Sore throat....drink water!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron2424

Nov 26, 2010
Los Angeles
I am new to vaping and just getting the nerve to post, but I thought I would share some info that would be helpful. A few days after starting to Vape instead of smoke, I started to get a nasty sore throat. I searched all the threads here and saw it was common. There were many inputs on the subject. Here's what I found and realized. First some background. I am a singer and over the years whenever I start to strain my voice to the point of possiblty developing vocal nodes, my Doctor prescribes Guaifenesin aka Humibid aka Mucinex (now available over the counter). Whenever I was prescribed it, I noticed my mucous getting very "slippery". That was the desired effect as the "slippery" mucous would act as a lubricant for the vocal chords and they would get less "calloused" (that's actually what a vocal node is).
When I started vaping, I noticed a similarity in the viscosity of my mucous. I then developed a sore throat followed by congestion, which I attributed to all the "gunk" coming out of my lungs.
Some of the learned individuals around here pointed out that Glycerin bases like PG and VG are humectants (they pull moisture up through layers of tissue) Humibid is also a humectant. It pulls moisture out into the mucous linings to thin the secretions of the respitory tract. When I was taking the Humibid there are many warnings...like you read with Mucinex...to drink plenty of water. When I started vaping, I was not increasing my water intake. As soon as I did, the sore throat diminished. The humectant properties of the PG/VG needs to have water put back into the body or the tissues can't keep up, and a sore throat ensues.

Capt' Brian

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I't seems like an obvious and easy solution, but I wish there was a better one.

Being one of the much older crowd, I must constantly limit my liquid intake, especially before a long car drive.

Thanks for the info though, I was under the assumption that VG was easier on you than PG, apparently theyre the same?

Edit: Don't you just hate it when someone beats you posting and makes you look more like an idiot than you actually are? Ok, PG does dry you out more, thanks

Last edited:

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
I't seems like an obvious and easy solution, but I wish there was a better one.

Being one of the much older crowd, I must constantly limit my liquid intake, especially before a long car drive.

Thanks for the info though, I was under the assumption that VG was easier on you than PG, apparently theyre the same?

Edit: Don't you just hate it when someone beats you posting and makes you look more like an idiot than you actually are? Ok, PG does dry you out more, thanks

Travel John I don't use these because I just stop a zillion times. Drives my wife batty. lol. But I think I would use them before I would cut back on liquids. Keeping properly hydrated is extremely important to good health. Vape on. :vapor: JD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread