The future of vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

joc3721

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2011
Colorado
Like a lot of folks on ecf, I have been successful quitting smoking (so far) via vaping. I'm only two months in with vaping and down to one cigarette a day, the first one in the morning. It seems it will be easy to drop this one, I'm just finishing a pack that been sitting around for weeks.

It's amazing to me how effective vaping is as a smoking cessation method. Nothing else comes close. I was a 1.5 pack a day smoker for 20+ years and tried all the other ways to quit. Nothing worked. Stopped almost on day one with vaping. Again, amazing given the highly addictive nature of smoking and the poor results from most of the other quitting alternatives.

As a newbie, I've been thinking about where vaping will go over the next few years. My basic assumption is that the big tobacco companies, and possibly the drug companies, will get into this game soon. There's just too much money to be made here. Also, products will be needed to fill the vacuum of declining smoking rates which have actually been underway for quite some time. I'd be surprised if the big guys don't already have products well along in development. Here are a few thoughts/predictions based upon the large companies guys getting into this space. From my perspective, the good and the bad.

The Good

1. Products will get a lot better. Big companies have the resources to do it right. We will get devices and accessories that perform consistently every time. Product quality will increase dramatically. Products will be differentiated to allow consumers to zero in and get exactly what they want, e.g. flavor, nic, throat hit, form factor, cosmetics, etc. Products will get better and better, multi million dollar R&D budgets can do that.

2. Products will become much more available/accessible. Convenience stores, mass merchandisers, supermarkets, specialty shops, etc. will all be outlets for vaping devices and supplies. Vaping will be main streamed.

3. We will finally know what the real health consequences of vaping are. This will take some time, but the big companies will do the clinical studies necessary to fullly determine what any adverse health effects might be. This is a big one for me.

The Bad

1. Everything will get a lot more expensive. Once the big dogs jump in, the government will start paying a lot of attention. Taxes and regulation will significantly increase consumer costs.

2. A lot of the little guys we patronize today will go under. When you can buy an atty (that you know will work) or some juice you really like at your local Wal Mart instantly and probably for less than your favorite internet supplier, well.....most people will do that.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I forsee this scenario playing out over the next few years.

madjack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2011
Central Louisiana
I fear you may be right...certainly regulation and some form of taxation on nicotine is coming...one of my fears is the small guy is going to be kicked to the curve as big money steps in and I fear BigTobacco will be adding various additives to juice, just like they do to funkarettes now with govt protection while they do so.........
madjack:2cool:

MollieA

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2011
Santa Monica
I'm around the same level as you-- and I too worry about the future of vaping and the availability of vaping products.

I find it interesting that when one orders a vaping kit, they generally state that vaping is not for smoking cessation. I guess it's just a general disclaimer-- but having tried all varieties of smoking cessation products and having failed, only vaping has allowed me to cut down on the analogs to the extent that I am down to one or two in the mornings. Can't seem to shake that first analog in the morning yet- but progress is better than failing.

If it weren't for vaping, I'd still be smoking a pack and a half a day.

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
I may be wrong with this comment, MollieA, but I don't believe vendors are allowed to call e-cigs "smoking cessation" products due to FDA rulings. If memory serves me, e-cigs are now regulated or going to be regulated like tobacco products rather than as a means of quitting. So, to be safe vendors put the disclaimer on their sites.
For me, e-cigs were a Godsend. They helped me get off a 2 PAD habit. I'll still have an occasional "...." just to see how lousy they really do taste and to re-confirm my decision to go to vaping. Vaping had made my life so much better. No more morning hack, better endurance, less carcinogens, etc. Personally, I consider them smoking cessation devices, but that is my own opinion.
If the gov't. and big tobacco does get involved, I think it will be the death knell of many vendors. There is no way they have the capital to compete. And to me that is a shame. I plan to stay with the vendors who have helped me learn about vaping as long as possible and to be very vocal about gov't. regulations. Our legislators have many more things on their plates to worry about like keeping the gov't. running or getting us out of that morass in the MidEast. They should leave us alone.... we're doing fine without any intervention from Big Brother.
Just my two cents..... hope I did not step on any feet.

Last edited:

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I may be wrong with this comment, MollieA, but I don't believe vendors are allowed to call e-cigs "smoking cessation" products due to FDA rulings. If memory serves me, e-cigs are now regulated or going to be regulated like tobacco products rather than as a means of quitting. So, to be safe vendors put the disclaimer on their sites.
For me, e-cigs were a Godsend. They helped me get off a 2 PAD habit. I'll still have an occasional "...." just to see how lousy they really do taste and to re-confirm my decision to go to vaping. Vaping had made my life so much better. No more morning hack, better endurance, less carcinogens, etc. Personally, I consider them smoking cessation devices, but that is my own opinion.
If the gov't. and big tobacco does get involved, I think it will be the death knell of many vendors. There is no way they have the capital to compete. And to me that is a shame. I plan to stay with the vendors who have helped me learn about vaping as long as possible and to be very vocal about gov't. regulations. Our legislators have many more things on their plates to worry about like keeping the gov't. running or getting us out of that morass in the MidEast. They should leave us alone.... we're doing fine without any intervention from Big Brother.
Just my two cents..... hope I did not step on any feet.

It seems really bizzare to me that only thing that really helped all of us quit smoking is now gov't regulated as not being allowed to be called a cease smoking device. Wierd! Ask the people and get the facts, ask the gov't and get a twisted view of vaping. Ah well, we all know vaping helps kick that habit. I guess we can still call vaping an alternative to smoking. Plus it is so flavorful, I am hooked on the flavors :) bnrk

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
I have to disagree with the OP .. I honestly believe we will face difficult times in the future .. especially on the liquid .. R&D will grind to a halt if and when the FDA begins stepping in big time .. contents labeling will become required no matter if you call it a NRT or not ..

Let's keep in mind that regulation does not always mean new regs .. it can easliy mean using the regs already on the books in new creative ways ..

We've been lucky so far, IMO .. and flown under the radar .. this is the Golden Age of the e-cig right now ..

proax9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
Pomona, NY
The perception of the necessity of involuntary regulation might be diminished if the liquid nicotine industry becomes pro-active in regards to self-regulation.

That is a logical statement- BUT we are talking about the gov't AND self regulation will not create income for our Uncle Sam or Big Pharma or BT.

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
I have to disagree with the OP .. I honestly believe we will face difficult times in the future .. especially on the liquid .. R&D will grind to a halt if and when the FDA begins stepping in big time .. contents labeling will become required no matter if you call it a NRT or not ..

Let's keep in mind that regulation does not always mean new regs .. it can easliy mean using the regs already on the books in new creative ways ..

We've been lucky so far, IMO .. and flown under the radar .. this is the Golden Age of the e-cig right now ..

I agree that we are flying under the radar during this golden age of vaping.
I expect big tobacco, big pharma and the so called health organizations will do all in their power to stop vaping regardless if it saves lives or not.
If they are successful it will be difficult to get cheap nic in the future.

jessietan

Sep 24, 2011
Singapore
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: saying "Bumping the post" is spamming for post count

Taniger1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2011
Pasco, Washington
Here's hopeing anyway. The FDA has already TRIED to hit vapers, FORTUNATLY the courts disagreed with the gov, strongly. I suspect right now, they will wait until the "big money" wants in before they try anything else. I go back and forth on the need to stock up on items. The future is mutable and changing. Like it or not, our options are to sit back and watch, while being as vocal as possible about keeping the right to vape AND telling Uncle Sam to .... (pun intended) OUT.

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
Five suits from RJR walked through VapeFest last weekend in Vegas. The crowd was overwhelmingly die-hard vape fans with unusual mods and accessories (like 2-ft long mods, LOL). I hope big tobacco's perception is that vaping is a quirky little hobby for a new generation of hippies.

They know better.
They are stalking us through cat eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread