Starfire VV and Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Needeles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2012
WIsconsin
Ok so just got my Startfire a few days back and have still been trying to gather more info about it and whatnot. Right now I have a question regarding the batteries that came with it. From what I read most places just drop in a couple cheap batts and call it good. What I'm trying to figure out is what type of batt i actually have. The place I got em said they are ICR 18650 2200maH type. To my understanding this is a protected batt. What get me is I thought the protected batts had a nipple on the type and are not flat. The batt I have is a flat top, is blue, has no name printed on it. It has a barcode, some numbers below it, whcih I assume is a serial or something, the other info on it is as follows...

D(8.03Wh)
18650EC

Now I have never owned any batts liek this so they are new to me. Below is a link to the batts as listed on the site that I got my VV from...
18650 StarFire 2200 mAh Battery Protected,Use with the StarFire for 3.0 volts to 6 volts Variable Voltage Set Of 1

and this is the charger that came with it...
StarFire 18650 Battery Charger Has two independent charging channels. Li-Ion batteries with a separate. LED for status for each channel. Red = Charging, Green = Charged

Now the item description for the VV says to use Protected batteries only but I thought protected were 68mm whiles these batts are in fact 65mm. If anyone could shed some light on this to help me understand what I really have it would be great. I'm the type of person who charges batteries overnight while I sleep but am a little nervous now. Does this type of batt, if it is a protected, actaully not allow overcharging or does the charger itself stop the overcharge? Thankx in advance for any help, also below is a link to the VV I got just incase ya want to look...
StarFire VV Starter Kit has a sealed 510 connector from 3 Volts to 6 Volts Variable Voltage of 510 atomizers and cartomizers.Variable Voltage.Choose Voltage Battery Lasts Over Day.Lava Flow,Knight Rider/Lava Tube

hificat101

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2011
PA
Hi Needles. Congratulations on your new purchase. the batteries that came in your kit are probably cheaper quality batteries. The Chinese often mention that their kits come with "Desay" batteries, so that may be what the D stands for. I don't know anything about them, and have never heard them mentioned outside of alibaba entries (Chinese manufacturer aggregator).

Try them out and they may work fine for you. If you want to upgrade your batteries at some point (some would suggest you do it soon), I would get Panasonic CGR18650CH's. The flat top ones should work fine for this mod. Smartvapes has them on sale right now for $6.99 which is a great price:

Panasonic CGR18650CH battery

As to protection on batteries. IMR bats are generally considered to be "safe chemistry" batteries and less in need of a protection chip, though who knows about the bats that came with your mod. Also, using a single battery mod is generally considered safer than a stacked battery mod (with two bats in series). You should definitely do some research and make your own call as far as safety is concerned.

I would also consider a better charger at some point. Altsmoke.com has 2 bay Xtar chargers on sale right now, and they are considered good chargers for 18650 bats.

AltSmoke.com | Personal Vaporizers | Electronic Cigarette | Ecigs | XTAR WP2 II Charger

Hope this helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread