Sub Ohming Collapsed my lung (Tall & Skinny)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koolkiz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2014
United States
I can understand that this occurred. Copy and paste of true definition of lung collapse..aka what does it mean?

A collapse of the lung, also called pneumothorax, occurs when the air that normally circulates within your lung leaks into the space between your lung and your chest wall called the pleural space. A buildup of air increases the pressure on your lung, causing it to collapse

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
That's what i'm doing. Sharing my experience of my lung collapsing while at the same time puffing on my e cig very hard and powerful. Havent vaped like that in all my 5 years and had just been doing it for 4 days so for me it is pretty obvious.
Since you're already in the higher risk group, being a young male who is tall and thin, probably a good idea for you to not unnecessarily stress your lungs.

TheyLiveWeSleep

Jul 27, 2016
Since you're already in the higher risk group, being a young male who is tall and thin, probably a good idea for you to not unnecessarily stress your lungs.

Yes i know but i dont want to stop vaping althogether because of this and because i dont want to i wont be able to. What i do now is switch back to normal vaping style as i always have and hope for the best. If it happens again then i will quit.
My right lung should be fixed enough to make the chance of it happening again really small but i also have a left lung where it can happen to.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Yes i know but i dont want to stop vaping althogether because of this and because i dont want to i wont be able to. What i do now is switch back to normal vaping style as i always have and hope for the best. If it happens again then i will quit.
My right lung should be fixed enough to make the chance of it happening again really small but i also have a left lung where it can happen to.
well, according to the mayo clinic, the fact that it has happened before is another tick in the risk factor column. I suppose try not to inhale any more deeply than you would during other everyday activities? I don't know, I'm not a doctor, so take that as you will.

Chemical Bromance

Like a Ninja!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2016
Fantasy Island
That's what i'm doing. Sharing my experience of my lung collapsing while at the same time puffing on my e cig very hard and powerful. Havent vaped like that in all my 5 years and had just been doing it for 4 days so for me it is pretty obvious.

I'm staying open minded about all these anecdotes. I don't think anyone is claiming that "VAPE IS THE CULPRIT" but just sharing their experiences. And that goes both ways.

As for puffing very hard... Maybe you're straining yourself too. If you like a deep inhale, maybe you should switch out to a wide bore on an atty with BIG airflow. I'm no medical professional, but isn't a collapsed lung due to physical stressors, not so much chemical stressors? if that's the case, maybe it's not vaping or the amount per se that's causing the issue but the manner in which you drag the puff.

Reactions: Iron Molly

celticluvr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Sep 21, 2013
    'bama
    Yes, that's very tall and skinny. Really sorry this happened to you - must have been very frightening.

As it happens, a good friend of mine was a smoker (also 6'6") and he had a collapsed lung. Switched to vaping and it's not happened again.

As others have said, it's really not possible to directly attribute your vaping style to your collapsed lung. That said, do follow your doctors' advice.

Out of interest, were there any warning signs?

Hey @TheyLiveWeSleep Oliver asked you this and I think you might have missed it. :) I was kind of wondering it myself. Did you have any symptoms, like a sore chest beforehand. Maybe you could walk us through what happened exactly, I mean I understand about the collapsed lung but just what exactly happened and all that. :)

I hope it does heal properly though. :thumbs:

TheyLiveWeSleep

Jul 27, 2016
    Hey @TheyLiveWeSleep Oliver asked you this and I think you might have missed it. :) I was kind of wondering it myself. Did you have any symptoms, like a sore chest beforehand. Maybe you could walk us through what happened exactly, I mean I understand about the collapsed lung but just what exactly happened and all that. :)

I hope it does heal properly though. :thumbs:

Hi, Yeah sorry i kinda missed it. I dont think there were any warning signs no. I wasnt feeling anything beforehand and just all of a sudden it happened and i had pain. It would've been nice to get some kind of warning first so i could've prevented it before it happened but i quess it doesnt work that way. Would be nice for any future collapses i might have. Lol i hope i will not tho.

Reactions: celticluvr

VNeil

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 30, 2014
    Ocean City, MD
    I don't think anyone is claiming that "VAPE IS THE CULPRIT"
    Actually that is exactly what op did. Starting with the thread title. Why is it so difficult to get this? The first step toward an intelligent conversation is acceptance and agreement of the basic facts. Which appears to be impossible here.

Chemical Bromance

Like a Ninja!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 24, 2016
    Fantasy Island
    Actually that is exactly what op did. Starting with the thread title. Why is it so difficult to get this? The first step toward an intelligent conversation is acceptance and agreement of the basic facts. Which appears to be impossible here.
    OK. Erroneously or otherwise, that's what the OP posted. I concur.

Now, I'm keen to get to the intelligent conversation part where we start discussing what happened and the ramifications. As I said, I'm approaching this with an open mind in the hope that I may learn something.

Sent from the road using Tapatalk.

Last edited:

VNeil

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 30, 2014
    Ocean City, MD
    OK. Erroneously or otherwise, that's what the OP posted. I concur.

Now, I'm keen to get to the intelligent conversation part where we start discussing what happened and the ramifications. As I said, I'm approaching this with an open mind in the hope that I may learn something.

Unfortunately there is likely little to be learned from a single isolated incident. Because correlation is not causation. Some day someone is going to have a heart attack or stroke while doing a DL and come here blaming it on vaping. But it is a statistical inevitability with tens of millions of vapers world wide and the Law Of Large Numbers.

Not to say it shouldn't be reported here for a data point. But that is all it is, particularly without support of a medical diagnosis.

It is equally possible that the OP was one deep breath away from his collapsed lung regardless of what he was inhaling at the time. It's a good thing he doesn't scuba dive....

Reactions: Iron Molly

Chemical Bromance

Like a Ninja!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 24, 2016
    Fantasy Island
    Unfortunately there is likely little to be learned from a single isolated incident. Because correlation is not causation. Some day someone is going to have a heart attack or stroke while doing a DL and come here blaming it on vaping. But it is a statistical inevitability with tens of millions of vapers world wide and the Law Of Large Numbers.

Not to say it shouldn't be reported here for a data point. But that is all it is, particularly without support of a medical diagnosis.

It is equally possible that the OP was one deep breath away from his collapsed lung regardless of what he was inhaling at the time. It's a good thing he doesn't scuba dive....
    And I don't disagree with you.
    However, instead of just slamming him, or anyone else who raises a point of correlation, maybe we just wanna hear him out, offer some sympathy and try ask some questions and find out what we can.
    Even if what we learn is of no consequence, we'd just be a little more informed or at least know what we don't need to know.

VNeil

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 30, 2014
    Ocean City, MD
    And I don't disagree with you.
    However, instead of just slamming him, or anyone else who raises a point of correlation, maybe we just wanna hear him out, offer some sympathy and try ask some questions and find out what we can.
    Even if what we learn is of no consequence, we'd just be a little more informed or at least know what we don't need to know.

Did you even read the thread? I already covered that in post #56. NO ONE slammed him for reporting the problem or wanting to explore it. He was slammed for insisting it is vaping related with no evidence whatsoever except a flawed idea that correlation equals causation and he even tried to debate me on that very point.

His choice of thread title doomed him from the start.

TheyLiveWeSleep

Jul 27, 2016
    Yes i agree, if vaping caused it to happen and i do believe it set it off then it still is one extreme freak and unlucky occurence and only time will tell if it might happen again to some tall lanky unlucky individual. I googled it and i couldnt find any case of it. I just think that it would have been a huge coincidence if it wasnt due to vaping in the way i was doing at the time it happened. Atleast now the possible info is out there and maybe who knows something similar might arise again even if it is only a very little chance.
    I could be patient zero lol.

Chemical Bromance

Like a Ninja!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 24, 2016
    Fantasy Island
    Did you even read the thread? I already covered that in post #56. NO ONE slammed him for reporting the problem or wanting to explore it. He was slammed for insisting it is vaping related with no evidence whatsoever except a flawed idea that correlation equals causation and he even tried to debate me on that very point.

His choice of thread title doomed him from the start.
    Yes. I read the thread.
    You've obviously gotten very agitated over this. If I've contributed to this agitation, I apologise.

Have a good day.

VNeil

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 30, 2014
    Ocean City, MD
    Yes. I read the thread.
    You've obviously gotten very agitated over this. If I've contributed to this agitation, I apologise.

Have a good day.

You are only the last of a long list of people who have misrepresented what I said after their totally losing argument has gone down in flames. And as I pointed out, the second time in this thread. So please excuse my understandable agitation.

ETA:. If you did read the thread it begs the question of why you repeated a misrepresentation leveled against me. And why you blame me for being a bit agitated over that....

Chemical Bromance

Like a Ninja!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 24, 2016
    Fantasy Island
    You are only the last of a long list of people who have misrepresented what I said after their totally losing argument has gone down in flames. And as I pointed out, the second time in this thread. So please excuse my understandable agitation.

ETA:. If you did read the thread it begs the question of why you repeated a misrepresentation leveled against me. And why you blame me for being a bit agitated over that....
    Oh fer crying out loud. No one's blaming you for anything. The OP's the guy that got hospitalized, that's the big issue here. So maybe I wanna understand a little about the circumstances and see if I can learn something, regardless of what he had initially insisted.
    So he thinks vaping did this to him. It's his POV and his lungs and he's entitled to his opinion. If we can ask intelligent questions and discuss the issue instead of assigning blame, we might figure something out.
    I'd indicated in an earlier post that because he was pulling hard he might have injured himself that way. So while vaping may not have directly caused the injury, he did incur the injury while vaping.
    Please. Let's just chill, have a vape and a conversation.

Reactions: celticluvr

VNeil

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 30, 2014
    Ocean City, MD
    Oh fer crying out loud. No one's blaming you for anything. The OP's the guy that got hospitalized, that's the big issue here. So maybe I wanna understand a little about the circumstances and see if I can learn something, regardless of what he had initially insisted.
    So he thinks vaping did this to him. It's his POV and his lungs and he's entitled to his opinion. If we can ask intelligent questions and discuss the issue instead of assigning blame, we might figure something out.
    I'd indicated in an earlier post that because he was pulling hard he might have injured himself that way. So while vaping may not have directly caused the injury, he did incur the injury while vaping.
    Please. Let's just chill, have a vape and a conversation.

I'm out of this discussion since you will never get my point, or perhaps just never acknowledge it . But feel free to speculate endlessly on the cause of the problem.

It could have just as easily happened while exercising but no one would stigmatize exercise as "causative". But that is the inevitable conclusion whenever vaping is somehow involved.

Chemical Bromance

Like a Ninja!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 24, 2016
    Fantasy Island
    I'm out of this discussion since you will never get my point, or perhaps just never acknowledge it . But feel free to speculate endlessly on the cause of the problem.

It could have just as easily happened while exercising but no one would stigmatize exercise as "causative". But that is the inevitable conclusion whenever vaping is somehow involved.

It's just a conversation, Neil.
    Apart from the OP, no one's saying it's caused by vaping.

VNeil

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 30, 2014
    Ocean City, MD
    It's just a conversation, Neil.
    Apart from the OP, no one's saying it's caused by vaping.

I believe I entered the thread addressing the OP....

By my way of thinking there is one very important question that perhaps only his doctor can answer...

Was his collapsed lung an inevitable "accident waiting to happen" ?

An analogy : whike tying their shoes, people throw their backs out, requiring back surgery or some other fix. Tying their shoes did not cause their back failure, nor the shoes. Tying their shoes precipitated the inevitable due to a seriously weakened spinal column.

Reactions: 4lph4num3r1c

Chemical Bromance

Like a Ninja!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 24, 2016
    Fantasy Island
    I believe I entered the thread addressing the OP....

By my way of thinking there is one very important question that perhaps only his doctor can answer...

Was his collapsed lung an inevitable "accident waiting to happen" ?

An analogy : whike tying their shoes, people throw their backs out, requiring back surgery or some other fix. Tying their shoes did not cause their back failure, nor the shoes. Tying their shoes precipitated the inevitable due to a seriously weakened spinal column.

I get that. And I'm with you 100% on that. We're just going around in circles.

There probably was a pre-existing factor leading to the condition. But no doctor will speculate what that might be without sticking his neck out, which is tyoical. So we can just intelligently speculate and discuss it without focusing on the erroneous attribution of cause.

Anyway, I'm here to learn and make friends. It's been fun. Good night, Neil.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread