Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
And yet they sell by the Case lot in single cell form to Wholesale warehouses.
A battery being used within Spec is being used in proper fashion. Sony is ignoring Application testing by outside sources for safe usage while making no attempt to verify usability for purpose.
CYA

100-authentic-vtc4-2100mah-18650-battery.jpg

When I purchase batteries - of any kind - I do not specify what they will or will not be used in. :facepalm:

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015

CanadiVape

Feb 10, 2016
    These batteries were not originally intended for what we are using them for. In fact, I have read that Panasonic, Sanyo, Sony, and Samsung, don't even like the fact that we're using these batteries because they were not intended for single cell, unprotected use in any consumer device. The fact that they're available can be attributed to modders of flashlights, pen lasers, and bicycle electronics. A demand formed around those markets and it was filled by various folks, and then e-cigs came along and the demand skyrocketed.

A large percentage of the Samsung, Sony, LG cells are used in multi-cell configurations, i.e., battery packs in hybrid automobiles and cordless power tools. These battery packs have their own battery management system (BMS) that ensures configurable, consistent protection at desired current, voltage, and temperature settings to ensure long battery pack life.

As vapers, we are primarily using single battery cells alone by themselves, which often means we may be using these single cells at or above their recommended specifications for a single cell. This application is not the intended use for these cells. Therefore, using these batteries in a single cell use in a vaporizer is at the user's risk. Using them in a mechanical mod with sub-ohm coils with coil resistances which are over-specced for the battery's continous discharge rate increases the risk of battery damage exponentially.

201419111240649.jpg

multi-cell battery pack with battery management system (BMS)
    Man, that's like, 24 potential batteries that I could separate and stick in my mech mod

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 26, 2013
    God's Country
    I'll bet they won't stop taking the little kick in sales this industry has given them
    Of course not.

It's a CYA move.
    Sony has always had this position, and VTCs were never meant to be sold to the public for this type of use.
    Doesn't really change anything except adding after of liability protection for Sony.

skoony

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 31, 2013
    saint paul,mn,usa
    And yet they sell by the Case lot in single cell form to Wholesale warehouses.
    A battery being used within Spec is being used in proper fashion. Sony is ignoring Application testing by outside sources for safe usage while making no attempt to verify usability for purpose.
    CYA

100-authentic-vtc4-2100mah-18650-battery.jpg

When I purchase batteries - of any kind - I do not specify what they will or will not be used in. :facepalm:
    I don't fully understand what you're saying. Are you faltiny Sony for this?
    Mike

BrentMydland

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 15, 2014
    SE US
    Aspire is the only PV manufacturer I know of that sells their own wrapped batteries. I wonder who makes the Aspire 18650 Battery(40A 1800mAh)? ... Aspire - Aspire 18650 Battery(40A 1800mAh)
    Sigelei has their own batteries as well. Not sure what they are rewraps of or if they are true to spec though. I've only seen pictures of them online and never gave them much thought.

retired1

Administrator
    Admin
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio

Racehorse

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 12, 2012
    USA midwest
    Consumers who use these batteries for vaping are but a small fraction of the battery market.

That is correct.

I sometimes think vapers on forums like this believe they are a population that has a lot of numbers and power. They don't.

I did have to giggle when somebody asked if vaping would be a presidential issue in the upcoming elections, etc. :p and how the candidates felt about vaping.

Less than 20% of the nation smokes, probably way less people than that vape. :lol:

Now, "dog lovers" is another story. That has some numbers.

Just sayin', it's good to have a *realistic* picture of your place in the world. ;) Some people, based on posts I see here, really don't have a realistic picture.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    Welcome to Vape Club.
    The first rule of Vape Club is: you do not talk about Vape Club. The second rule of Vape Club is: you DO NOT talk about Vape Club! Third rule of Vape Club: someone yells "stop!", or their battery goes flat, the vaping is over. Fourth rule: only two flavors to a vape. Fifth rule: one vape at a time fellas, no double toots. Sixth rule: No gennies, no squonkers. Seventh rule: vaping will go on as long as it needs to. And the eighth and final rule: if this is your first time at Vape Club, you have to vape.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread