symptoms of allergic reaction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whatagem

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Central Texas, USA
Trying to narrow down an allergic reaction I had over the weekend--completely broke out into hives!

I just started a new medication but also tried an e-liquid from a store I'd never bought from before, though I've never had problems with my other brands. (Doc seems to suspect the meds highly, told me to stop meds for now)

Can anyone explain what an allergic reaction to liquid might resemble? To narrow down the allergy, I do plan to try the liquid again in about a week, once the itching stops

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Trying to narrow down an allergic reaction I had over the weekend--completely broke out into hives!

I just started a new medication but also tried an e-liquid from a store I'd never bought from before, though I've never had problems with my other brands.

What brand of juice and what flavor and did you try any new flavors or your other brands?

Or did you get a new shipment (or break open a more recent shipment) of your 'regular' brands that hadn't had that effect before?

I ask because I also got a slight reaction from something and am trying to determine the same thing.

Last edited:

twoshadetod

ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2009
Jacksonville
I'm curious about this also, what brand where you using?

What brand of juice and what flavor and did you try any new flavors or your other brands?

Or did you get a new shipment (or break open a more recent shipment) of your 'regular' brands that hadn't had that effect before?

I ask because I also got a slight reaction from something and am trying to determine the same thing.

whatagem

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Central Texas, USA
I tried vanilla flavor (which I'd never tried before) from good prophets (which I never tried before) Four hours later I broke out into a rash with welps all over. Like I said, Doc seems to highly suspect the meds, but I'm just trying to make sure it wasn't the e-liquid because I really liked it. Was just checking if anyone else had any similar reactions so I could narrow it down. Doc said it would be OK to stop everything I'd eaten/taken over the weekend & try one at a time in a week or so. If liquid, I would surely know right away. Just waiting for rash to go down :D

Your avatar is perfect for you.
Is this directed at me? Look, I know there are some on these forums that don't care for me so why do you read my posts? Just don't. It's really that simple. It really is.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I tried vanilla flavor (which I'd never tried before) from good prophets (which I never tried before) Four hours later I broke out into a rash with welps all over.

One question that I didn't ask which is the most pertinent ... what nicotine strength was it and is that different than what you normally use. Hives is a major sympton of too much nicotine.

Nicotine Information from Drugs.com
scroll to side effects

Is this directed at me? Look, I know there are some on these forums that don't care for me so why do you read my posts? Just don't. It's really that simple. It really is.

I can't say what was intended but when you consider the question asked, it fits the avatar almost perfectly. I thought it was a observation of coincidence with regards to the question. If there's more 'history' I'm unaware of that.

whatagem

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Central Texas, USA
nicotine strength was 18mg but I didn't use that much on that day. I refilled my cart about 2 or 3 times total. The rest of day I smoked cigs. (In last couple months I went from 3 packs per day to 1 pack per day so body is fairly used to nicotine)
Haven't had any probs with regular use of old brands so I am pretty certain the reaction was to medicine....

I thought it was a observation of coincidence with regards to the question. If there's more 'history' I'm unaware of that.
Not so much a history.... Maybe I'm being overly sensitive. I very well could be misreading it; it's impossible to judge tone in written type. So if I was wrong, my apologies. I've had a couple folks be very rude with me recently and I suppose I was being overly defensive at the moment.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
nicotine strength was 18mg but I didn't use that much on that day. I refilled my cart about 2 or 3 times total. The rest of day I smoked cigs. (In last couple months I went from 3 packs per day to 1 pack per day so body is fairly used to nicotine)
Haven't had any probs with regular use of old brands so I am pretty certain the reaction was to medicine....

Ok. I had some v. high nic juice one day and I had some welts but gone now. My normal nic level is 6 to 18mg, and probably average 12mg.

Not so much a history.... Maybe I'm being overly sensitive. I very well could be misreading it; it's impossible to judge tone in written type. So if I was wrong, my apologies. I've had a couple folks be very rude with me recently and I suppose I was being overly defensive at the moment.

Understood. Written communication sometimes communicates either too much or too little ;-)

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
whatagem, when you've been ditzed you will know it for sure, been there.
You didn't say much about your juice, but if you look down the list of ingredients (or find them on the web-site or where ever you got it) you may also have sensitivity to some ingredient, perhaps more. Some people can't stand vanilla, some can't stand nut-derivatives, some tobacco flavors use nutoil-based flavors, or even that pepper oil (sorry, can't think of the name) can be extremely irritating. That one would bother me, I can't eat peppers. Check your juice though, don't write it off till you know more. Sometime effects can be immediate, sometimes cummulative and then hit like a brick. I can't use propylene Glycol (PG) that was cummulative, after two months made my chest hurt. Now one cart puts me into severe reactive symptoms. Everyone who Vapes should be totally aware what they are ingesting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread