Sub Ohm Vaping ... I don't get it

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
@Izan ... I smoked pack and a half to two packs a day for almost 50 years. I'm using 12mg/mL mostly and 18mg/mL sometimes. So yea, it's a little harsh for sub-ohming BUT after almost 50 years of a heated throat, I can take the sub-ohm nic hit. That doesn't bother me ... yet.

EXPANDING: I made my own cigarettes and only paid 67 cents a pack. I would buy whole leaf tobacco, 12.5 pounds at a time, shred it down to stuffing tube size and store it in a 7 gallon humidity controlled bucket. The tubes came made as a carton of empty filter tubes. I have several machines, both mechanical and electric to make cigarettes. Today ... I didn't smoke a cigarette ... so far. And I didn't quite cigarettes to try and save money ;)

The reason I want to try sub-ohm is not because I'm not happy with the 1.5-1.8 ohm kanthal coil setups that I have ... but because I have the equipment to try it ... so why not.

Din't see this one, or below about the .3 kanthal coil ...............
To me it looks as if you have everything covered to being satisfied ? do you still feel the need for a cigarette ?

Reactions: Kprthevapr

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
Maybe I'm to rational...but I think anything under 1 ohm is subohm vaping. Has nothing to do with watts or clouds.

Technically, yes. For all practical purposes; not so much. "Sub ohm vaping" is a name for a certain activity - not a technical term. That activity being - increasing power output from a mod unable to adjust power output any other way.

Using a coil below 1 ohm - on a variable wattage mod - does not do any of what the name "sub ohm vaping" was coined to describe. Hence, for variable wattage mods, it's just a meaningless technical term.

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2016
Din't see this one, or below about the .3 kanthal coil ...............
To me it looks as if you have everything covered to being satisfied ? do you still feel the need for a cigarette ?
Yep ... 50 year habits are hard to break. The hardest part is the first smoke in the morning and the last smoke at night. The tootle set ups are working in between. I just wanted something hard hitting for a solid nic fix first and last thing. I thought maybe sub-ohm might do that for me ... what with direct lung, density and all that. But the thing is, my desire for a cigarette diminishes a little each passing day, so the desire to explore sub-ohm may diminish as well.

Having taken the advice given and adjusted the settings a bit, as well as changing to a smaller bore drip tip, I've just about gotten the TC-Ni on the right about where I want it. At least I got a hella nic rush from it this morning LOL. So while this isn't exactly a set up that most sub-ohmers would even consider, it's working for me for now. But NO WAY could I vape it all day. That's where the setup on the left (and other tootle set ups I have) come in.

DSC09899_zpsfjmtha5m.jpg

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Yep ... 50 year habits are hard to break. The hardest part is the first smoke in the morning and the last smoke at night. The tootle set ups are working in between. I just wanted something hard hitting for a solid nic fix first and last thing.

Maybe you need to have an rda handy for the morning and evening; you can put your normal liquid, but add a drop of some high strength coffee flavor in the morning.
I like to do that in the moring. My regular bottle mix of liquid is about 1 to 2mg; that's I vape the rest of the day.

Reactions: MMW and Hobbs

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Yep ... 50 year habits are hard to break. The hardest part is the first smoke in the morning and the last smoke at night...But the thing is, my desire for a cigarette diminishes a little each passing day

It took me a while to give up the first of the day with coffee.
...and that one that gets pulled out instinctively after a meal, yeah, that was a tough one too.

Just keep substituting. If you ONLY smoke 2 a day down from 30...
BRAVO!!!

Cheers
I

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
Yep ... 50 year habits are hard to break. The hardest part is the first smoke in the morning and the last smoke at night. The tootle set ups are working in between. I just wanted something hard hitting for a solid nic fix first and last thing. I thought maybe sub-ohm might do that for me ... what with direct lung, density and all that. But the thing is, my desire for a cigarette diminishes a little each passing day, so the desire to explore sub-ohm may diminish as well.

Having taken the advice given and adjusted the settings a bit, as well as changing to a smaller bore drip tip, I've just about gotten the TC-Ni on the right about where I want it. At least I got a hella nic rush from it this morning LOL. So while this isn't exactly a set up that most sub-ohmers would even consider, it's working for me for now. But NO WAY could I vape it all day. That's where the setup on the left (and other tootle set ups I have) come in.

DSC09899_zpsfjmtha5m.jpg

And that's exactly what I recommend to anyone struggling with "old" cravings, have some higher nic available for those times, nothing wrong with that at all, as long as it doesn't make you sick feeling ...............
You will notice as you upgrade into better performing devices that some of the "RTA's" are basically RDA's with a glass tank which deliver an even more dense / nic vape, they start here Aspire Eigate Triton 2.0 Top Filling Sub Ohm Tank and end up here Velocity RDA by Tobeco - RDA - Tanks have you tried a naturally extracted tobacco juice yet ?

Reactions: Hobbs

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2016
sparkky1 ... I have some 18mg/mL 50/50 from Nude Nicotine. I bought some Tobacco Absolute, Ethyl Maltol Crystals and Mint Crystals. I didn't smoke menthols but find I like a bit of it in my vape. I've made a decent tobacco juice from this. I've found that from the concentrates I make, 3 drops TA/Ethyl Maltol and 4 drops menthol to 10 mL of Nude Nicotine is just about right for me ... but is a little too plain ... so I also add a little off the shelf flavored juice to each tank to spice it up a bit. Tried mint chocolate and some berry flavors so far.

At some point I may most likely move away from the tobacco juice all together though, since none I've tried nor the one I make is really anything like a cigarette anyway ... AND, the further I distance myself from tobacco the best I'll be ... I think LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: nancybout

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
sparkky1 ... I have some 18mg/mL 50/50 from Nude Nicotine. I bought some Tobacco Absolute, Ethyl Maltol Crystals and Mint Crystals. I didn't smoke menthols but find I like a bit of it in my vape. I've made a decent tobacco juice from this. I've found that from the concentrates I make, 3 drops TA/Ethyl Maltol and 4 drops menthol to 10 mL of Nude Nicotine is just about right for me ... but is a little too plain ... so I also add a little off the shelf flavored juice to each tank to spice it up a bit. Tried mint chocolate and some berry flavors so far.

At some point I may most likely move away from the tobacco juice all together though, since none I've tried nor the one I make is really anything like a cigarette anyway ... AND, the further I distance myself from tobacco the best I'll be ... I think LOL

Well just in case you need that morning (craving) "vape"
Black Mile Plus by Tobacco Express
Dark Bean (Coffee Espresso) by FlavourArt

Reactions: Hobbs

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I have a car that goes 170 but was happy driving at 65 , decided i paid big money for it i'm going to enjoy it and i'm going to drive at 170 from now on , not good , not good at all .

Cops showed up and surrounded me faster than Rosie O 'Donnell shows up at an "all you can eat luncheon buffet" and i got a $390.00 ticket:(:(:(

Response of the Day Award!!! :thumbs:

Sub ohm most certainly does not have to be about Big Vapor or a Hot Vape.
It comes in handy building for TC and is most efficient for getting a decent vape on a Mechanical mod, but is not a Necessity for Regulated Vaping.

I often Vape .8ohms(Dual coil) at 20w-22w. That's 10w-11w per coil:D
More Flavor<due to more e-liquid consumption> More Vapor<due to more Liquid consumption> average Vape temps. :thumbs:

I can also get a mildly cool Vape from a TFV4 Ouad-Coil at 80 watts. :eek:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
My understanding is higher resistance converts more of the energy into heat, it's more efficient. So I want the highest resistance coil that will give me the vape I want so the watts can be set lower and batteries have lower stress and give better endurance.

In case there are doubters about the efficiency of higher ohm coils...if you made a coil out of copper (lets pretend the mod would fire) all the watts provided would flow until the battery was depleted but almost no heat would be produced, unless a lot of power was supplied, because the resistance of copper is very low which is why we use it for transporting power, not for producing heat. To get heat we need inefficient wire. The more inefficient the wire is the more heat that's produced from a given amount of power.

My vape is described below. The specs say the evic mini should be able to fire up to 1.5 ohm coils in TC mode but I'm not there yet. I may have got into some wanky stainless or the Evic can't do tc on higher ohm coils after all. Not sure yet. In the end I'm looking for efficient production of the kind and quality of vapor I want, not an excuse to ramp up the power by using inefficient builds.

cj081283

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2015
Hmm even though I don't have a high amount of building for mechs, I build for surface area on regulated and not anything else. If going for simple builds, I aim for the highest ohms (even in the lowest gauge I have which is 24) and I've managed to squeeze .6 or .7 out of them for dual coils and ran them at about 70. Not high I know, but I personally feel higher ohms are slightly beneficial in regulated mods when you build with thicker wire if you can fit it in to the atomizer. I get low ohms for mechs, but I don't build primarily for them yet, but getting into learning it.

Edit: just to say I don't vape in anything tc. Just wattage.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread