Some observations about the New York bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

woolfe99

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
San Francisco
Very long post - only for those who are very interested.

Since this bill is apparently based off the prior Illinois bill, and since it seems likely to pass the NY Senate (given it's unanimous passage in the assembly), I think it is worth going over the bill and understanding what it means. This bill in substantially similar form may end up being the law in several states.

I looked over the bill and it is relatively short as legislation goes. It can be found here:

A9529 - NY Senate Open Legislation - Prohibits the sale of electronic cigarettes to minors and items not defined as a tobacco product or approved by the FDA as a tobacco use cessation or harm reduction - New York State Senate

First of all, the bill bans " sale and distribution." It does not ban purchase or possession. That means it isn't illegal under this bill to use, possess or purchase e-cigs or juice. E-cigs are not being treated like hard drugs or pot. So the end consumer does not need to worry about whether he or she is breaking the law. That is the sole concern of the seller.

Second, the bill defines "electronic cigarette" as A BATTERY-OPERATED device THAT CONTAINS CARTRIDGES FILLED WITH NICOTINE, FLAVOR AND OTHER CHEMICALS THAT ARE TURNED INTO VAPOR WHICH IS INHALED BY THE USER. This definition, however, is only relevant to the portion of the bill which bans sale to minors. It isn't relevant to distribution or sale to adults. Hence, for our purposes, we need not concern ourselves with the nuances of that particular definition.

Third, the section which concerns us the most reads as follows:

S 1399-MM-1. PROHIBITION OF PRODUCTS NOT DEFINED AS tobacco PRODUCTS OR APPROVED BY THE UNITED STATES FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION. 1. PRODUCTS CONTAINING OR DELIVERING NICOTINE INTENDED OR EXPECTED FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION THAT ARE NOT TOBACCO PRODUCTS, AS DEFINED IN SECTION THIRTEEN HUNDRED NINETY-NINE-AA OF THIS ARTICLE, SHALL NOT BE DISTRIB UTED OR SOLD UNLESS SUCH PRODUCTS HAVE BEEN APPROVED BY THE UNITED STATES FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION FOR SALE AS TOBACCO USE CESSATION OR HARM REDUCTION PRODUCTS OR FOR OTHER MEDICAL PURPOSES AND ARE BEING MARKETED AND SOLD SOLELY FOR THAT APPROVED PURPOSE. 2. IN ADDITION TO ENFORCEMENT ACTIONS AUTHORIZED IN SECTION THIRTEEN HUNDRED NINETY-NINE-EE OF THIS ARTICLE, THE ATTORNEY GENERAL MAY APPLY IN THE NAME OF THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK ON FIVE DAYS NOTICE, FOR AN ORDER COMPELLING COMPLIANCE WITH THIS SECTION. IN ANY SUCH PROCEEDING THE COURT MAY IMPOSE A CIVIL PENALTY IN AN AMOUNT NOT TO EXCEED TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS FOR EACH VIOLATION.

I have bolded the most interesting portion.

Clearly, e-liquid which "contains nicotine" is banned for sale or distribution. The question is, what about the hardware? There seems to be an intent to ban the hardware as well, based on the inclusion of the word "delivering" in the description. However, can this apply to any device that has a dual use? E-cig hardware can be used to vaporize any liquid, whether it contains nicotine or not, and in fact, some users do vape nic free liquid.

Another device which can "deliver nicotine" is a syringe. One could use it to inject nicotine. Not advisable, but it could be done. Syringes, incidentally, can also be used to inject ......, which is illegal, or by diabetics to inject insulin, which is legal. Syringes are, of course, legal everywhere, and I don't think they intended to ban syringes with this law. Yet that is how the law can literally be read, IF it is interpreted as precluding the sale or distribution of any device which has a dual use.

Perhaps the NY authorities get around this in court, but it seems like an issue to be litigated, as the statute has not carefully defined what is and isn't banned.

Finally, the Smoking Everywhere v. FDA case has a strong bearing on the future of this statute because the adult ban is tied directly to the FDA and the status of e-cigs with that organization.

If the FDA wins that case, that means the FDA has been allowed to regulate e-cigs as a drug or device, meaning this statute will stay in effect until the FDA tests and then finally approves e-cigs (or some regulated version of them).

If the FDA loses that case, it means that the court held that e-cigs are a "tobacco product" within the meaning of the federal statute and that, if the FDA wants to regulate e-cigs, it must do so as a tobacco product (meaning no ban, but possibly certain regulations.) The statute does rely on NY's own definition of "tobacco product," which I have not read. However, it is a safe bet that it is the same federal definition that is now being considered in court, and that if the FDA loses and begins to regulate it as a "tobacco product," this law will cease to apply.

Ironically, if the FDA were to choose to not regulate e-cigs, this ban would remain in effect, because lifting it is contingent on FDA approval, and the FDA does not "approve" products that they don't regulate.

However, given the choice between some regulation and no regulation, the FDA would certainly choose to regulate e-cigs as a tobacco product. That presumably would automatically lift this ban.

The bottom line - pay very close attention to what is happening in federal court right now. These proposed state bans are all taking their lead from the FDA, and the continued application of these state bans may well hinge on the outcome of that case.

- wolf

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
Woolfe99,

Nice, but a couple of assumptions you make are not correct.

It is in fact a crime in NY to possess a hypodermic syringe without a prescription, pursuant to Penal Law Section 220.45, and Public Health Law Section 3381:

"Penal Law Section 220.45
Criminally possessing a hypodermic instrument.

A person is guilty of criminally possessing a hypodermic instrument
when he knowingly and unlawfully possesses or sells a hypodermic syringe
or hypodermic needle.
Criminally possessing a hypodermic instrument is a class A misdemeanor."

Laws of New York

And it is the Public Health Law that explains that the "unlawfully" found in the Penal Law means when possesed or sold without a prescription.

Laws of New York

Second, the NY definition of "tobacco product" referred to in this bill is also found in the Public Health Law, and is not the same as the federal definition. It is however, quite amusing, and would definitely be open to litigation on whether the ecig should be considered a "tobacco product" under it. Here it is:

5. "Tobacco products" means one or more cigarettes or cigars, bidis,
chewing tobacco, powdered tobacco, nicotine water or any other tobacco products.

New York Law: Public Health: Regulation Of Tobacco Products And Herbal Cigarettes; Distribution To Minors: Definitions. :: Justia

Have you seen my letter to NY Senators on this very issue? It is posted here:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...tors-confused-effect-proposed-ecig-bills.html

woolfe99

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
San Francisco
Thanks for the clarifications. I didn't know that needles were banned as well, but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

As for NY's definition of Tobacco products, its inclusion of "nicotine water" is a broader definition than even the federal law. Accordingly, I think if the FDA loses its federal case, the ban may not hold up in NY courts as the federal decision, though not binding, would be persuasive authority for the proposition that e-cigs are "tobacco products" under NY law, particularly given that the NY definition has defined plain nicotine as tobacco. Indeed, even if the FDA wins its case, the argument is still there that e-cigs are a tobacco product under the NY definition.

I still think the lynchpin of all of this is the pending federal case.

Excellent letter BTW.

- wolf

v1John

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2010
va
There are NY threads up in the general discussion subforum. I was just up there posting (here is the thread: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-now-prevent-e-cigarette-ban.html#post1303113 .)
One thing I'm confused about by this thread is that it makes me think it's only for minors, but SmokeyJoe's thread video (iirc) shows Rosenthal saying it needs to be outright banned to adults.

And it passed unanimously, correct?

Please help New York !!!

Last edited:

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
v1John, Section 1 of the bill bans sales to minors. Section 2 of the bill, however, quoted fully in Wolf's OP, is the part that is intended to ban all sales.

What Wolf and I are discussing, and what I wrote about in my letter to the Senators mentioned in my post, is that if passed, the bill could well lead to litigation over whether it, in fact and law, actually bans all sales, because of the way it is worded, and the way it refers to the definition of "tobacco products" found elsewhere in NY laws.

That aside, as we know what the bill sponsors intend - to ban all sales - and we know how expensive and difficult and time consuming actually having to go to court to challenge a law is, of course what we need to do is fight this bill, with everything we have, and keep it from being passed at all!

By the way, it passed unanimously in the Assembly, but a bill is not enacted into law unless and until it passes both houses. That is why we are focusing so much right now on the Senators in the Health Committee, and if it gets approved by them, will soon have to be contacting all the rest of the Senators as well.

woolfe99

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
San Francisco
I think Yolanda answered the question well. I'll add a bit more detail.

The bill explicitly bans sale to minors.

It is also intended to ban sale to adults, but it goes about this in a less direct manner.

It says any product "containing or delivering nicotine" (no mention of e-cigs in particular) is banned if it isn't either a) approved by the FDA, or b) a "tobacco product" within the meaning of New York law.

Since e-cigs are not "approved by the FDA," then they are either a "tobacco product" under NY law, or else they are banned by the statute.

Interestingly, the question of whether e-cigs are a "tobacco product" under current federal law is being litigated right now in federal court in the FDA case. The NY state definition of tobacco product is, however, different from the federal definition, and it appears to be a broader definition since it includes "nicotine water." Accordingly, there appears to be a very good legal argument that the bill, which intends to ban e-cigs for adults, actually doesn't. That said, Yolanda is correct that litigation is costly and time consuming. Furthermore, I would think that if the NY AG loses that issue in court, the state legislature could simply pass another bill which modifies the NY statutory definition of "tobacco product" to specifically exclude e-cigs. The bottom line is that if a government really wants to ban something, sooner or later they'll get it right.

- wolf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread