Status
Not open for further replies.

prof beard

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
Stafford UK
Why did I buy the Kick?

The Kick is an adjustable wattage, drop in module for many 18650 and 18500 battery equipped personal vaporizers, and provides a userjh adjustable wattage range from 5 watts to 10 watts. The unit is specified as working best with atomises and cartomisers rated between 1.3 to 3.0 ohms. Apparently, you can use higher rated resistance atomisers/cartomisers but the Kick will not regulate well at the highest power levels if resistance is above 3 ohms.

The Evolv site says: Unlike Variable voltage devices, the Kick does not need frequent adjustments. Once you find your preferred Power level, there is no need to constantly adjust it because the Kick will maintain that Power level even if you change attys/cartos and/or resistance.. This is what attracted me to the Kick. I use mechanical non-regulated "3.7v" devices with mainly 1.5ohm 306 and 1.5 or 1.7ohm 901 atomisers. That's what I like nowadays and it means I'm vaping at between 8 and 9 watts normally. I have a huge number of assorted atomisers and cartomisers going back over the last three years or so and the idea of being able to have a device which is set to my preferred power that I don't have to fiddle with, and that I can just screw the things onto and use, was attractive.

Courtesy of ......... I managed to get one (more by luck than persistence) and I have a second Kick on back-order with Cloud 9 so I will have a spare Kick as well.

Why the Precise Plus 18500?

I don't like big devices - I prefer a smaller device and a spare battery to something like an 18650 size device. The Kick will work in 18500 devices in combination with 18350 batteries - I have several 18350 devices - including a Precise Plus 18350 which is excellent - so a Precise Plus 18500 would be a device of known quality that would not involve me in buying batteries of yet another size.

Unpacking and Installing the Kick

The Kick comes in a small plastic box:

2qmkgsn.jpg

Akron - didn't Devo come from Akron?

There are instructions included but there is a very clear pointer to where to find them:
20jkdqs.jpg

Out of the box, the Kick looks like this:

16ljz87.jpg

Note the clear wrapper around the outside - important to protect the Kick...

The base is a simple brass plate with a raised connector:

w8u6uq.jpg

Here is the important bit of the Kick - the adjuster. The scale on the actual adjuster appears to go from 1 to 3 - the range 5 to 10 is loosely marked (certainly not a precise scale :) ) on the surrounding circuit board:

14t1wnm.jpg

Not the cross-headed adjuster has no markings/arrows - to find "minimum" and "maximum" you have to fully turn the adjuster in each direction...

Here is the all-important spring which makes the other half of the Kicks connection by touching the side of the e-cig body. (The Precise Plus doesn't have an adonised internal surface so no problem there):

2ai0e39.jpg

Another shot showing the branding:

208cscw.jpg

Evolv insist that the Kick be used with IMR batteries - failure to do this will invalidate the warranty. So, I dutifully got three brand new AW IMR 18350s and, having charged them up, dropped one into the P+ 18500 with its +ve terminal upwards. You can see it leaves plenty of room:

f2naqw.jpg

I then carefully inserted the Kick with the same orientation. I found it went in pretty easily:

fcdw7.jpg

I next used a small flat-head precision screwdriver to set the Kick's adjuster to somewhere to around 8 or so watts (pretty much a guess of course). I was pleased to find my P+ would do up all the way with the Kick in it (some have found it didn't). Here is my P+ 18500 with my P+ 18350 in front of it to show the difference in size:

33uamag.jpg

Unlike my P+ 18350, my P+ 18500 has a polished switch locking piece:

bimesy.jpg

I have a large number of unused standard resistance RN4075 and DSE901 atomisers from the "pre-LR" days, so I got an RN4075 (from TECC I think), and fitted it to the P+ with a 510-901 adapter and and Empire Drip-Shield and Super T whistle tip dip-tip:

bdh5x.jpg

Now, these atomisers are over 3ohms (see Evolv's comments about that) so I was ready for problems - the RN4075 worked fine for about 15mins then expired/burnt out. Ah well, I was warned - I turned the Kick down just a bit and tried again - thus time I got 30 minutes! Third time lucky? Yes, I turned the Kick down to a bit less than 8 watts (guess) and this time all was well. The RN4075 gave me a very similar vape to a modern 1.7ohm LR DSE901.

Although the P+18500 is a bit bigger than I prefer, it isn't so much bigger as to be a pain (shown here alongside the P+ 18350 with a DCA306 fitted to it)

vii5b7.jpg

With the same setting, I tried the P+ and Kick with my Siam Mods tank using a DC cartomiser:

5mbwog.jpg

I must say it was much improved over using the same thing at an unregulated 3.7v.

Conclusion?

Well the Kick appears to do "what it says on the tin". I'm still perfectly happy with my LR 306s and LR901s in my normal "unkicked" mods, but the Kick will allow me to get the same power levels through other atomisers and cartos and will help reduce my ridiculously large stock of atomisers (with luck and willpower - no it's not going to happen is it...). Battery life using an AW IMR 18350 with the Kick isn't great - I've been getting about three hours regular vaping - but I'm using this combo at home, so no big deal...

RamShot Rowdy

Battery Police
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2009
Oklahoma, USA
Very nice review. I actually started out with a Kick in my P+ 18650 using dual coil 1.5 ohm cartomizers. Now that I've switched to 1.5 Ohm single coil cartos, I'm just running an AW 18650 2600 mah battery. The thing lasts me all day, and the vape is good through the battery life. Also I was getting 2 to 3 hours our of the 18490 IMRs, and I have yet to run down a ICR 18650 during a full day of vaping. So I guess a lot depends on what atomizers you're using, and how much battery life you're willing to give up. The Kick is a cool device though, it does seem to keep the vape pretty consistent.

Last edited:

BuzzKilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2010
Etobicoke, Ontario
www.graindeep.etsy.com
Not the cross-headed adjuster has no markings/arrows - to find "minimum" and "maximum" you have to fully turn the adjuster in each direction...

The markings are the two little dots on the cross head itself.
I find that the pot does show its range quite clearly, also the markings on the board do a half descent job considering there is no digital read out.
:p

Even still, this is a very clear & concise review of the Kick.
Thank you for taking the time to do it.
5/5

Kicking my P+18650 was the best thing i have done to it!
:toast:

CromsDog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2012
Columbia, SC USA
Thanks for the review Prof! I think this will be one of my next set-ups and it is exactly what I needed to help me pull the trigger. Quick question though, what happens when your battery is done on this rig? With the Kick in line does it just stop firing? If so, what is voltage at on your 18350 after you take it out? Thanks again for a great review

CD

BuzzKilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2010
Etobicoke, Ontario
www.graindeep.etsy.com
The Kick actually pulsates the coil letting you know it is almost out of juice.
Sometimes it feels like the button isn't making contact, but its actually the kick purposely cutting out in sort pulses...

off the Precise my 18490's read 3.6-3.7V when the Kick says it is done.
I'm assuming 3.2-3.3V under load.
I don't have an in-line volt meter connector to test loaded voltage.

Hope i've helped

Omega.gr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Greece
I am using it with a handmade Greek mechanical mod. It's like my mod found its destination. To increase my vaping needs.
I use it with repairable atomizer and I don't care how much the resistance will be. I usually vape 8 watt. It's my magic number combining great steam and flavor.

Great review prof. Thanks !

CromsDog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2012
Columbia, SC USA
@Buzzkilla,

Thanks bud. That's pretty much what I was needing. I'm assuming you are using yours on a P+18650 so that's why the 18490's. Everything should function about the same assuming the 18350 drops from 3.7 to 3.3 under load like the 18490. If it needs higher off load voltage to sustain a 3.2/3.3 on load then vape times will be considerably less. Not too concerned about that because batteries are relatively cheap. Ever tried the AW protected with your Kick? If so have you gotten any longer vape times? I know they don't perform underload as well as the 18490's but with the Kick it shouldn't matter right? It will mantain a constant wattage so....

CD

The Kick actually pulsates the coil letting you know it is almost out of juice.
Sometimes it feels like the button isn't making contact, but its actually the kick purposely cutting out in sort pulses...

off the Precise my 18490's read 3.6-3.7V when the Kick says it is done.
I'm assuming 3.2-3.3V under load.
I don't have an in-line volt meter connector to test loaded voltage.

Hope i've helped

BuzzKilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2010
Etobicoke, Ontario
www.graindeep.etsy.com
@Buzzkilla,

Thanks bud. That's pretty much what I was needing. I'm assuming you are using yours on a P+18650 so that's why the 18490's. Everything should function about the same assuming the 18350 drops from 3.7 to 3.3 under load like the 18490. If it needs higher off load voltage to sustain a 3.2/3.3 on load then vape times will be considerably less. Not too concerned about that because batteries are relatively cheap. Ever tried the AW protected with your Kick? If so have you gotten any longer vape times? I know they don't perform underload as well as the 18490's but with the Kick it shouldn't matter right? It will mantain a constant wattage so....

CD

I would stick with the high drain IMR's, as recommended by Evolv.

Depending on how high of a wattage the Kick is setup for, the Protected AW's may not have enough punch (C Rating) to give the Kick what it needs. (someone correct me if i'm wrong)

That and the Kick may be fighting with the Protection circuit on the battery itself.
IE: Kick pulls too much power and the protection of the battery kicks in and shuts it down.

I don't think the Kick would fit with a protected AW 18350, if your mod was meant to take an 18490/18500.... it would be too long.

Either way the Kick was meant to be used with high drain batteries, AW is just the recommended brand.
and considering the info on these and other forums stating that other branded batteries that claim to be high drain aren't up to par with AW's i would just stick with that...

Hope that helps
:vapor:

BuzzKilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2010
Etobicoke, Ontario
www.graindeep.etsy.com
As per the Kick Instructions page on Evolv's website.
Evovl said:
*****REMEMBER – USE IMR BATTERIES ONLY*****
The Kick is designed to be used only as specified in these instructions. Using the Kick module in any configuration other than as outlined above will VOID THE WARRANTY and will be at your own risk. EVOLV cannot warranty, or be responsible for, any user modifications to the device and/or any application other than as specifically described in these user instructions.

yeah... use at your own risk.

CromsDog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2012
Columbia, SC USA
@Buzzkilla,

Thanks bud! You probably just saved me from blowing my GD stupid face off. (more than likely just have shorted out a few bat's before I went back and read the manufacturer's stupid warnings.) I guess it's a good thing that nobody has this in stock right now so I can't order one anyway before doing all my due diligence. I appreciate all the good advice.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread