Not open for further replies.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I am thinking this probably would have been the easier route rather than getting a whole new credit card with virtual numbers, lol. Oh well.

So with the prepaid card, can you add money to it instantly (say via their website), or does it take ~24 hours or so before the money is approved for use?

Mine I just grab a reload card at walgreens for the amount I want to put on it. Then go to the website and put the reload numbers in. The cash goes on instantly.

DKP#

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2012
Missouri, USA
All the online security you can come up with doesn't mean anything if you've got a keylogger or RAT on your computer.
Probably overkill but here's what I do.
-INSTALL NOSCRIPT on firefox. Everyone should do this, regardless.
-I use a separate computer for financial stuff only. It doesn't go to any questionable sites, ever.
-Don't store any passwords on the computer
-If it's something really important like your bank account, paste a couple characters of your password to thwart keyloggers.
-Prepaid Visa

ITPython

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Central Coast, CA
citi gives you several options. If you just do the regular temp number, it is good for any amount for one month but only at the site you first used it at. Or you can put either a dollar amount limit on it, a date limit on it or both but in all cases it is only valid at the one site you specifiy.

Excellent, thanks for the info! Sounds like the perfect solution for me, as not only is restricting it to one site immensely beneficial by itself, but also setting a $$ limit is the icing on the cake! :thumbs:

Mine I just grab a reload card at walgreens for the amount I want to put on it. Then go to the website and put the reload numbers in. The cash goes on instantly.

I tend to make online purchases on a whim, and/or real late at night/early morning, so it sounds like pre-paid wouldn't be too convenient for me unless there was an option to instantly add funds via a website. I checked the Visa pre-paid site and it seems like the only option for adding funds by going to a B&M store (or ATM) that can fill-up the pre-paid card.

All the online security you can come up with doesn't mean anything if you've got a keylogger or RAT on your computer.
-I use a separate computer for financial stuff only. It doesn't go to any questionable sites, ever.
-If it's something really important like your bank account, paste a couple characters of your password to thwart keyloggers.
-Prepaid Visa

Yeah, I am a bit of a security nut, haven't had any kind of malware in a very long time, and it wasn't even on this PC. I sport various different security software setups running in layers, such as HIDS, HIPS, NIDS, firewall, memory firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-keylogger (let's just say anti-malware to cover them all, lol), I also run Sandboxie with administrative rights dropped for all my browsers, desktop email, and some other programs. And I run a dedicated box just for my bank that automatically deletes when I close the sandbox.

And yeah, I do run NoScript, which I agree should be a must have for everybody. Ad-block Plus is also amazing too, especially with some great subscriptions, I never see ads anymore, not even from Youtube. :2cool:

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
anymore you can have the number copied by someone standing near you with a scanner, fits in the palm of their hand., it was a problem for a while in S florida. never let the clerk turn or walk away from you with your card, dont use atms that look like they are damaged or odd in any way, and dont let people walk away with your card in places like restaurants. sounds paranoid but the whole safer then sorry thing.

ITPython

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Central Coast, CA
I've had my CC number stolen many times when ordering e-cig stuff. It never takes more than a few minute phone call to take care of things and is just the way it is IMO. I have multiple cards so having to wait for a new one in the mail is no big deal.

My bank fixed the problem quickly and shipped me out a new card immediately, but having to re-do (and remember) all my automatic payments is a bit of a pain, luckily I don't have too many to keep track of.

Still though, can't but help feel a little violated TBO. And I also wonder what info these crooks have. They at least have my name, e-mail address (maybe), where I live and what I had ordered (or where I had ordered from), which is unsettling.

Another negative is that I just finally memorized my card! Took me a while to knock the old card out of my head and still had tendencies to use my old number... now I have to learn a whole new one, dangit!

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
also...maybe you could find out exactly when the fraud occurred after which purchase from which site/vendor (if that is possible) and we can start a "buyer beware" thingy going here.

Let's not. 1) You can't prove where the actual compromise occurred. 2) It's not allowed here.

-Prepaid Visa

Sorry. There is malware that not only record keystrokes, but they can take screen shots, read your clipboard, and determine keystrokes made on virtual keyboards. The old wive's tale of copy/paste to be secure is just that, a wive's tale.

DKP#

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2012
Missouri, USA
Sorry. There is malware that not only record keystrokes, but they can take screen shots, read your clipboard, and determine keystrokes made on virtual keyboards. The old wive's tale of copy/paste to be secure is just that, a wive's tale.

It would require human intervention to assemble a password from keystrokes, clipboard content, and screenshots. Something a hacker trying to collect them in large quantitys is unlikely to do. Unless a program was written for the very small percentage of people that actually do that. Again, unlikely.

R. Scott Kennan

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2013
Hartford, CT, United States
Theoretically, you could use the computer's clock to match up operations fairly well. This would require minimal human intervention- just a simple human verification process.

Example, The user is on a secure site. Take a screenshot with every mouseclick or keystroke and timestamp it. 10:00: 6 keystrokes logged, 10:03: one string pasted, 10:05: 2 keystroked logged. Send the final string or strings and the screenshots to the criminal via Tor or to a throwaway email account. Said hacker gets a series of credit card candidates. A quick glance at the accompanying screeenshots tells them whether the user was entering credit card info.

I have no idea about credit card verification processes, but credit cards used to have certain digits in common (I don't know if they do anymore), so that would also be a way to narrow down options. Further, if there's anyway to tell what kinds of traffic patterns are generated when going to pages where you enter your credit info, that could be used to eliminate human intervention.

I'm not a hacker, but that's just what I came up with after a bit of thought.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
It would require human intervention to assemble a password from keystrokes, clipboard content, and screenshots. Something a hacker trying to collect them in large quantitys is unlikely to do. Unless a program was written for the very small percentage of people that actually do that. Again, unlikely.

Very common in the gaming world. Theft of game accounts is a multi-billion dollar underground industry. There are bugs written solely for the theft of accounts. There are Zeus variants that do the same thing with banking accounts.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Out of curiousity, was your purchase with an overseas vendor? Like, fasttech or HealthCabin?
I've been buying from US vendors with rated sites (security check rated), so I haven't been too concerned, but maybe I'm wrong.

The two times it happened to me, they were both US vaping companies.

HDVaper

Ultra Super Senior Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
www.oktom.com
I have a Bank of America card that has the feature. You create a temp number with a limit on the $$ that can be charged. Never had any problems with using it, of it being hacked, in 3+ years of ordering.

I use the ShopSafe feature that Bank of America offers too and have NEVER had a problem. IMHO it would be worth getting one of their cards just for online ecig purchases if you don't have one.

JulesXsmokr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2013
Hurricane Alley, FL. USA
Like some others of the as posted. I keep less than a hundred bucks on a B.O.A. debit card, that has no credit line attached to it that I use for online transactions. I only put funds in there when I know I will be making purchases. I get low balance warnings sent to my email right away, if it gets below 25 dollars. (which is most of the time).
I use Mozilla, with NoScript, Ghostery, and use a read only custom hosts file....
and using Sandboxie and Malwarebytes is definitely the only way to go...
I have never had a security issue in the last 8 years of online computing, gaming, downloading or surfing..
I will not ever use an anti virus program either....

cags

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2011
east TN
I applied to Citi as they have virtual account numbers, which is a pretty amazing feature IMO. I am only going to use the card for online purchases and will always use a different number per website. So how does the temp number work, can you set a limit, or is it only good for a one-time use? And when checking statements does it show what virtual number was used for the charges?

I use the citibank virtual number. unless they have changed it recently it is a one time use number. if you want you can specify an amount and expire date. I don't pay the bills but I don't think the bill shows that a virtual # was used or my husband would have questioned me :) I dont know if the "regular temporary number" wv2win talked about is the same as the virtual #, and as I said they may have changed the policy on the one time use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread