Telling the Doctor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

evolvewithme

Feb 3, 2014
Michigan
Last time i visited the hospital, i was asked if i had been smoking, and i told her that i actually don't smoke anymore, I vaporize with electronic cigarettes. She started telling me (as a doctor), " it's not conclusive that these devices are any better than cigarettes" She said that my health insurance would be raised because i would be labeled a smoker. So i lied and said that i had only vaped maybe 10 times and i wasnt going to anymore. Anybody else see the messed up logic here. Also how would you go about confronting this. Keep integrity or SELL out like me.:glare:

Peepaw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2014
Warner Robins, Ga USA
Last time i visited the hospital, i was asked if i had been smoking, and i told her that i actually don't smoke anymore, I vaporize with electronic cigarettes. She started telling me (as a doctor), " it's not conclusive that these devices are any better than cigarettes" She said that my health insurance would be raised because i would be labeled a smoker. So i lied and said that i had only vaped maybe 10 times and i wasnt going to anymore. Anybody else see the messed up logic here. Also how would you go about confronting this. Keep integrity or SELL out like me.:glare:

In that situation if I were asked if I smoked, I would tell the truth and say NO.
There's no reason for me to say anything more.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
The truth is that the insurance company WILL label you a tobacco user if they test and detect nicotine in your system. They don't care how it got there. If you are tagged as a tobacco user AND complete one of their cessation programs, then you will be able to "remove" the tag, and be considered tobacco free UNLESS you pop positive for nicotine use again.

This is why I am weaning myself down to 0mg juice. I really miss the throat hit, but it will be worth not be labeled by my insurance company as a tobacco user. By the time they get to testing, I plan on being completely nic free.

revco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Missoula, MT
From what I've read, this is very common. Much of the medical industry is taking a "wait and see" attitude, and if I'm honest with myself, that's the right perspective. There isn't the longevity in vaping that is required to truly and conclusively determine any levels of safety or long term effects that could be related to vaping. It doesn't matter our experiences, how we feel or the fact that most of us "know" it's a million times safer than actually smoking.

If someone asks me if I smoke, the answer is no. If someone asks me if I use tobacco, I say no. If someone asks if I use nicotine, I'd say yes. That's the truth, the facts and the bottom line for me. If they test me and it comes back "positive"...then I'll be labeled whatever they want to label me as...it's out of my control. If someone's going to be ignorant about it, then it's them that's wrong, not me.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
Its an ethical dilemma alright. Each of us has to decide what their boundaries are on that. I had to write a paper in a Philosophy/Ethics class many years ago and presented that, making it short, if I was dealing with an unethical person who might harm me or someone I love if I told the truth, then it was okay to lie. Never in a million years did I think, at the time, that I would ever actually find myself in that situation. But here it is. People down through history have been in that situation. Various life-protecting Underground networks in Germany, France and here during the Civil War come to mind. I just never thought I would see the day in modern history in this country or in my own life.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
A couple years ago going through doctor stuff (because of a disease brought out by quitting) I was asked a million different times, a million different times I explained that I use an ecig and showed the ones that didn't understand what it was. I let them tell me if I was a smoker or not. Some were excited, some said "that would be a no", my GP didn't know but later was pushing my roommate to vape.
In my records I am marked as an ex-smoker.

And this is for a hospital group that is anti-ecig and tied in with Mayo who is all out ANTZ.

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
I haven't been to the hospital for maybe 10 years. Last time because I fell of the top of a 12 foot ladder.

Anyway doc asked me every time I went to see him if I smoked. I always told him yes. He woudl then say he wants to prescribe Chantrax to me. I always said, Doc, man... I don't want to take that pill. I have always been honest with my doc.

I went to him six month from when I completely switched to vaping. First question as always, Do you still smoke? I said, well that all depends on how you define smoking. I told him I vape using an e cig. He said. Hmmmmmmm. That was it. I have been a couple times since then. Latest was last week because I have Bob Costas disease... dang eye infection. Anyway... he never brings up smoking. He never brings up ecigs.

As far as having higher insurance, it really depends on what they compare it too. If you previously smoked then no, it won't be higher. If you vape 0 mg, then no it won't be higher.

It may take some time but I think the insurance companies are going to have to reduce the insurance for vapers. It is not smoking. That is not saying it is perfectly healthy, but it isn't smoking.

You aren't really a tobacco user either, you may or may not be a nicotine user.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Since ecigs are officially labeled as tobacco products, that answer would be yes for my employer insurance policy. Most are changing to "nicotine user" as a classification. The cotinine test will even show up recent exposure to cigarette smoke in a non-smoker.

Most companies are going with nicotine user and doing the cotinine test. I agree that ecigs shouldn't affect insurance rates, but the stigma and uncertainty surrounding ecigs still results in vapers being charged more.

Many vapers have stopped vaping 4 days before the cotinine test and passed it to get the lower rates.

[h=1]how to pass a nicotine blood test[/h]

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
I have to go to the Dr. every 4 months for my refill on BP meds... and as usual out comes the stethescope and the deep breathe test. The Dr. mentioned that my lungs sounded very clear even tho I smoked..( he knew I "smoked" 2 PAD but didint know I went to vaping)... I asked him just how clear my lungs sounded... he looked perplexed for a few seconds and then answered... " As clear as a non smoker"... I then told him I was on Vaping for the last 6 months. He then said... " I definately need to read up on this, there is something going on here that I need to know more about".... 40yrs of 2PAD to 1 ciggie a day and he needs to learn something... I must give the Dr. credit for wanting to find out!!
Kudos to my Dr. !!!

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
I wondered about this a lot myself. I was at the doctors last week, she asked if I used tobacco products? I said no, and left it at that. She did however order blood test. I go back for the results on Monday, guess I'll have to wait and see what happens.

I think it all depends on what they test for. If they do not specifically test for tobacco/nicotine, there wouldn't be a result. If they did, I would be interesting knowing the results if you do not mind sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread