Not open for further replies.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
Hello All,

You might ask what the heck is a Booger Box. No it's not a Booger it's a VV Bogger Box from Bogger Box Mods

I bought this box with my own tight wallet so this is a totally independent review.

A VV Bogger Box is a HandCrafted, American Made, Wood Bottom Feeding Box.

I Chose the VV Bogger Box form many reasons.
First I love Wood Boxes, I think they look unusual and elegant. The second is that I’m a something of a hobbiest, been vaping for 4 years. I kept hearing that the very best tasting vape available is through dripping. But I’ve tried dripping before and it wasn’t for me. Time consuming, Dry Hits, just isn’t intuitive.

I’ve used] Carto’s Clearos and lately I feel like I’m not getting the greatest taste. Also as a hobbyist it just didn’t seem right to not experience a bottom feeding device. Bottom feeding is equivalent to dripping, just the juice enters the atomizer through the bottom.

I’m a fan of VV, I like the ability to adjust the Voltage to the Juice and Atomizer instead of being stuck with adjusting the Atomizer and the Liquid to the PV.

The main choices I saw in the market were the Reo Grande VV [Metal], the Red Sky Mod, and the Bogger Box.
I didn’t include Vapage because their box is not VV.

I decided not to buy the VV Reo Grande because I’ve had/seen interaction with the owner and just haven’t been favorably impressed. I’m not saying anything bad about him and his service has an excellent reputation, but he just seems a little full of himself [Possibly Deservedly So]

The other thing I didn’t like about the Reo Grande VV is that it’s a mass produced metal box[See clarification in 3rd Post]. Also they skimp on the warranty, VV chip electronics is only warrantied 6 months.
One other intangible is the button, that VV Reo Grande button just looks downright cheap. The WoodVille VV which he’s stopped producing due to the success of the metal units has a very nice button.
So for $195.00 I don’t get a year warranty, I get a mass produced box* with a cheap looking button.

Red Sky Mods – Never in Stock

I was on the forum and read about the Bogger Box. The reviews were very good, than I went to the site and they had two options. One was to get a custom crafted mod, you get to choose the Woods and it takes a few weeks. Or they had a number of Wood PV that were already configured and ready to go.

I investigated on the Forum again seeing if I could find any bad reviews, and they just weren’t there. I even saw Marcus [The owner] responding to a forum post where the person had dropped the Bogger and cracked the wood and he was offering to try to help.
The only negative review I found was that some were claiming that the Bogger Box drains the battery when the PV is not active. One post said overnight it discharges. Another Post says that it will discharge .10V per day. I’m going to put a fresh battery pack in tonight and check the next day. If this flaw exists it’s something that isn’t a deal breaker. I have 3 sets of batteries and always keep a pair in the charger, a pair on me and a pair in the unit.

What really got me off my duff is that for Easter they had a 15% sale, so my Bogger Box ended up with the extras like metal button and extra deep drip cup costing me under $150.00. I look for value and an American Made Crafted Wood Box VV priced at $40.00.00 under a Mass Produced Metal Mod looked good to me. In addition the Bogger Box offers a 1 year warranty. The only other company in the Industry offering 1 year Warranty [That I know of] is Provape. I figure that any company offering a1 year warranty in this industry must be very confident of their quality.

Prior to purchase I had a question and put in a support ticket and when I checked my mail a few hours later, on a Friday Easter Weekend. The question was answered. I liked the way Marcus answered one part of it. When I asked him why his box is better than the Reo Grande he said basically that he doesn’t know, he concentrates on what he’s doing and doesn’t pay attention to what others are doing.
So darned it, he didn’t give me a chance to not buy the unit by not responding quickly. He demonstrated a commitment to a high service level.

Well I pulled the trigger on Friday Night and the PV arrived on Monday, turns out Marcus ships on Saturdays. Loved it. If I’m going to spend the big bucks on a PV, I really appreciate fast shipping. Than I opened the package and a beautiful smell of lacquer greeted my nostrils. I held it up and looked at it from all sides and it was flawless. The only flaw I could see was on the bottom there is a voltage adjustment screw and inside it looked like some sort of filling was on it up against the screw. So minor that it doesn’t bother me a bit, after all we are talking hand crafted.

The pictures on the website didn’t do my Bogger Box Justice, I bought a darker wood with a light trim. The wood turned out to be less dark and have a beautiful reddish tinge to it. I had been worrying that my PV would be too dark but the reddish tint and the slightly lighter shade made the difference.

The dimensions of the VV Bogger Box are:
3 cm thick // 4.8 cm wide + 5mm for Button // 10.2 cm Tall + 9mm Deep Drip Cup

I went into a vape shop yesterday and everyone looked at it and started salivating, they all asked me where I got it. The bogger box is a real attention getter.

The next step was to open the unit. This was a little hard to figure out, first the seams are so tight you have to look at it triple to make sure where the edges are. Also instead of sliding in and out it seems like the lid snaps in and out with some seriously strong earth magnets to hold the lid in place.
When I opened it I was really impressed by the interior, it was just so clean the wiring ran around the side and all the electronics were hidden.
Than I put in my 2 AW IMR 18350 Batteries and man it was tight. Not because there is no clearance but because the spring they are using is a very thick gauge high tension spring. I wouldn't be surprised if he pulled them out of some super stiff mattress and snipped them down with a Bolt Cutter. If you decided to use a larger protected battery, that might be an option.

I’m sticking with AW IMR 18350 because I’m only going to put the best in this APV. Scuse me do Ferrari owners put regular gas or high octane in there cars.?

Now let’s get into the review.
The bogger box is a Bottom Feeder. The mechanism is pretty simple. Inside the box is a plastic bottle, in the case of the bogger box the Nalgene LDPE bottle holds a whopping 8ml of liquid. The process is lthat you squeeze the bottle from the outside and it shoots e-liquid up into the Atomizer.
The use of the Bogger Box is very ergonomic. The button is on the top and below is the opening to squeeze the juice bottle. I grab the box and my index finger is on the Fire Button and my third finger squeezes the bottle. So I can Squonk while I’m firing the button. I noticed on the VV Reo Grande that the bottle is located on the left bottom of the unit and it didn’t look as user friendly.
I confirmed details with Marcus about the box and some features not found on his website.

The Bogger Box will adjust from 3.0V to 7.0Volts. The switch is a massive 5 amps! The button is large with a really nice feel to it. Slight click but not a lot. I do like the button it just feels right. By the way it’s waterproof and rated for 1 million clicks. Marcus says that if he’s going to give a year warranty he can’t afford to use cheap components.

The Large inside dripping cup around the atomizer is very interesting . I had to use a 510 extender to put a meter on the Bogger Box and would need an extender to use a Tank. Since I’m planning on using thin Atomizers, this Cup is perfect for me. By the way it looks sharp too. The drip well is custom and not fabricated from home depot washers. Not a drop of juice has spilled since I began. If overfilled it pools and than is absorbed back into the PV. He offers a shorty drip cup suitable for use with Tank use also. And says he has 12 options for drip cups!

One of my concerns when purchasing a mod is the threading and durability of the atomizer hole. The VV Bogger Box uses brass. One major problem that I’ve seen with mods is when the center pin gets pushed in and the unit can’t fire anymore. I asked Marcus about this and he says that he positions the pin 1mm higher and epoxys the inside of the bottom of the connector to keep it from moving. The jury is out on this one, but since I have a year warranty I’m going to trust that he “keeps it from ever being able to move”

Now we get to the 1 negative of the Bogger Box. Sorry Marcus, I have to be truthful. In some ways they’ve sacrificed functionality for fashion. His concept is to make a beautiful small unit. The Voltage Control is a screw on the underside of the box and you need a very small screwdriver to adjust it. Also it’s not marked from left to right or precisely calibrated so adjusting the voltage is very haphazard.
I can’t imaging using this PV initially without a 510 extender and a cheap Volt Indicator [Meter] http://eliquidplanet.com/assembled-volt-indicator.html, at least until you get accustomed to it. He does provides you with a keychain screwdriver that’s nifty. Changing the voltage on this unit is not a pleasant experience.

Now we enter into the fun stuff, what about the vaping experience. Excellent the ergonomics are great. The filtering on the Box are very good you can use any meter to check the voltage. One of the ways that you can check if the PWM filtering is good is when you put a cheap indicator like the one above it works. They won’t work unless the output voltage is steady. I found a drop of .14 to .2 under load.

Purists will be annoyed by that, me if the change is the same every time than I just accommodate for it.
It uses two stacked batteries which generates 8.2 V of electricity when the batteries are fully charged and than the voltage steps down. I’ve found these devices to be more stable and reliable than booster types of devices that take 3.7 and boost the current up.

I was vaping a 2.5Ohm Boge Atomizer at around 4.7 and it lasted from early morning into the evening. You definitely will want to carry a spare set of batteries with you. Considering that the two batteries are only 700mah each it’s decent vaping time and a fairly efficient unit.
By the way, with two stacked batteries and a 5Amp switch I believe that this PV is suited to xtreme vaping especially with a 7V maximum output.

My apologies, to those that have read my Smoktek Box Reviews, I’m not going to torture test my Bogger Box, it’s just too pretty. I hope that some xtreme vapors will come along later and brag how they went to 6V on a 1.5ohm Atty. But not me!

Last edited:

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
I should mention that I'm currently Vaping 100% VG 20mg on a 1.8OHM Empire Bridgless Atomizer. I had to lower my Nic Level because I"m vaping more and the Bottom Feeding is creating tremendous vapor that puts my old Clearo to Shame.

I've lowered my Nic Level to around 20mg to accomodate the Bottom Feeder and the Vape is out of this world.
Much tastier than the Carto and Clearo that I've been using. This APV has made me a convert to Bottom Feeding.// dripping.

It's a little upsetting because what am I going to do with my other 3 mods. Sigh...

Last edited:

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
I had a VV Boggers for a few months. Except for the need for the screwdriver, it was nice (the cool little screwdriver was included, though and easily mounted inside the box). I prefer a thumbwheel by far. It was a little thicker, and heavier than my VV Woodville and the regulator wasn't nearly as efficient. The fellow I sold it to uses it as a show piece instead of vaping it, which speaks to how nice it looks.

And, sure. 6.0v for 1.5 ohm worked just fine. Back when I had my bogger, I was still using 1.5 ohm dual coil cartos @~6.0v pretty often. The device was perfectly capable of that. Though I still have quite a few of those in my stock, I haven't used one in a long time. My feeders have really reduced my use of cartos.

Last edited:

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
I've been corrected by Six on my description of the Reo Grande.

He feels it's not mass produced because the company only did a run of 1000 at a time. And that it's done locally in a Machine Shop and hand assembled in the U.S, and hand Power Coated. He has a point. So let's meet in the middle. I'll amend my description of "Mass Produced Metal Box" to My impression of the Reo Grande is that it appears mass produced and doesn't have the character of a Wood Box.

2nd clarification according to Six the Reo Woodville hasn't been discontinued, they plan another run in the summer. To me if I can't buy it right now and it's not being produced than it's out of production. But he has a point. So I'll amend discontinued to "Temporarily Discontinued with plans to begin manufacturing in the summer"

3rd He feels that I'm unfair when I say that the Wood Mod has been discontinued due to the success of the Aluminum. He may be right. I'm not familiar with the Reo Grande or how the company thinks. But if it talks like a duck and walks like a duck, than it's probably a duck.

In my opinion, the Aluminum is much cheaper and subject to Mass or quicker production. It only makes sense that a businessman will devote his resources to where the money maker is. but I'll amend my statement to read, "the owner has decided to devote his current recources to producing the Metal Box mods.

As a businessman myself, I think if he can produce the Metal Mods Faster and Cheaper than the Wooden Mods, and make a tremendous profit, it's a common sense decision to devote the companies energies toward production of the Aluminum Models. If I'm right and there is a possibility that I'm wrong, given the demand for the Box, he'd be a fool not to.

Last edited:

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
Pardon me for the misspelling of Laquer and thank you for taking the time to correct me.
I''ve edited the post.

Lacquer is a shiny clear hard coating to protect the wood. The smell went away within an hour. It signifies that the VV Bogger Box was recently made.

By the way I also ommitted the dimensions of the VV Bogger Box and have added them in by request.

3 cm thick // 4.8 cm wide + 5mm for Button // 10.2 cm Tall + 9mm Deep Drip Cup

In addition the Wood on the box Measured 5mm Thickness.

By the way, I've double checked my measurements and have been told that they differ from the website so below are some pictures remember the camera distorts so my written measurements are more accurate.
Thick
Bogger_Thick2.jpg
Wide
Bogger_wide1.jpg
Height
Bogger_Tall3.jpg

Last edited:

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
I've done initial tests But to give the VV Bogger Box a fair shake, I need to do the same test using a different pair of batteries. Also I was using a Zmax and testing total voltage, according to Marcus, I need to make sure that the batteries are matched individually. So there are some flaws in my methodology.

I'm now using both the Zmax and checking the batteries on a Multimeter.

Two nights ago I Charged my AW IMR 18350 Batteries to a combined 8.1 Output +-.5V than I left overnight approximately 8 hours inside of the Bogger Box when I tested the box in the morning the test came in at 7.9. Than I put the batteries aside and tested that evening and they maintained a charge of 7.9V. I left in the Bogger Box approximately 10Hours and when I tested the battery it was at 7.7

I'm going to do this every night for a week.

Battery science is that the sweet spot for a battery is at 3.75, that is the voltage it will stay at the longest and is resting voltage.

In any event, it's confirmed if you leave your batteries in a VV Bogger Box overnight you will lose voltage when above 3.80 per battery. How much and at what points needs to be determined.

My testing is not done this is preliminary

Last edited:

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
To add a little something to your testing methodology, I suggest after you test those batts in the box, test the same pair out of the box as well. Charge them and test them having not been put in the boggers at the same interval you tested when they were in the device. That will provide you a better base line because all of the rechargeable batts we use in these devices get what's called "surface charge" while on the charger. Surface charge dissipates relatively quickly (depends on the cells, but anywhere from a few hours to a couple of days is pretty normal) and the voltage read will drop some after just letting the batts rest a while after being charged.

There will always be a little drain when a circuit is complete even when the load is unmeasurable (well: let's say "hard to measure"), so I have no doubt that you will experience some drain just from the regulator being live in the boggers box... but figuring out just how much drain is a difficult undertaking without equipment much more advanced than a multimeter. Candlepower forums has a lot of good information about this sort of thing and you might even find some relevant posts from the AW rep.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
I leave the Battery in the Bogger Box overnight.
Than I leave them outside the box not stacked from morning until night.
Than in the evening before inserting in the Bogger Box I check them again.

There has been no loss of energy by the batteries when they are not in the box.

Something about being stacked is causing them to lose Voltage.

But the testing is not done yet. I'm going to do it a few more days and than I'm going to put the Batteries in a Sigelei Zmax
and see if the same thing happens. The Sigelei will be the control.

Last edited:

MFToms59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2012
Nevada
I enjoyed your review and have been interested in a Bottom -Feeder, unfortunately they only accommodate 18350 Batteries. Since I already use 14500, 18500 & 18650 Batteries, I'd prefer a unit that accepts one I already have on hand... Might have to make an exception. :confused: :unsure:

One last thought on the sensitivity of the VV adjustment, I don't need an exact number when adjusting because I adjust the output to taste.

Last edited:

MFToms59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2012
Nevada
I really don't have the patience for rebuilds, I bought 7 pieces each of the LR (1.8 & 1.5) Bridgeless Attys from Empire Mods after reading your other post. The only re-buildable I use is the Octopus for trying liquids, and I cheat by using the pre-made coil/wick assemblies. I did look at the Reomizer and they were out of stock (Thankfully since I'm easily influenced)

While I was still able to use the discount, I picked up a second Custom DNA20D non-bottom feed I'll gift to my sister. She like the VV Gripper I showed her in March 2012, and took that from me instead of the Vision Spinner I had bought for her, gave the Spinner to my cousin.

I'm already set on a DNA20D Bottom Feed sometime in the future (Or on the next sale :blush:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread