TFA Apple Pie Is Yummy - TFA Cheesecake Not So Much

Status
Not open for further replies.

beckyblue

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 29, 2010
Los Angeles
I know I'm new, here, and jumping in like I'm old hand. I was starting to figure out DIY before a shameful year-long retreat to analogs:oops:. Two years on, I can STILL remember clear as day when I spilled that foul smelling Tiramisu all over a new, silk skirt! I remember that TFA's Caramel Candy was really tasty. Wish I knew where my little recipe notepad was...anyone know a nice, (re)starter recipe with that flavor?? Thanks, and sorry if this was something of a rude interruption!

Moonstruck

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 4, 2009
Colorado
Hmm, not sure if you should steep now!

I say that because, NO, my TFA Cheesecake Plain smells fine in the bottle, maybe strong buttery smell w/ a little vanilla. A bit less rich smelling than Bavarian Cream, with a bit more butter like smell to it. Similar to LA NY Cheesecake, but that one does have a little bit of a sour cream or cream cheese smell to it (But it's good kind of cheese smell :)). None of them smell rancid, or like bad cheese, butter, or milk ect.

So I do think you might have a bad batch!! Hard to say for sure because we can't smell each others to compare... Man, that sounded bad haha, here, smell this! :D

But ya, it does sound like the batch you have might be bad! I'd go ahead and contact the vendor for a replacement, especially if you purchased it recently. I don't know if it can spoil, how long that would take, or how it would smell when spoiled, but it sounds like yours might be since you mentioned rancid.

For your reference, my batch is - TFA-131510 (From WL)

Great to hear your toffee turned out nicely! I need to order some toffee and caramel flavors myself, thanks for the reminder!

I've had my flavoring less than a month. I always transfer them to 10ml dripper bottles (cuz I'm a clutz), so I do not have the batch number. And I remember how bad it smelled during the transfer.

I opened the 5% batch I made again this morning, and it still smells bad enough to make me gag. So I'm going to toss all 3 samples and the bottle of flavoring. I'm sure John will replace it, but I'm really not too worried about $1.49.

I've used cheesecake flavoring before (not this brand), since I used to make homemade candies and icings with it. And I never remembered it ever, ever smelling bad. That's why I posted here to get some feedback from others using this flavor from TFA.

Thanks for all your help. ;)

Moonstruck

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 4, 2009
Colorado
I know I'm new, here, and jumping in like I'm old hand. I was starting to figure out DIY before a shameful year-long retreat to analogs:oops:. Two years on, I can STILL remember clear as day when I spilled that foul smelling Tiramisu all over a new, silk skirt! I remember that TFA's Caramel Candy was really tasty. Wish I knew where my little recipe notepad was...anyone know a nice, (re)starter recipe with that flavor?? Thanks, and sorry if this was something of a rude interruption!

Hi, Becky, and welcome back to vaping. No need to apologize for jumping in; we're all pretty friendly here.

I've seen a few here posts about caramel & caramel candy flavors. I'm still kinda new; so far I've only used it as an additive. But I plan to make some caramel juice in the next day or 2.

You might find this thread helpful (see post #196):

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...10-flavor-apprentice-flavoring-thread-20.html

Maybe someone else will jump in, or you can post a new thread.

beckyblue

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 29, 2010
Los Angeles
Thank you SO much, Moonstruck, from a fellow clutz. That is quite a post you linked for me! I've never been on any forum before, so thanks for reassuring me about forum etiquette, as well. Come back to the thread once you've made your caramel juice to let us know how it turns out. I'm trying to get my chain-smoking great aunt to make the switch, and she adores Werther's Originals, so I'm hoping to learn how to create a Werther's vape to lure her over!

Merlin21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Well I thought I would post my findings as well. Smell out of the bottle is of a strong butter flavor mixed with a equally strong cheese flavor. When you say cheesecake, vanilla comes to mind but smelling it out of the bottle you do not get it. Not a pleasant smell to me but not a rancid one. I made the mistake of getting some on my nose from getting to close to the bottle and have been smelling it ever since, bah!

On to the recipe. I made a 5ml bottle with 5% Cheesecake, 10% Graham Cracker and 2% EM. Gave it a hot bath and shook shook shook. With out any steeping all I get is cheese, no cake, no graham cracker no nothing just cheese. I put in the back of a drawer to steep and taste it further down the road but can't say it is one I am craving to taste, hopefully it changes.

Also would like to add that it was nearly impossible to get that flavor out of my testing atty, peed me off as I had a multi flavor mixing session going and couldn't get a true taste for the others even hot water flushing the atty, soaking in vodka or running straight PG through it. I let it soak overnight in Isopropyl alch over night and that seems to have erased it but man that sucked.

Moonstruck, while I do not think mine smelled as bad as your I can not say it i something I enjoyed smelling or tasting right out the gates. I will report back after a week or two of steeping. I did not get a rancid smell and am pretty sure you got a bad batch

cals

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2012
Asia
from my end i made a 5ml at 7% and yea this stuff is voluminous, cant find a better word to describe it, i certainly feel a cheese kinda smell on the fire button,
the inhale and taste does taste like a cheesecake. a little tad on the mark at 7%
following the suggestion from aurora, i'll let it steep for a week and get back at y'all
for the second suggestion i might make another at 5% and see whether there is any difference , whether its better than that

merlin is it possible that the cheesecake be at 4% and the GC at 12% or so? to make it balance out; i dunno im a bit new here

Merlin21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2012
Northern New Jersey
from my end i made a 5ml at 7% and yea this stuff is voluminous, cant find a better word to describe it, i certainly feel a cheese kinda smell on the fire button,
the inhale and taste does taste like a cheesecake. a little tad on the mark at 7%
following the suggestion from aurora, i'll let it steep for a week and get back at y'all
for the second suggestion i might make another at 5% and see whether there is any difference , whether its better than that

merlin is it possible that the cheesecake be at 4% and the GC at 12% or so? to make it balance out; i dunno im a bit new here

Oh yea absolutely. I am going to let it steep for a week and revisit it. After that depending on how it changes. I will adjust the ratio or maybe add another ingredient to balance it out. Going to be hard out to figure out which flavor to add out of the 35 flavors I have hanging around.....lol.... Might add double chocolate, or vanilla cupcake, or marshmallow, or smooth, or hazelnut, or :unsure:

ROLF :rickroll:

indeed it was a like a pick me up vape when i first vaped it fresh , wowzers

Lol.... Bazinga!!

JUDGMENT AFFIRMED

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2012
BELLE VERNON PA.
I love the TFA apple pie flavor. I settled in at 12% Apple Pie & 5% EM.

The TFA cheesecake OTOH is just disgusting. It smells almost as bad as it tastes. :evil:

I am still rather new to DIY, but I've now made about 15 successful juices, mostly simple recipes.

I make my initial samples without the nicotine, just PG, VG & flavorings (so I don't waste my nic solution). So I tried the cheesecake at 5%, 7% & 10%. They all smelled worse than rotten meat. The inhale taste wasn't too bad, but the exhale was horrid on all three. I can't imagine using this even as an additive.

Is this normal for TFA cheesecake flavoring?

I've heard that Capella's NY Cheesecake is quite delicious. Should I get that one instead?

HI Moonstruck,
The TFA has 2, CHEESECAKE FLAVOR and CHEESECAKE {GRAHAM CRUST}
The one Graham Crust, I and a buddy both like ......tastes like cheesecake. Did it at 12%
The other is like cheese....Not good.....don't know how to make better yet.

glassmanoak

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
Lafayette, La
I bought cheesecake flavoring concentrate from WL about a month ago. I mixed up a batch at 5% on the 16th when I first saw this thread. The flavoring does NOT smell bad at all and the mixture does not have a very strong taste.. it certainly doesn't taste rancid. If I use it again, I will mix it at 10% or 15% and add another flavoring, but, to be honest, I have too many GOOD tasting first starts to spend much time on this one. Overall, not a bad flavoring, but not a good one either, IMHO.

Moonstruck

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 4, 2009
Colorado
I did finally just toss the TFA cheesecake samples I made. I came to the conclusion that they weren't just worth fussing over any longer, and that they were most definitely foul.

Yesterday I received my order of Capella flavorings from High Desert Vapes. I made samples of NY Cheesecake, Vanilla Custard, Gingerbread, Cake Batter, Chocolate Fudge Brownie. Klua & Cream, Strawberries & Cream, Sweet Watermelon, and the free sample of Raspberry.

The only one I have tasted so far is the NY Cheesecake. This is what I was looking for -- delicious. I'm happy. And if smell is any indication, I will probably like the other flavors as well. I am hoping the vanilla custard is at least similar to the juice I used to buy. And it will be interesting to compare the Capellas watermelon to the TFA watermelon which I have and like.

egicn

ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2012
california
I love the TFA apple pie flavor. I settled in at 12% Apple Pie & 5% EM.

The TFA cheesecake OTOH is just disgusting. It smells almost as bad as it tastes. :evil:

I am still rather new to DIY, but I've now made about 15 successful juices, mostly simple recipes.

I make my initial samples without the nicotine, just PG, VG & flavorings (so I don't waste my nic solution). So I tried the cheesecake at 5%, 7% & 10%. They all smelled worse than rotten meat. The inhale taste wasn't too bad, but the exhale was horrid on all three. I can't imagine using this even as an additive.

Is this normal for TFA cheesecake flavoring?

I've heard that Capella's NY Cheesecake is quite delicious. Should I get that one instead?

I am a newb at DIY. I usually like extra flavor. do you think the apple pie is too strong if say at 15%?

glassmanoak

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
Lafayette, La
I bought cheesecake flavoring concentrate from WL about a month ago. I mixed up a batch at 5% on the 16th when I first saw this thread. The flavoring does NOT smell bad at all and the mixture does not have a very strong taste.. it certainly doesn't taste rancid. If I use it again, I will mix it at 10% or 15% and add another flavoring, but, to be honest, I have too many GOOD tasting first starts to spend much time on this one. Overall, not a bad flavoring, but not a good one either, IMHO.

The 5% batch mentioned above and has been steeping for almost a month. Today, it tastes VERY good, so now I'm going to be mixing other flavors with it at about 8% and steeping in the Ultrasonic Cleaner. I'm anticipating an excellent juice, eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread