SXK BB + SXK VapeSnail issue

Vaperon01

• Jul 29, 2023
    Hey all! As you read in the title I've had a billet box for a couple years. Usually I vaped using an Exocet clone but recently I decided to buy a new atomizer i.e. an SXK VapeSnail.
    I started playing around with builds and tried different. The most satisfying one was a Clapton Wire KA1 32ga + Ni80 26ga on 2.5mm ID.
    I've used this build two/three times, but this week while I was working on it (I use a Coil Master to test) I noticed that by putting the atomizer in the box, a value of around 0.05 ohm is read instead of the 0.50/0.60 ohm that I expected (and I would like to point out that the correct value is read on the Coil Master) .
    So I tried to check out what the problem could be, the only thing I noticed was a broken o-ring in the deck. But switching it with a new one didn't solve the problem.
    Another thing I noticed is that by slightly unscrewing the screw that welds the atomizer to the box, the ohm value goes from like 0.05 to 0.15 (I don't know if this is an useful information), but trying to fire in that moment results in a "Temperature protected" error message.
    Before doing something else (and risking to damage the atom) I would like to hear any suggestion, if you have.

Thank you for your attention, and obviously if you need more information just tell me! Thanks in advance :)

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    Hard to tell at a distance but it sounds like you have a short of some kind. I have a vapesnail but haven't used it much.

Could be the coil is touching part of the deck. When you adjust the top piece it might be slightly moving something inside that is partly breaking the short. Or maybe the legs of the coil are sticking out from where they are attached and touching the metal outer part. I suggest checking the coil visually, then making another coil.

I only use single wire coils. Your clapton has 2.5 ID, The OD could be large enough that it has to be exactly in the middle of the space it fits in and it's touching something it shouldn't. Or a loose strand on the outside of the coil. It definitely sounds to me like a coil problem. If you have the wire try making a simple single wire coil and see it you still have the problem.

Less likely it might be a short in the metal parts of the snail. Maybe a broken insulator. My recollection is the snail has a big complicated insulator.

Good luck

Vaperon01

• Jul 29, 2023
    Hard to tell at a distance but it sounds like you have a short of some kind. I have a vapesnail but haven't used it much.

Could be the coil is touching part of the deck. When you adjust the top piece it might be slightly moving something inside that is partly breaking the short. Or maybe the legs of the coil are sticking out from where they are attached and touching the metal outer part. I suggest checking the coil visually, then making another coil.

I only use single wire coils. Your clapton has 2.5 ID, The OD could be large enough that it has to be exactly in the middle of the space it fits in and it's touching something it shouldn't. Or a loose strand on the outside of the coil. It definitely sounds to me like a coil problem. If you have the wire try making a simple single wire coil and see it you still have the problem.

Less likely it might be a short in the metal parts of the snail. Maybe a broken insulator. My recollection is the snail has a big complicated insulator.

Good luck
    Thanks for your feedback, your conclusions are reasonable. Can I ask you what kind of coil you use on your VapeSnail? I have some KA1 28 and 26 ga, and SS316 26 and 24 ga because I use those on my Exocet. I tried one time only KA1 on the VapeSnail but I burned the coil in.. like 30 minutes.
    Any suggestion is appreciated.

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    Pretty sure I would have used kanthal 28 wire. I sometimes do TC with the Xeta now but when I had the snail going it was straight wattage mode. So it would have been 2.5 ID coils with 6 wraps for about 1.2 ohms. Probably at 12 W. That's just the way I like to vape. With SS in TC I use the same coil giving around 0.75 ohms.

Reactions: Vaperon01

Users who are viewing this thread