something a little better for around $50?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
I have been enjoying my eGo Twists for a while (my first VV), having pretty much not using my kGo's and Firefly at all. I think I want something more now, but not sure what to look for. I mean, I don't really know if getting a new device would really impact my vaping experience? If a new device also vapes at the same volts as the Twist, then is there any difference at all besides small little extra features that don't impact the vape?

With that said, if my spending range is around $50, what would you recommend? There's just so much stuff out there and new stuff constantly coming out, its pretty overwhelming. Is there any benefit to getting the e-cigs that look big and rectangularish (as opposed to the long design)? For example the Gripper and Ovale are some that I'm kind of interested in but they are definitely odd looking and probably something I should only use at home to avoid weird looks from people in public?

gogoplata

Moved On
Sep 10, 2012
New Jersey
If you go to the classifieds, you can find lavatubes or china versions for under $50. I got one for well under $40 here. Voltage up and down from 3.0 - 6.0. You just need to get a 18650 battery and charger. So, you could find a package for definitely $50.

Actually, if you go to iVape Electronic Cigarettes, Personal Vaporizers, E-cigarette Kits, E-liquids, Juices, Mods and accessories - all of your vaping needs shop online or at our location in Longs SC. They have it on clearance right now with batteries for under $40. Get a good cartomizer tank too with low resistence and standard resistance cartomizers.

Good luck!

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I have been enjoying my eGo Twists for a while (my first VV), having pretty much not using my kGo's and Firefly at all. I think I want something more now, but not sure what to look for. I mean, I don't really know if getting a new device would really impact my vaping experience? If a new device also vapes at the same volts as the Twist, then is there any difference at all besides small little extra features that don't impact the vape?

I don't know how anyone can answer this question easily w/out asking you first what you like, and do not like, about your present setup?

Do you like cartos? Tanks/clearos? What voltage do you tend to vape at (on the twist, 4.0? 4.8? 3.7? etc.).

Depending on your answers, either you may want to try higher voltage vaping OR go in a completely different direction like a bottom feeder.

Tell us as much as you can WHAT exactly you would like to *improve* about your present vaping experience. :)

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
Well, I guess there isn't much I don't like about my current vaping setup. I rotate between my two mini Vivi Novas and Betterlife and io6 attys. I guess I want something a little different.. maybe longer battery life, different look, more options. Just something better. Another thing I'm curious about, if I try 10 different devices at 4v using the same tank/clearo/atty, will it taste or hit different? I know some people are like wow this thing hits like a monster! But do the other batteries not hit like a monster at the same volt?

I can afford to spend more than $50 actually, it's just that I've been on a spending craze the past few months and want a little bit of everything without going broke. I actually am interested in something similar to the Gripper, but perhaps something less plasticky/fragile? And something I don't have to build or tinker with too much, messing with electrical parts scares me. Don't need batteries blowing my face off.

wolfstone5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2010
Somerset, Pennsylvania
It shouldn't be...but...some devices set at the identical voltage can vape differently. When I set the iTaste and the Vision Spinner to the same voltage, the Spinner has a stronger vape. Also if you use a Smok Tech Bolt up against a Silver Bullet with the same batteries, the SB will win every time. I'm not sure exactly why this is so but in the case of the Silver Bullet, it has a much better switch that can handle more amps. On the other hand, my first VV device was a MadVapes VV Box Mod and it vapes like a freight train! It's a relatively cheap mod but uses two 14500's in series with a 3 amp switch. It can hold its own against just about anything out there but won't win any beauty contests!

It comes down to how much $$$ your willing to spend and what you feel is comfortable in your hand. You can absolutely buy a great mod for $50 like a Gripper VV or a LavaTube. They both use single IMR 18650's and will perform admirably. MadVapes has a couple of new mods that they're building that cost about $80 called the ClearMax and the AcryliMax. They both incorporate the Smok Tech ZMaxx circuit board and cost significantly less than a ZMaxx. The Acrylic stock is beautiful and no two mods are alike. It's a good way to try out variable wattage without breaking the bank! Good luck on your quest!!!

AcryliMax Acrylic Variable Volt APV, Purple

twolazy

Jul 18, 2011
chicagoland area
I just ordered a lavatube like mod for little over 30 shipped (without batteries or charger). Easily under 50 w/ everything. Seems like a good buy for the price. Has a higher wattage rating then the twist (10-11 watts for the twist, 15-16 for the Segelei), and not huge like a lavatube or vmax.

Segelei Variable Voltage Tube - Silver

I'll def throw an in depth review of this up on youtube once I receive my order, since there is very little information out there about this PV. =)

Last edited:

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
I just ordered a lavatube like mod for little over 30 shipped (without batteries or charger). Easily under 50 w/ everything. Seems like a good buy for the price. Has a higher wattage rating then the twist (10-11 watts for the twist, 15-16 for the Segelei), and not huge like a lavatube or vmax.

Segelei Variable Voltage Tube - Silver

I'll def throw an in depth review of this up on youtube once I receive my order, since there is very little information out there about this PV. =)

twolazy,

I'm confused. You say that the Segelei tube is "not huge like a lavatube or vmax."

The description on the Discount Vapers site lists the length of the Segelei as 142.5mm, and the pictures appear to confirm that. 142mm is 5.6"---not what I'd call petite. By comparison, my Young-June Vtube v1.5t is 123mm (4.77"), and my Vmax V2 is 118mm (4.65"). Both are 3/4" shorter than the Segelei.

Since the Segelei tube is reported to have the same internals as the Ovale V8 (which I own and like mostly, except for the significant voltage mis-calibration), I was considering ordering one for $30, but that 142mm length was a deal-breaker for me.

Also, good luck getting 15-16 watts out of it with a 2.5 amp limit. Yeah, I know---Ohm's Law and all that. Well, technically it might produce 15 watts, but practically, you'll be pushing it to get 12. And it probably won't provide 6 volts under load. A BuzzPro can crank out 15 watts at its maximum setting of 5.5 volts under load, but it has a higher 3.2 amp limit.

Sorry, I don't mean to rain on your parade. I hope the Segelei makes you a very happy vaper.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Well, I guess there isn't much I don't like about my current vaping setup. I rotate between my two mini Vivi Novas and Betterlife and io6 attys. I guess I want something a little different.. maybe longer battery life, different look, more options. Just something better.

Well, then, to be PERFECTLY honest, I'd be patient. Since you are content NOW. And I would grow that $50 money tree into a bit more and then get a Provari.

Really.

I don't have one, will never have one (just not the direction I"m personally going), but based on reading about 300 hours here, I bet you won't find many people who would say that that is a bad idea. :)

You could probably keep an eye on the classifieds, and find one used, so save the $50, sounds like you're chomping at the bit to buy something *better*, but like I said, since you are happy *right now*, why rush? Save and get the provari.

IF the $ is burning a hole in your pocket, do what I did, go in a totally diff direction and get a bottom feeder. I'm still only vaping a 3.7 device w/VmodXL, but I love it, I wouldn't pick up a stuffed carto or clearomizer / tank or anything with wicks again for anything in the world! It's cheap, and I love vaping off an atomizer.

Last edited:

twolazy

Jul 18, 2011
chicagoland area
twolazy,

I'm confused. You say that the Segelei tube is "not huge like a lavatube or vmax."

The description on the Discount Vapers site lists the length of the Segelei as 142.5mm, and the pictures appear to confirm that. 142mm is 5.6"---not what I'd call petite. By comparison, my Young-June Vtube v1.5t is 123mm (4.77"), and my Vmax V2 is 118mm (4.65"). Both are 3/4" shorter than the Segelei.

Since the Segelei tube is reported to have the same internals as the Ovale V8 (which I own and like mostly, except for the significant voltage mis-calibration), I was considering ordering one for $30, but that 142mm length was a deal-breaker for me.

Also, good luck getting 15-16 watts out of it with a 2.5 amp limit. Yeah, I know---Ohm's Law and all that. Well, technically it might produce 15 watts, but practically, you'll be pushing it to get 12. And it probably won't provide 6 volts under load. A BuzzPro can crank out 15 watts at its maximum setting of 5.5 volts under load, but it has a higher 3.2 amp limit.

Sorry, I don't mean to rain on your parade. I hope the Segelei makes you a very happy vaper.

My bad , blame my mistake on being half awake LOL! I really was under the impression the Segelei VV/LT was smaller then it actually was! Oh well, live and learn some. :)

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
It the money is burning a hole in your pocket, I would suggest trying something new, you may enjoy the VV Gripper. Mine is in the mail or I could give you a better review, but I have tried a box mod and liked it. Plus I have heard good things about it even though it is plasticity. It will allow you to read the resistance on whatever juice delivery device you have so you can really dial it in and then can adjust your eGo's also.

Or, like another poster suggested, I would wait a little while to save up some more money for the Provari. I love my Provari, but since I am using eGo's for backup wanted to try another style which is why the gripper is in the mail. Now I will have a nice battery back up rather than the disposables.

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
The Provari seems nice but definitely a splurge. I'm not sure I could bring myself to spend $100-200 for a vaping device. None of my e-cigs I currently own have broken or stopped working. But honestly, what's wrong with the similar looking VV devices? I am intrigued by Segelei, that red color is gorgeous! The Lambo (bomber??), MyGo, and AcryliMax all look nice as well. SO many options!! Just makes it even harder to decide! I would definitely need a kit however, I don't have the batteries or charger. I'm a little worried about using these batteries... I mean, as long as I'm not an idiot, it won't blow my face off right??:?:

And yes, the money is burning a hole in my pocket. But I just can't justify a very expensive splurge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread