flo/Penn fight, and of course Fedor/Barnett.

UFC 100 was a great show. GSP has some great game plans and sticks to them almost religously. Always good to see him fight (boring or not it's great to see him put the game plan to work). however, I have a feeling that GSP may end up losing one of his next fights. Not sure why, I have nothing to back it up or base it on except my gut.

Brock needs more work. He really needs to get some BJJ skills added to his arsenal of size/strength and hammer fists. That will only last him for so long. We still don't know what his chin is like (although he did take a big knee from Mir that looked like it may have come close). It may take one well placed shot to bring the big man down. If Brock were to get some decent BJJ under his belt he would be nearly unstopable. Couple that with some crisp striking and we've got the next dominant heavy weight champ.

I'm VERY interested to see how well Machida performs in his next fights. He looked awesome against Rashad. What a fight that was!

seven

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Fringe HQ Chicago
I'm VERY interested to see how well Machida performs in his next fights. He looked awesome against Rashad. What a fight that was!

x2 - Machida is the man. I would love to see Andersen Silva vs Machida, but that wont happen since they are friends and train together.

Now Fedor Emilianko (how ever you spell it) has to get rid of his current management team, hire a reliable manager and get into the UFC. There is no way in hell the UFC would take him in for a 1 fight contract or a 3 fight contract but be allowed to fight anywhere as he pleases.

Fedor vs Brock now thats a fight

x2 - Machida is the man. I would love to see Andersen Silva vs Machida, but that wont happen since they are friends and train together.

I'm not so sure about that. Ithink if Dana gave them the ultimatum we would either a) seet he fight or b) one (or both) would leave the UFC. Which is a shame. Friendship wouldn't matter but that would be one hell of a good fight.

Now Fedor Emilianko (how ever you spell it) has to get rid of his current management team, hire a reliable manager and get into the UFC. There is no way in hell the UFC would take him in for a 1 fight contract or a 3 fight contract but be allowed to fight anywhere as he pleases.

Fedor vs Brock now thats a fight

True, but I don't see an issue with giving a one fight deal. Seriously, why not? They would make big money off the pay-per-view sales, plus any of the pre-show stuff. Fedor's ina very unique position where he tell Dana to F off and it's no skin off his back. UFC wants him more than he wants UFC (from what I can gather, I'm no expert by far).

Fedor vs Brock I think would turn out to be a huge disappointment. Unless it's farther down the road and Brock can get some skills under his belt. His current "style" would probably pose little threat to Fedor. A guy that composed will not fall apart with Brock on top of him and would probably have much better luck getting away/out from under than Mir did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread