The Guardian: is vaping any safer than old-fashioned smoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

khalidmna

ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2014
Liverpool, UK
An interesting article in the Guardian: is vaping any safer than old-fashioned smoke?

Of course vaping is safer, but it's interesting to read the comments under the article and realise how vaping is perceived by the general public.

Sample of comments:

"It is better for tobacco smokers to vape, yes, for themselves, but not in MY presence - I can do without nicotine and formaldehyde etc."

"filthy habit"

These people haven't vaped yet dismiss it out of hand!?

The article: E-cigarettes: is vaping any safer than old-fashioned smoke? | Society | The Guardian

willho01

Dec 17, 2014
N. Ireland
I read this article when it originally came out. I do this find this part in particular of concern:

The morning after I hear Walters’ story, I wake to find the idea of having a few drags on a shisha presents itself immediately. I’m beginning to worry. It feels like an addiction. But how is that possible? I check the back of one of the 0% nicotine packets they gave me. It says, CONTAINS NICOTINE. In a panic, I email the company. “That should not be on there,” comes the reply. I ask Michael Clapper if they are definitely free of the drug – “100%,” he says.

“But I’m craving them,” I say.

“It’s the throat hit, the visual cues, it’s the feeling of having something in your hand,” he says.

“But I wake up and want a Vapestick,” I say.

“No! Don’t put that in your article.”

“You promise it’s zero?”

“Zero, zero, zero. Not even a trace. It has to be tested. We have laboratory reports.”

The next day, I wake with an area of raw discomfort in my chest. My tongue feels as if it’s been scraped. I have a sore throat. Perhaps it’s the irritant properties in the stage smoke that Robert West mentioned. Perhaps it’s because I’ve chain-vaped while writing this article. As I tip a sachet of sweetener into my daily almond milk latte, it occurs to me I’ve discovered something new that, one day, I’m going to have to quit.

To break down a couple of bits:

It says, CONTAINS NICOTINE.

Seems like a silly oversight to make, are these companies rushing or is there something more sinister here?

“But I’m craving them,” I say.

“It’s the throat hit, the visual cues, it’s the feeling of having something in your hand,” he says.

Throat hit? On a 0 nic liquid?

“No! Don’t put that in your article.”

This part is rather disturbing in my opinion. Censorship is what the large tobacco companies have been trying for years. It makes them look underhanded and for me doesn't really go for what vaping is about. How exactly are they trying to market these to us?

The next day, I wake with an area of raw discomfort in my chest. My tongue feels as if it’s been scraped. I have a sore throat.

Hmm....ok, so this guy. A non smoker wakes with discomfort following vaping. I'm a great believer in 'listen to your body'. I do somewhat wonder how 'safe' vapour is. Is it safer than analog's? I have no doubt it is. However, for this very reason I wouldn't recommend a non-smoking friend to try them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread