Strange issue with center pin

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGabe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2011
Indiana
I have one of the newer copper vein Grands. This morning I went to fill it up before work and there was juice on the top of my battery. So I unscrewed the delrin block from the top and noticed that the center pin of the connector had sunk down. So I try to push it up and it seems like the center pin is now free floating and allowing juice to seep into my REO. Amazingly, I have not had any issues with shorts and from inspecting it, the insulator does not look damaged in any way.. it's just not making a good seal around the center pin anymore. Has anyone had this issue? I was tossing around the idea of getting a rebuild kit from Rob or sending it to him. I have no problem replacing it myself if it's cheaper.

Edit: I use A7s on both of my REOs

eHuman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
San Diego
I have no experience with this specific device, but your problem points to a blown o-ring, (it's the first thing I would check during troubleshooting). An o-ring can appear to look good when in fact a small rip may be hidden by limited view during inspection while still in the device. I would remove it and manipulate and bend/twist all along it's circumference making sure that nothing sticks out or that rips don't become visible upon manipulation. Examine under magnification if possible. O-ring tears can hide when they are in a relaxed condition.

Depending on the material it is made of and due to heating and cooling, it could also be that the o-ring is streched a bit and has lost it's memory, not fully returned to it's normal size.

Justice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
The part of Canada that doesn't get enuf Snow :(
I have no experience with this specific device, but your problem points to a blown o-ring, (it's the first thing I would check during troubleshooting). An o-ring can appear to look good when in fact a small rip may be hidden by limited view during inspection while still in the device. I would remove it and manipulate and bend/twist all along it's circumference making sure that nothing sticks out or that rips don't become visible upon manipulation. Examine under magnification if possible. O-ring tears can hide when they are in a relaxed condition.

Depending on the material it is made of and due to heating and cooling, it could also be that the o-ring is streched a bit and has lost it's memory, not fully returned to it's normal size.

There is no O-ring in this spot but it does sound as if there is too much play in the insulator gasket It may need a new gasket before it shorts out on you :)

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
Thanks for the replies guys. I have built several mods myself, so I definitely understand the insulator. This is usually the weakest point of any mod.

Nerak - I've watched this video before, just for entertainment, but I will have to watch again to see what could have happened.

You said the gasket looked good. I thought maybe the center post might need to be tightened. I saw in the video that once he put it in he did some tightening. Worth a shot at watching and seeing if that might be the case.

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
Yeah, I tried tightening. Didn't work and kind of marked up the center pin. Rob, I will be sending you an email in the near future for a rebuild kit. Does it include a new center post?
Yes it comes with a new center post gasket spring button feed tube bottle positive connection or firing pin everything needed to completely rebuild the unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread