TaiFun and coil issues! Please assist a EC "newbie", but electronics hobbiest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

garpt01

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
South Florida
Hi all,
Fiinally have my five posts, so I am basically reprinting most of my post from the introduction forum.
Additionally- I tried again tonight with a few coils, not much iimprovement. I fiddled with the windiings till I lost patience. I'm a very patient guy. There has to be something I'm missing!.......

""Stopped smoking Dec. 19th (+/- 2 packs/ day.) Anyway, I jumped right in to Vaping both feet first. Have had half a pack of analogs since, none this week! After an eGo Twist that I used for a week or so, went to to the eVic and Nemisis (HCigar). Then, with my decent knowledge of electronics (I've built audio preamps, speaker crossovers, etc.) decided mods and RBA's would be a way to utilize my hobby with the pleasures of vaping. Purchased a TaiFun clone and a Genesis style atty. All the building stuff.
Last night I attempted to build the coil for the Taifun. #400 wire mesh, torched gfor about 10 minutes. #32 Kanthal. Silica wick. I tried about 15 different builds before giving up for the night.
Impedence is good (1.3-1.8 ohms on various tries.)
No shorts.
4-6 winds around the oxidized mesh.
The problem is I can only get one "leg" to glow. Just like the first 1/4". The middle coils do not glow. I've tried spacing the windings. A couple were (near) picture perfect windings. On one of the tries, actually BOTH sides- right by the screw connections- lit brightly. But none of the middle windings. Obviously, when this happens, the kanthal burns up and I lose the connection.
Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? I watched many videos, it doesn't appear to be "rocket science", especially with my background.""

Thanks All.
Gary

Nibiru2012

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
The Oort Cloud
Hi Gary!

I am surprised that no one has answered your questions... perhaps I may be of some help here.

I too have had issues with doing a coil and SS mesh wick assembly. They're a real PITA!!!

I prefer to use a spaced 3mm ID 28ga. Kanthal coil and cotton wick. This setup vapes pretty darn good and cotton gives a nice full flavor.

If you go to the "RipTrippers" videos on YouTube, he'll give ya some great info on how to do coil and cotton wick assemblies.

Good Luck!

garpt01

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
South Florida
Hi Gary!

I am surprised that no one has answered your questions... perhaps I may be of some help here.

I too have had issues with doing a coil and SS mesh wick assembly. They're a real PITA!!!

I prefer to use a spaced 3mm ID 28ga. Kanthal coil and cotton wick. This setup vapes pretty darn good and cotton gives a nice full flavor.

If you go to the "RipTrippers" videos on YouTube, he'll give ya some great info on how to do coil and cotton wick assemblies.

Good Luck!

Belated Thanks for the answer!
I've been having better luck, I find my cotton builds work and taste the best in this device but I need to change the cotton more frequently then I would like to. But to this this point nothing I've tried has the taste quality and (for me) what I consider a perfect, satisfying draw and I've tried bottom feed clearomizers, RDA's, (don't like most- too airy), and various other RBA's. I just ordered a Kayfun and hope it tastes as great as the Taifun, hopefully without the difficult build (IMO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread