SWL/HAM radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fr34k5h0w

Apr 24, 2010
washington
Just wondering if anybody here is into any radio related hobbies like shortwave, ham, radio building, restoring old tube radios, etc. I have been a ham radio op since I was 16, have been off the air for a while though since my last ham rig blew up and can't afford to replace it. Still listen in though, got 2 high end shortwave receivers, both Grundigs, one a new G3 with syncro tuning and a yb-500 that was made in germany before grundig sold out to china. The G3 has an awsome tuner, the yb-500 has a speaker as good as bose! Better actually... the G3 sounds like ... but its beast of a ssb/syncro tuner makes up for its dog of a speaker and weak amp. So.. any radio guys or gals in here what's your radio hobby and what gear do you have, my ham rig was a pos kenwood.. :p.. ill get an icom or yaesu some day.

Eddie.Willers

ECF Wiki SysOp
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
Prairie Canada
Yuh-huh - I occasionally go signal chasing using old boatanchors...a Collins R392 or an HRO. I usually try and verify the QSL with a modern set (like my Icom R75) and shoot off a reception report where I can.

I also restore tube Zenith Trans-Oceanics (among other things) - so little time, so many hobbies...

Fr34k5h0w

Apr 24, 2010
washington
Those tube zenith transocianics are nice.. I recently had one. Gave it to my best friend for a birthday gift. That was one hot tuner, snagged a lot of good dx on that old zenith. It was a to500 series. I prefer my grundigs though, they have SSB for ham/air/merine bands. To me a radio just seems nakked without something for getting SSB. I have always been a big radio nut, when I'm not out tearing up a road on my bike (other hobbie is bicycles, high end road bikes and single speed fixies :D), I'm usually twittling knobs and switches on a radio at home or wrenching up a bike.

Last edited:

vdrummer

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Jersey
Extra here as well. Originally started with a Hallicrafters S-38 (upgraded to a SX-110 later on which I still own), and Heathkit AT-10 (later adding a VFO to it once I got my General). Currently running a 756ProII to a Rigblaster Pro, 706MKIIG, 208H, ID-800, 91AD, and various other ICOM HT's. UP on the roof I have a rigid 40-10 dipole, a 80-440 vertical on a 20' mast, and twin lead 2m/440 j-pole midway up. Got my ticket in 1975. I usually work the local repeaters (6/10/2/440), some D-STAR, and the digital areas on 40, and 20. Once every couple of blue moons you might hear me on.... Echolink..

Base things should be popping soon. SFI was at 144 today but too much QRN due to the latest CMI. Conditions are starting to look up for this cycle. Worked a station on 2m from Del to NJ on simplex (not bad for a twin lead j-pole). I hope it stays this way.

John Phoenix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
New Orleans
Not anymore (no antenna in the condo) but I used to love using my Hallicrafters and Radio Shack DX 440 shortwaves. Don't remember the model of the Hallicrafters but it was found in my grandmothers shed years ago and had been sitting there for over 20 years, (this was early 80's) Big vacuum tube monster would take 10 minutes to heat up but would really pull in a signal with my longwire antenna on my roof.

The RS or Tandy DX 440 was/IS the best RS model ever made. They worked so well they were discontinued after only short time on the market. All models before and since have not lived up to this babies performance IMO. The Hallicrafters was only slightly better but nobody makes them like Hallicrafters. Forget today's digital. If you want great performance and power, get a old Hallicrafters that's at least 50 years old. I'm not kidding. This is not The model this one is newer but my SW was similar to this Antique/Vintage Vacuum Tube Short Wave Radio Hallicrafters S-53a | eBay

This was early 1980. CNN had just come out. I would listen to live reports of events happening around the world and 30 minutes later CNN would come out with a slightly slanted not entirely accurate version of what I had been hearing reported live. That's when I learned the News Media was corrupt and bias. These experiences colored my learning till this day. I can never trust anything reported in the news media. For a young man in my 20's this was a shocking revelation.

Last edited:

vdrummer

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Jersey
John:

The DX-440 was a hot radio. The DX-160's weren't bad either. Remember "The Woodpecker"? Now we have HARRP to deal with, though once in a while you'll hear something like the old Woodpecker. Then there was/is the "Numbers Stations". I too miss the days of BBC, Radio Moscow, and VOA. Nowadays the bands have been overrun with preachers. Also the various crews on 75m, and 14.275.

Wendall:

I know the feeling. I'm lucky I have the time to do my NC thing on Tuesday nights on the local repeater. But when I am stuck pulling work standby since I am tied to a computer I'll fire up the rigs and work some stations in between calls. I also like to listen to DX on AM broadcast. What do you mean you can't vape on a tower? I was up on the club tower running a new hardline last weekend and I was vaping. Much easier than to deal with than an analog (even using a Zippo). Though dropping or getting bonked in the head with an eGO would probably not be a pleasant thing either way. hihi..

73 de KF2M

base234

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2011
Over the edge...
Base things should be popping soon. SFI was at 144 today but too much QRN due to the latest CMI. Conditions are starting to look up for this cycle. Worked a station on 2m from Del to NJ on simplex (not bad for a twin lead j-pole). I hope it stays this way.

You gotta love ducting. I've worked stations from Virginia south to South Carolina and north to New Jersey on 2 meters simplex on a (get ready) copper cactus j-pole in my attic at 50 watts. Funny how it only really works north and south. Still waiting on 10 meters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread