The Front Porch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminds me of my beloved Memaw's (my second Momma's) front porch. Rocking chairs lining the entire length, but her special rocking chair right in front. A swing too...that fell so many times with rowdy family or kids. The women mostly. Lots of shelling peas out there, crocheting, gossiping, laughing, cussing, crying. Wow. Thanks Pawpaw for the memories. I'll keep an eye out here...:wub:

And the cars go by.

Trucking is hard Papaw. Many respects being thrown your way by me......good gawd. :) Give Mrs. Papaw a hug from me. :wub:

My Grandmother (we called her Nanny, she said she was too young to be Granny) had a full length front porch complete with five rocking chairs. We would sit out there and watch the afternoon thunderstorms roll by in the summertime.....

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
So I go into my first ever B&M tonight... or so I thought. It had a big VAPOR sign. But it was a tobacco shop in the front, a 'head' shop, advertised as a Hookah shop, in the back, and two little glass counters of vape gear in the middle. I told the sales girl 'I'm just looking" but when I gravitated towards the Vape Gear counter she came over and started asking "Can I help You ?" "is there something you might be interested in ?" "Would you like to look at one of our vaping supplies ?"
Finally, I said "no thanks, I brought my own.
Woodvil.jpg
I let her try Legend in my Woodvil, and Vanilla Dream in a VV Grand. She really liked the Vanilla Dream. But then the guy who ran the shop came over, took one look at my equipment and I could tell he really didn't want me in there. Most of his stuff looked like cheap clones to me anyways....

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Those are sweet porch memories :).

No porches in my past, no grandmas telling me stories, no siblings pushing me around... Y'all are bumming me out!!!

I'm kidding... I would have liked grandmas on front porches shelling peas.

Never had those experiences before either. But every time I see a long front porch, it just makes me want them.

Some day I will have a long front porch that wraps around the side. Wide enough to walk past those that are sitting in those chairs without feeling crowded. Of course here in Florida, it will have to be screened in :lol:

When we lived in town (first marriage and it was a small town) I would sit on the front steps and watch the world go by. The kids playing in the yard. That was probably the most relaxing thing on earth.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Never had those experiences before either. But every time I see a long front porch, it just makes me want them.

Some day I will have a long front porch that wraps around the side. Wide enough to walk past those that are sitting in those chairs without feeling crowded. Of course here in Florida, it will have to be screened in :lol:

When we lived in town (first marriage and it was a small town) I would sit on the front steps and watch the world go by. The kids playing in the yard. That was probably the most relaxing thing on earth.

Had one of those wrap around porches on the first house we built in NC. Ran the full width of the house than wrapped around one side. And it was wide so, as you say, can walk past people sitting in chairs. We never used it. :)

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
The first house we lived in, a rental, had a huge front porch. Swing, chairs, even a small gas grill while we enjoyed the evenings
Our First House (as in Mortgage) has a concrete stoop that was maybe 10' wide and 8' out. My Dad, who owned a wood working shop at the time, built benches just so we could sit out front there.
Our Current Home has neither, so I set up some park benches in a cool, shaded area maybe 25' from the front door.

Shady place.jpg benches.jpg

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I would. I like sitting out. :)

Our neighbors sucked. And I mean big time!!! That's why we never sat out there (and why we moved). Wife beaters, senile curmudgeons, and downright weirdos all around us (and none of them native to NC). Strangest collection of neighbors I ever lived with. Didn't want anything to do with them. Even with that I came close to tearing one of them up. One of them called our realtor when we were selling our house acting as if they were interested in looking at our house (as a potential buyer). Then they cancelled a couple days later saying they drove through the neighborhood and didn't like the kids skate boarding in the street. Why did they do that you ask? Because they hated our neighbor's kids skate boarding in the street and wanted to get us to complain about them. I figured it out and went over to their house and got in the lady's face and threatened to burn her house down with her in it if she pulled another stunt like that. Her husband (who is a lot bigger than me) didn't know she did that so he didn't come to her defense. About a year after we moved, we went by and the new owners had all their exercise equipment on that beautiful porch. Treadmills, stairmasters, weight bench,etc.. They fit right in to that neighborhood.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
indulge me for a minute.

I am going to close my eyes and imagine....

It has been a long night and I've been busy working the forum. I need a peaceful place to just sit.

I'm in the rocking chair on this front porch, the wind is sighing through the trees and I feel the warmth of the sun on my closed lids.

I hear kids playing in the distance and they are laughing. It makes me smile.

I hear cars down the street, like on the cross street. Far enough away to just be background noise and not close enough to be a nuisance. As I rock, I think about long lazy days when there weren't so many things that had to be done.

I feel myself relaxing with a vape and a sweetened ice tea. Life is now good.

Good night all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread