The 3.7's...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whytlash

Nov 10, 2010
Washington
Hello all!

I just crossed the 4 month mark free from analogs on the 10th of this month, which I'm really happy about! I started back in September with a 510 and grew a bit over time into "other" models. I do love the eGo's, and I still love the 510. I recently got into the 901, and I really enjoy that too. I've got mulitiples of all of the above, but with all the reading about mods and having a 5v PT 510 and using LR attys on the eGo's, I decided to take a small leap of faith.

I grabbed a 3.7v box mod (the 2x AA box which uses one 14500 batt) from madvapes with a couple of 900mah 3.7v batts and a charger, and I LOVE this little thing! I remember someone here saying it looks like a remote bomb detonator, and it's true! LOL! I love the on/off switch, and that BIG red button. I use an LR 510 atty on it, and it's The Shiz. Even regular 510 attys work great on it. A very cool little PV!

I was keeping an eye on the Totally Wicked site because of the yo-yo sale, and just had a hankerin' to try a Screwdriver. Well, I finally caught it at 46% off and pulled the trigger on the Silver version, the Basic Kit. When it arrived, I have to admit I was a bit underwhelmed. The atty is a 901 at 3.4 ohms. I also got the Spares Kit at 46% off, and they are all 3.4 ohm (my SLB 901's are 3.0 ohm +/-). The vapor production, even though the 18350 batts run almost 4.2 volts at full charge, is not what I was expecting. Perhaps my expectations were too high. In and of itself it's a cool little PV, and works well (not too hard to get used to using my pinky to push the button, but still kinda weird!), but I just received some LR 901 SLB attys in CHROME (the TW's are basically SS) from ValueVapor (where I get all my 510 and 901 stuff from now) and they look much better on the SD (ALL CHROME!), but the best part of that deal is now I have the VAPOR I was looking for! A 1.7 ohm atty (half the resistance of the TW attys) makes a world of difference on the SD.

I've said all that mostly for informational purposes. I know there must be others thinking about such things, and trying to find enough information to help them make a decision. Although I do enjoy using a PV that is "cigarette-like", I've found a lot of enjoyment from these other types of PV's that are not. Inasmuch as I'm dropping a 30 year habit that has gotten quite a bit more expensive over the years and is slightly astronomical today, I think the price paid for all these different PV's is a sound investment in the ultimate result; STAYING AWAY FROM CIGARETTES!

I hope others may find this helpful.

Steve

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
Congrats on the 4 months! I just love milestones and like you I buy stuff as a reward. Provari should hit for the 5 month mark. Now what to buy for 6 months???? 28 year EX 1.5PAD smoker with per pack price here in NY at $11. That provides a lot of buying incentive when shopping for vaping gear. Happy Holidays and big clouds to you in the New Year!

Sdh

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
U.S.
Hi! Great sale at TW. The screwdriver sounds cool. Is it a true 3.7 volt? Just curious. I have been running my ego 900/1000s with LR mega attys and love the vape. However, I do not know how long this will last. Can you tell me more about the screwdriver to a noob like me....when it comes to new things I try to research....however it can be overwhelming. Someone wants to buy me something...I can't afford anything right now...hours frozen at work...so I want to make sure on the purchase. (Since they are buying.) TIA for any information...

Whytlash

Nov 10, 2010
Washington
Thanks Liv! I've thought about the VV PV's, but that a chunk o' change! And I may try one somewhere down the line, but right now I get all I need from what I have. I just really like the idea of a PV with a replaceable battery. And one that runs at a little higher voltage than 3.2 volts or so. I find the 5v PT is pretty much enough with a regular atty, in fact sometimes a little too hot for some juices. The eGo's work really good with an LR, and the full 3.7 works great. Although I hadn't looked at my latest "acquisitions" as a reward, that works for me! The last time I tried to quit, back in 2000, I made 4 months and couldn't get any farther. I love the fact that at 4 months now, I have no great desire to smoke, and I've been 2 PAD for about the last 10 years. Only transient little thoughts now and then, but I feel them - then forget them. It helps to grab a PV at those times and blow some vapor!

I heard about the prices of cigs in NY, and didn't feel so bad about paying $8 for a pack. At least in comparison!

Have a great Holiday Season, and keep on vaping!

Steve

Whytlash

Nov 10, 2010
Washington
Hey Sdh! Yeah, the SD uses an 18350 Lithium battery that is 3.7 volts. As I say, when fully charged they run just short of 4.2 volts. I put my meter on 'em to check. After maybe 8 hours or so, I check the voltage (just did it today, in fact) and it's at 3.5. They're 900mah, and last quite a long time. We'll see how they do with the LR atty.

I run a Mega atty (type B) on my two 900 eGo's and I find the vapor on those to be phenomenal. I was really surprised! I run LR 510's on the 650's and they work great. But you have two considerations with the eGo's; although many people run LR attys on them with no trouble, many others have had the switches fry on them. They use a MOSFET switch, and it is not ideally suited to the higher amperage flow of LR attys. Also the higher discharge rate will decrease the useable life of the battery. With something like the Screwdriver, or even the little box mod I mentioned, you can replace the battery. On an eGo you can't - you have to toss the PV. The box mod uses nichrome wire and a 5 amp switch, so you'd have to work really hard to fry that! The Screwdriver is purely mechanical - no wiring, and that's the best you can achieve for protection against failure. The + of the batter contacts a spring at the top of the body that's attached to the atty connector, and when you push the button on the bottom the screw that holds the button contacts the - end of the battery and makes the circuit. The button is spring loaded so you are pushing against the tension of a spring, which also pushes the button back out when you release it. And with LR attys you have no fear of frying anything (no wires, no electronics), the batteries last a long time, and are cheap and replaceable.

And, being chrome, it just looks cool! Especially with a chrome atty. And you can get an adapter to use a 510 atty on it, since it comes with a 901 connection. But I like the 901 attys. I'm going to get the adapter ($2.95) and try a 510 atty on it. The regular Joye 510 attys are 2.1 ohms, and rock on a 510 batt. My favorite combo there is my Joye 510 mega batt and a regular Joye 510 atty. That blows some smoke! And in metallic red it looks cool!

Anyways, the SD is a fun PV, and I like the fact that I got it at 46% off, so the basic kit with the SD body, one atty, one batt, and the charger was $36.

Hope that helps,

Steve

floridamale

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Florida
The TW SDMKll is a workhorse with the LR901's, I have been using one for a while you get solid vapor and long battery life. The Value Vapor atty's are priced right, I have had a few from them DOA but they took care of that.
I use 3 x 18350's in a rotation and always have power good for 8-10 hrs on a charge.

REGGAEGEEK

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2010
West Georgia
Hello all!

I just crossed the 4 month mark free from analogs on the 10th of this month, which I'm really happy about! I started back in September with a 510 and grew a bit over time into "other" models. I do love the eGo's, and I still love the 510. I recently got into the 901, and I really enjoy that too. I've got mulitiples of all of the above, but with all the reading about mods and having a 5v PT 510 and using LR attys on the eGo's, I decided to take a small leap of faith.

I grabbed a 3.7v box mod (the 2x AA box which uses one 14500 batt) from Madvapes with a couple of 900mah 3.7v batts and a charger, and I LOVE this little thing! I remember someone here saying it looks like a remote bomb detonator, and it's true! LOL! I love the on/off switch, and that BIG red button. I use an LR 510 atty on it, and it's The Shiz. Even regular 510 attys work great on it. A very cool little PV!

I was keeping an eye on the Totally Wicked site because of the yo-yo sale, and just had a hankerin' to try a Screwdriver. Well, I finally caught it at 46% off and pulled the trigger on the Silver version, the Basic Kit. When it arrived, I have to admit I was a bit underwhelmed. The atty is a 901 at 3.4 ohms. I also got the Spares Kit at 46% off, and they are all 3.4 ohm (my SLB 901's are 3.0 ohm +/-). The vapor production, even though the 18350 batts run almost 4.2 volts at full charge, is not what I was expecting. Perhaps my expectations were too high. In and of itself it's a cool little PV, and works well (not too hard to get used to using my pinky to push the button, but still kinda weird!), but I just received some LR 901 SLB attys in CHROME (the TW's are basically SS) from ValueVapor (where I get all my 510 and 901 stuff from now) and they look much better on the SD (ALL CHROME!), but the best part of that deal is now I have the VAPOR I was looking for! A 1.7 ohm atty (half the resistance of the TW attys) makes a world of difference on the SD.

I've said all that mostly for informational purposes. I know there must be others thinking about such things, and trying to find enough information to help them make a decision. Although I do enjoy using a PV that is "cigarette-like", I've found a lot of enjoyment from these other types of PV's that are not. Inasmuch as I'm dropping a 30 year habit that has gotten quite a bit more expensive over the years and is slightly astronomical today, I think the price paid for all these different PV's is a sound investment in the ultimate result; STAYING AWAY FROM CIGARETTES!

I hope others may find this helpful.

Steve

Congrats on 4 mths! I haven't found any of the single battery mods to perform exceptionally well IMO. You can try swapping to IMR (high-drain) batteries but to be honest i still haven't seen much improvement with 3.7v mods. Even with LR attys they still require that 5+ sec drag which to me is really a drag :-( After almost 2 years now giving up a 2p/day habit i found that i just kept craving more and more TH to be satisfied and i just never got any real satisfaction from 3.xV. The HV mods have been the only thing that kept me from reverting back to cigs. With 6v and a 3.4ohm atty and dripping, i can take a 2-3 sec toot and get great vapor and TH. Knowing that i can never be satisfied with 3.7v again, i ordered the ProVari which i hope will allow HV vaping with a single battery.......finally.

Sdh

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
U.S.
Hey Sdh! Yeah, the SD uses an 18350 Lithium battery that is 3.7 volts. As I say, when fully charged they run just short of 4.2 volts. I put my meter on 'em to check. After maybe 8 hours or so, I check the voltage (just did it today, in fact) and it's at 3.5. They're 900mah, and last quite a long time. We'll see how they do with the LR atty.

I run a Mega atty (type B) on my two 900 eGo's and I find the vapor on those to be phenomenal. I was really surprised! I run LR 510's on the 650's and they work great. But you have two considerations with the eGo's; although many people run LR attys on them with no trouble, many others have had the switches fry on them. They use a MOSFET switch, and it is not ideally suited to the higher amperage flow of LR attys. Also the higher discharge rate will decrease the useable life of the battery. With something like the Screwdriver, or even the little box mod I mentioned, you can replace the battery. On an eGo you can't - you have to toss the PV. The box mod uses nichrome wire and a 5 amp switch, so you'd have to work really hard to fry that! The Screwdriver is purely mechanical - no wiring, and that's the best you can achieve for protection against failure. The + of the batter contacts a spring at the top of the body that's attached to the atty connector, and when you push the button on the bottom the screw that holds the button contacts the - end of the battery and makes the circuit. The button is spring loaded so you are pushing against the tension of a spring, which also pushes the button back out when you release it. And with LR attys you have no fear of frying anything (no wires, no electronics), the batteries last a long time, and are cheap and replaceable.

And, being chrome, it just looks cool! Especially with a chrome atty. And you can get an adapter to use a 510 atty on it, since it comes with a 901 connection. But I like the 901 attys. I'm going to get the adapter ($2.95) and try a 510 atty on it. The regular Joye 510 attys are 2.1 ohms, and rock on a 510 batt. My favorite combo there is my Joye 510 mega batt and a regular Joye 510 atty. That blows some smoke! And in metallic red it looks cool!

Anyways, the SD is a fun PV, and I like the fact that I got it at 46% off, so the basic kit with the SD body, one atty, one batt, and the charger was $36.

Hope that helps,

Steve

Thanks so much for the info! I think it would be a good choice for me.

uba egar320

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2009
WV
I'll chime in on the SD as well. Mine is a year old, and it's a tank. Does a great job with a carto adapter too. But for the most part I keep an 901 lr on it. I'm a big fan of Puresmoker's LR attys. They are a bit pricey, but they seem to give me the best bang for my buck. If you get one, I hope it works out for ya. Good luck!!

Whytlash

Nov 10, 2010
Washington
Thanks for all the great replies and input everyone. I did make a bob-boo though, it's 3 months, not 4. Sept 10th I quit and started vaping. But, it's still a good milestone!

There are so many different bits of equipment to choose from, you just pick one and see what happens. I can't own them all! I did just order a 5v 901 PT (meant to do it before but always forgot) particularly to use with the TW attys. I figure at 3.4 ohms they should kick pretty good at 5 volts, and I got the chrome one so it'll all kinda match. Got it from ValueVapor and it'll be here in a couple of days. Also ordered the adapter to use a 510 atty on the SD for three bucks. I figure it might come in handy although the LR atty on the SD is rockin'! Good thing I got 4 of them so I'm good to go for a long while.

I'm trying to keep some kind of a handle on how much I'm spending too. I can only use so many batteries and attys at one time! I've found the SD and the box mod really handle my "need for speed", and when I really wanna kick it up a notch I just use the 5v PT. But there may be a 5v or 6v mod in the future for me. Time will tell.....

Steve

REGGAEGEEK

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2010
West Georgia
I am finding all of this confusing, I am looking at what type of attys I will need for my Ego 650, I have noticed the ones that came with it are great, its description just say 510 attys, but then there are so many different types/brands of "510" attys. Anyone have a suggestion?
If you like the performance of the atty's you have, stick with them. If you are looking for a better price on them, check the suppliers here that offer bulk on Genuine Joye 510s... in qty of 10 or more they can be had pretty cheap.

Whytlash

Nov 10, 2010
Washington
Hi Mysti! A 510 is a 510, as far as the threading. Where the variety lies is in the resistance. Resistance will vary the amount of heat, snd therefore vapor, produced. I started with the Volcano Magma, and those attys are 2.5 ohm and they work very well. The Joye attys are 2.1 ohm and work very very well, but the tradeoff is that they will discharge the battery a bit faster. When I started getting attys at ValueVapor (genuine SLB), they are about 2.8 ohm and work well also. Then you have the LR (Low Resistance) attys that run 1.5 to 1.7 ohm, and there are some that are 2.0 ohm. LR attys should not be used on standard 510 batteries because the dishcarge rate is too high and will kill the batt, and at the least discharge it in a hurry. 20 minutes cape time on a batt doesn't sound like much fun! A higher mah batt, like the eGo, is the preferred 'weapon' for those. And sometimes the higher heat of an LR will "kill" or reduce the flavor of some juices. I use LR's on my eGo's and really enjoy it, and I have noticed the difference on some juices, but most are just fine and you get a tremendous "hit".

Beyond all that there is the matter of cost. I like the SLB's I get from VV because they're only 5 bucks. I've paid 7 to 8 for Joyes. I haven't felt the need to buy in bulk to get a lower price, yet!

I think buying one and trying it is the best way to go about it. That's basically what I did, and then you find what suits you, and it's not an expensive proposition either.

I hope this helps, and enjoy the journey!

Steve

Cindra

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2010
Florida
Thanks Steve, yes it does help. I think I get most confused in the different ohm on the attys. I will do like you suggested, try one and then another until I find one that works best for me. I guess I am a little worried about ruining my batteries too. I have the standard and mega 510's and then the eGo. I guess the ones I am currently using must be the 2.1 ohm? I have not found a way to know for sure what I currently have. I looked on the website and it didn't give any details, :( So that was no help, however, if I do as you suggested and try one then another, I will know what I have for sure and be able to make a better comparison.

Again, Thank you for your help.

ahardrain

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2010
NY
Congrats also, on being smoke free, whether it's 3 months, 4 months or 4 days. I have every 3.7 I think possible, other than mods. I am in love with my SD, love, love it. It came from Totally Wicked and it's a work horse. I am also a big fan of TW what a great store. I still use my eGo and 510 from time to time, but the hit I get from the SD is smoother to me. It comes with a 910, but the adapter for the 510 with a LR atty works the best IMO.

Even when I am home and have the eGo passthrough hooked up, my SD is right next to it. I have two complaints on the SD though, minor ones. The cap for the switch, no matter how long I have tried to put the holding cord on it, hasn't happened yet. I wish it came already assembled with it on. The other negative is the SD is a e-juice ...... I go through liquid like crazy, maybe that's why I love it so much, the taste I get with a topped off atty is awesome. I just noticed they have a new 910 1.5 LR atty just for the SD, I am ordering it and will give you my thoughts on it. Have a feeling I better stock up and a lot more e-juice ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread