TANK carto leaking due to slot size

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikertrash

Oct 29, 2011
NC
Well, I watched a few videos and read a lot of discussion about using a tank...

We've been vaping on standard 'tiny' hole, Madvapes carts for awhile... NO leaking, EVER. But, on a particular RY juice OurY4 from 'thevaporshop', it was tasting very burned.. A possible indication of a too dry a cart... Could add juice through the top and get the cart nice and wet and taste would be correct again..

A particular video indicated 'they' cut slots in the cart... I mean these were really long, expansive slots.. One and two of them..

Got out the Dremel and proceeded to cut a single slot, opposite the tiny hole, slightly smaller than the example on the video... WOW, it really soaked the CART fast... A little TOO fast... needless to say, the juice was oozing out of the bottom as well after a few draws..

I'm finding that you really need to consider the viscosity (PG/VG ratio) of your juice as well..

Grabbed a new cart and have now cut a MUCH smaller slot, expanding the size of the TINY hole on the cart and now it seems to be about right... No gurgling, No dry burn taste, and seems to be wicking correctly and the leaking issue seems to be gone..

Moral of all this, Hacking into a cart MAY not be the best idea, unless of course you like running through 50-60cc's of juice a day.. mosting into your pocket or all over the place..

I did search in here and other places for information on this issue but frankly, didn't really find a well explained example of this problem. It's probably here but, my searches didn't reveal it.. So, I thought I'd share my findings directly addressing the juice to hole size in relation to the feed hole size.

Bottom line, LOVE tanks but, finding that if the juice is low viscosity, a larger hole may be necessary but, it's a lot easier to make the hole larger, than reduce it's size if you go toooo far.... Tooo far or Tooo many, is a NOT necessarily a great idea.

Any comments are appreciated.

BT

jlinko

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2011
Ohio
Same experience here...got the Smoktech DCC TANK from Copper Creek. Tried with some Peach sweet tea (40/60 PG/VG). Dry hits. On to YouTube....whipped out the Dremel, and voila! slotted carto. Now unusable because the slot let in too much juice, and this was not a large slot. Just expanded the hole a bit to let the juice in.

bp400

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2011
SoCal
What kind of tank are you using. Which cartos does it take? The boge cartos wick much slower and two decent sized punches won't flood the carto too easy with thicker juices. The dc carto wicks faster and thick juices can be used with a slightly larger hole or two small ones. Many people stopped using the dremmel to slot in fear of tiny metal shavings ending up in the filler of your carto and possibly being inhaled

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

bikertrash

Oct 29, 2011
NC
I'm now experimenting with a different tank/cart and just barely cut into the tiny hole and then used a dental pick to expand it where I made the steel sides thinner and maybe doubled/tripled the area of the opening and it's made a huge difference in airflow and wicking. I think that 'working' up to the optimum size is the answer... One size does NOT seem to fit all....

Thx for the comment!

bikertrash

Oct 29, 2011
NC
hairball

Good point... I checked the large slot I cut and I can't see where I disturbed the filler material but, who knows.. I suppose if an air channel to the bottom is created, it will run right out the bottom. perhaps cutting higher up the cart would be a better idea?

I cut down at the same location as the tiny hole which is barely above the lower grommet seal line...

Glad I posted this... I'm getting a much better idea of the hydraulics involved..

iamtopher34

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2010
Sandy Utah
Im using my first tank and first dcc and it is my best vape ever but using the same juice and the same punch 2 carts worked like a dream 2 flood and leak blah and one makes no vaper after a few days just warm air kinda odd but i have some more in the mail 2 new brands so i will try them and hope for the best

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
I use a mix of 75% PG and 25% VG.. I've not noticed any leaking due to the size of my holes (punched with a hammer and screw) I do notice that boge cartos need 2 holes due to the tighter packing and smoktech's need just one. Leaking is due to unbalanced air pressure. Too much air trapped inside the tank creates too much pressure, thus forcing the juice out of the hole (no matter what size) and out the bottom of the carto.

I use a chibi and once I understood how the air pressure thing worked I've had no leaking BUT the boges seem to wick slower and I have to give a few dry pulls everyonce in a while to pull the juice up into the carto. I can't wait till they start making SS smoktech in higher resistance than 1.7.

bikertrash

Oct 29, 2011
NC
Thx for the link.. I am definitely on the track now.. Basically, that is what I figured out... I'm now just cutting to 'almost' through the steel cart and then starting with a small hole, and expanding it as necessary to get the right juice draw..

I am also finding, that one of my 'commercially' purchased juices, the last batch was simply way too low in viscosity. I am finding that buying the juice ready to go is starting to be a problem. They are NOT always the same... At least some of my purchases aren't. I'm NOT saying ALL commercially mixed juices are inconsistent. But, I certainly have a few that have been 'different' and I am NOT buying those anymore.. I'm rapidly moving to DIY anyways... and my mixes are working out much better and consistent. I just have a few more bottles of premixed to use and and then that is over....

Thx gang for the support and ideas.. I hope this has helped others as well...

BT

bikertrash

Oct 29, 2011
NC
I really like a 75PG/25VG for taste. But, what I've done is dumped in some VG into these that are too thin and spiking up the flavor a little with my own extracts and if the NIC isn't high enough, I know how to fix that too! Hate to toss anything in the trash... I only have about 100-150ml of commercial stuff left and when thats gone, I'm gone.. (with my wife and I, that won't take but about a week to vape up so... it won't be long anyways...)

Duekster

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I really like a 75PG/25VG for taste. But, what I've done is dumped in some VG into these that are too thin and spiking up the flavor a little with my own extracts and if the NIC isn't high enough, I know how to fix that too! Hate to toss anything in the trash... I only have about 100-150ml of commercial stuff left and when thats gone, I'm gone.. (with my wife and I, that won't take but about a week to vape up so... it won't be long anyways...)

Gone? Gone as in quit or gone from buying pre-made juices?

bikertrash

Oct 29, 2011
NC
Gone as in buying pre-made juice...

We've been vaping for about a year and have transitioned from cheap gas station style, Ego-T's and Ego-Carts, Gold Rush Tubes w/5V NimH's, 2 -LT's, a Provari, and now building our own VV mods.. I've got a couple Texas Instrument High wattage VV chips on the way that should solve the VV needs as well....

Just got stuck on a few favorite juices we were buying but, now I'm finding consistency issues with 'kitchen table juice's' and will stop buying them. Just part of our journey.....

I'll probably still continue to buy Desert Ship, cuz I like it! And so far, the China mix has been consistent.. But, if that changesm then I know what to do

We're now mixing up a Grape and Banana Cream for the dessert 'needs' and will start on the tobacco blends this next week. I have everything I need and just needed the motivation. It's really not that tough.

Duekster

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Gone as in buying pre-made juice...

We've been vaping for about a year and have transitioned from cheap gas station style, Ego-T's and Ego-Carts, Gold Rush Tubes w/5V NimH's, 2 -LT's, a Provari, and now building our own VV mods.. I've got a couple Texas Instrument High wattage VV chips on the way that should solve the VV needs as well....

Just got stuck on a few favorite juices we were buying but, now I'm finding consistency issues with 'kitchen table juice's' and will stop buying them. Just part of our journey.....

I'll probably still continue to buy Desert Ship, cuz I like it! And so far, the China mix has been consistent.. But, if that changesm then I know what to do

We're now mixing up a Grape and Banana Cream for the dessert 'needs' and will start on the tobacco blends this next week. I have everything I need and just needed the motivation. It's really not that tough.

You just want to play with the VV or is there something missing in the Provari or other VV mods? I am looking at VV.. not sure if I want to try and build one or not.

bikertrash

Oct 29, 2011
NC
Each step has been a learning experience... I am glad we have places like this as a resource/pool for information. But, not every step has yielded perfect results.. each of us have our own opinions. I have used what I could from others and ultimately now finding what works best for us. We all will never agree.. Too many variables in our tastes, conveniences wanted, and amount of hassle or experimentation we want to do.

But, I wouldn't say playing with VV's is really a good explanation of what we're after.

1.) I want 'it' to perform great with a particular juice or delivery method.

2.) I want NO HASSLE from 'it'... ie... leaks, shutoffs, burned taste, etc...

3.) Time is my most valuable asset. It ain't cheap... and I won't waste it if possible.

If we had never tried an EGO-T, I am certain we would given up entirely. It was the first real vape we found. It was awesome compared to where we had been... auto 510's from Veppo, etc...

Once we tried a 5V Tube, I could see that VV was an obvious step to fine tune the final taste. Provari was the next step and is one of my primary daily devices... I Love it... It simply works well and I like the form factor.

I then bought 2 Lavatubes and like them as well but, frankly, they do fall a little short on some carts/juices. Just don't perform as well and that is that. I have tried every ohm/style of cart imaginable and primarily use them with smoktek XL mega dual coil carts and find that they perform well in this configuration for me/us.

I then built 2 of the Madvapes VV box mods and they are great. Simple concept but, they will shut down if you try and overdrive them. But, Frankly, they get the job done and were really cheap to build.. Like less than $15 or so each.. I didn't buy the prepackaged kits... I bought separate components and saved a little more.. No Brainer.... Love them..

But, the cutting off is due to over-current and I want to take a stab at improving on that with these new TI chips which we shouldn't exceed thier output capacity with anything we have or want to try as far as carts. Just a hobby thing for me...

If you're ready to try a VV, and I HIGHLY recommend it, I think the Madvapes VV Mod box is a great way to see what the benefits of a VV really are.. You WILL see a difference in taste with your juices. You'll like the ability to fine tune within reasonable limits. I really didn't change much of anything in their configuration, except, I also installed a slow changing led/resistor, cause I like it. Big horn button, etc... Just look at thier description of the VV kit and then simply order all separate parts and add the LED/RES for a buck if you want, or not... Very simple soldering, hot glue to seal/secure it all after checking, and that about it... Its a no brainer for a cheap mod.. We get about a day out of a set of 14500 900mah batts. Nothing we Vape on is a sole vaping device so, your mileage may vary... Make sure you get at least 4-6 batteries and a trustfire multicharge... they're cheap and work great.

But, my wife simply wants a button to push, change batteries and could care less about the physics involved.. So, I have set her up with 4-5 devices that satisfy what she wants.. She likes the 5V Gold Rushes, a 5V MV Mod Box, a MV VV Box, and an ego with a DC Cart... We've together found her favorite juices and figured out the combinations that deliver what she wants..

I like to tinker so, I carry VV mods with tanks or carts only and an ego with a DC Cart.. We may not carry all of them all of the time but, through the day, we can switch around and use what we like at that particular moment. But, I really like the ability to change the 'hit' of some of my juices on the fly. The VV satisfies that desire. In the morning I seem to like higher voltage and towards the end of the day, I'm turning them down a little..

Is there more to come? Yup... I have a couple of Rubicon VV's which will be here Tuesday probably. They have a very robust regulator which I believe will be a good addition. One without meter for my wife, and of course I Must have a meter.. :)

Once I find the 4-5 VV's for each of us I REALLY like, then I'll probably put the leftovers up for sale cheap to help someone else with their learning curve. Not really collecting mods, although it may sound like it.. Only looking for the 4-5ea that will take us to the next evolution of vaping devices...

A Darwin is NOT out of the question.. But, I'd really like to figure out the chipset/circuit that would offer the constant wattage concept as a project instead.. But, time is an issue...

Anyone know how to build a Darwin????

I'm interested....

Bottom line, I thinking building a MV VV Mods is a great idea on many levels... Not a final step, but a good forward one....

I hope this helps

bikertrash

Oct 29, 2011
NC
Thx for the link... I had seen this b4 and will not be ordering one.

On too many levels, I really don't see this 'kick' as an alternative. I'll wait until it proves itself out by others. I'm quickly learning that this is a better idea if the concept seems too good to be true. Shorter batteries isn't going to result in longer vape time, especially when boosted to a higher voltage. The physics isn't there. I do have a perpetual motion machine for sale as well... :)

I am really glad the experimentation is ongoing. But, personally, I am seeing the disadvantages of the boost style concepts... ie.. using a 3.7v battery via dc-dc converter to output 4.5-5.5 or ??? higher voltages. The disadvantage being difficult for them to output the necessary amps to result in the desired/needed watt production for 'heat'. Nothing is free. I really like what my Provari does in this regard but, it is limited as well. You absolutely must use a higher ohm cart. And, running these devices near the edge of their ratings does result in nuisance tripping. I've seen enough of it to be convinced.. and not surprised at all. And, having to use high drain, non-protected batteries is not my preference either. That's a whole other subject and well discussed in here and on lots of other reviews of Provari's, LT's, Rubicons, and others. Not my personal preference for future devices.

I'm still hoping a genius electron chaser out there is studying all this and will share their discoveries of component selection and basic circuitry to build the elusive constant watt device. I don't want it in a tube... just not enough room.. a box will be best. I want it to be robust enough to handle at least 13-15 watts continuous with a brief 1.5 safety factor.. ie... no nuisance trips.. using 2 protected batteries to step down, as opposed to 1 unprotected battery kicked up. Tall order, but, it's a goal...

I'd be glad to review an alpha/beta/delta unit from them if they'd like to pass one along...

DigiTechDude

Apr 22, 2010
USA
I've been having this trouble with my latest slotted carto. Not to a big extent, but wasted some juice over a couple days. Normally 2.5-3 ml/day but was going through the full 5 ml of my tank from leakage loss. The carto still worked well. So I have been adding VG to my PG juice to thicken it and keep wicking where it needs to be to avoid flooding. I add about .6-.7 ml of VG to 4 ml of juice when topping off... So 15%-20% VG with two large slots.

Still fine tuning how I cut them and VG ratio for my tastes but I expect I'll get it to more of a science soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread