The Durbin Report - "Gateway to Addiction?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
The Durbin Report has flooded out all the media coverage of the "cancer link" rehash (the twice-published-with-the-same-abstract "preliminary" Stacy J. Park study that was reviewed in Nature and then went to many other places last week - see my latest news summary that I just posted for a collection of recent articles, also discussed here in media: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...re-comes-big-one-e-cigs-linked-c-n-c-e-r.html

The Durbin report ("Gateway to Addiction?"):
http://www.durbin.senate.gov/
public/index.cfm/files/serve/?File_id=81d14ff7-f2f6-4856-af9d-c20c0b138f8f

(You can paste the whole thing into your browser's address bar. The extra line doesn't matter.)

In a nutshell, this is part of what Bill G. calls "pressure" being put on the FDA to re-issue regulations under their tobacco product jurisdiction (as opposed to their therapeutic jurisdiction). Of course they already did issue reg.s but they were rejected by OMB as noted in this legislation thread: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...e-tells-agency-draft-submit-new-proposal.html [Bill may be right, but my alternate interpretation is that the goal is to make it politically difficult for their reg.s to be opposed by those who may have the power to do so, since the cause of vaping will be so thoroughly damaged by the various memes: (1) poisons children; (2) converts teens into tobacco smokers; and (3) no good for cessation.] Bill also makes a second point which is that FDA regulations under the existing "substantial equivalence" requirements would be tantamount to a ban.

Anyway I presume that if you're reading this forum, that you're interested in stuff like the Durbin report. At least for now, it's sucked all the media "oxygen" out of the air.

What I personally find astonishing is that BT/BV (big vapor) is spending so much on advertising, and doing so little about the Tobacco Control Industry's well-funded, brilliantly-organized "war on vaping."

Which will also be superbly-timed if (for ex.) things come to a cresendo before Memorial Day, with the introduction of Federal legislation (beyond the Protect Minors from Electronic Cigarette Avertising Act that was introducted on 2/26: perhaps a bill that simply does what the Tobacco Control Industry wants done w/o having to bother with the glacial pace of the FDA). Wouldn't be too surprising if the FDA is joined by the CDC, the NIH, and health dept's from all the US states and territories as well as the AMA and all the other NGOs in requesting same. You know - F2F sales requirement, no refillable cartridges, etc. etc. (Similar to the EU's Tobacco Products Directive).

$59M for advertising, and the best "second hand vaping" study that we have was funded by CASAA? And why is it that orgs like Heartland and R Street are left to do all the "talking" - why can't some of the "clean hands" firms like Logic and NJOY start taking out full-page ads and explaining themselves and the industry to the public? According to a great piece by Melissa Vonder Haar in CSPNet, Altria has exactly one employee dedicated to helping retailers fight local anti-vaping ordinances. And where are the local vape shops in most states (there are a few places where they're well-organized, granted).

Enough of my ranting ... we'll see whether the Durbin report has a lasting effect. Only six more weeks left before Memorial Day.

[For those of you who are unfamiliar with the annual rhythm here in the states' : it's generally said that the US summer is bounded by the Memorial Day holiday which occurs on the last Monday in May, and the Veteran's Day holiday which occurs in the first Monday of Sept. National PR campaigns are normally run with the idea of avoiding that date range in mind.]

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
I want to know who's paying these Regressives?

You, me, everyone... Reports by staffers on Capitol Hill are payed from the federal budget.

But I get your point, as to who's sponsoring this all-out assault on ecigs. Here, your guess is as good as mine, but it appears everyone who's not a vaper has a vested interest in seeing this technology go away:
- BT and the TCI for obvious reasons - all of their funding/profit comes from the tobacco trade; their very existence relies on a large fraction of the population continuing to smoke.
- BP makes a killing (pun intended) from the millions of casualties attributed to smoking.
- The gubmint also makes a huge amount of money from cigarette taxes (more than BT)
- the general public, brainwashed by decades of TCI propaganda, all but throw up in their mouth when they see anything that looks like smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread