Not open for further replies.

NGAHaze

Infinity Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Georgia
I haven't researched this subject personally however I recall a statement in an earlier thread by Kanj.nguyen where he said the following: "Wicks need to be oxidized so that their electrical conductivity decreases drastically, thus minimizing the amount of current going through the wick instead of the coil. If too much current goes through the wick, you have a hot spot. Many believe that unoxidized wicks draw juice better than oxidized ones. I think an experiment has been conducted and the results proved otherwise: oxidization does not affect wickability. " He appears to be quite knowledgable on the subject and I didn't see anyone contradict his comments ... vape On! :)

Last edited:

jaamzhow

Jan 12, 2013
long island, ny
You need to oxidize the metal to avoid shorts. By torching the steel, you put a coating of carbon atoms over the steel. Then when you wrap the coil, the Kanthal is not making contact with the wick which is in contact with the grounded body. If you have a RSST atomizer, you dont need to oxidize because the wick hole is insulated from the grounded body.

ClippinWings

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
The OC
You need to oxidize the metal to avoid shorts. By torching the steel, you put a coating of carbon atoms over the steel. Then when you wrap the coil, the Kanthal is not making contact with the wick which is in contact with the grounded body. If you have a RSST atomizer, you dont need to oxidize because the wick hole is insulated from the grounded body.

BUT, you do still need to oxidize... at least by pulsing... because the coils will short to each other across the mesh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread