Not open for further replies.

asnider123

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2010
The Original ModFather, USA
Part 1

You want to make a mod out of a device that doesn't normally have power. How do you easily add a battery pack to such a device? That's a question I asked myself and here's what I have found.

1. You can order a battery holder from such places as Madvapes (one of my favorites) but you do not have room in your mod for a battery box

2. You can go down to "The Shack" and buy a battery holder (but it's plastic and cheap looking)

3. You can take an aluminum LED pocket flashlight and convert it to a really cool battery pack.

4. You can buy a pair of battery clips (like I used in my inhaler mod) but you take the chance of something shorting on something else, since the clips are not insulated.

I chose #3, since I have extra pocket lights and buy them for about a buck and a half each, about the same as a cheap plastic holder.

The FL I chose was a 3-watt MXDL "cree-type" AAA flashlight, which holds a 10440 just perfectly. If I had more room in my mod I would have chosen the MXDL AA light, it holds a 14500 li-ion (which has a much better life than does the 10440).

Step 1: remove the LED cartridge, open up and clip the wires at the board (you might find another use for the very bright LED, no sense wasting this spare part)

Step 2: using a soldering iron, remove all SMT components on the back side of the battery connector board (you just heat and scrape them off the board). Clean up the board if there is extra solder slopped around.

Step 3: Identify the connector points for the positive (center) and ground (the outer ring) and solder long leads to each. Test for continuity with your ohmmeter to make sure you have good connections and also that the two circuits are completely independent of each other.

Step 4: fill the entire LED cartridge with epoxy or hot-glue so that the wires don't wiggle loose and become disconnected from the board (important)

The LED cart with leads installed

Step 5: Reassemble the flashlight with the leads coming out where the lens used to be. I included the reflector and also had to include a rubber washer to take up a little space so I have a good connection to the battery.

Bob's your uncle

Aren't you dying to know what I am modding? You will have to wait until I progress on the project. ;)

asnider123

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2010
PART 2, Bread-Boarding The Electronics

Well, figured it out yet? I bread-boarded the electronics to test and make sure it is working. Looks like a fist-full of spaghetti, but it works! What? Is that TWO LEDs? Perhaps .......

What in the world is that crazy asnider guy making now? Only time will tell.

Part 3 will be the guts mounted in some weird container, I bet! That guy's nuts!

asnider123

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2010
PART 3: My First Wooden PV

OK, the cat is out of the bag, I made my first wooden mod. Hope you like it :laugh:

It's a 3.7v mod with an 801 atty connector (my new favorite) .. aluminum battery pack, NO pushbutton, 2 hi-intensity headlights.

I had originally wanted to put the atty connector in the front grill. Unfortunately, the hi-int. headlights almost blinded me, so I changed my mind and decided to mount it on the hood.

I know you've seen a lot of wooden mods (including Hog's great mods), but you probably have never seen a mod with wheels (yes, it really rolls across the floor). Now when I tell my wife "Honey, pass me the PV" she doesn't even have to get up :blink:

It reminds me of the wooden car models they used to make for kids.

Like it? :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread