Some help please with my dual coil Octopus-won't fire coils anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anubuk

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2014
A mountain top in Northern Ohio
I have been rebuilding single coils for about 2 weeks, an octopus, a squid and my mini protank coils, and all has gone well.

I started rebuilding dual coils 2 days ago on a dual coil octopus. I am using 32g kanthil,wrapped about seven times similar to a micro coil (seems to be the only way I can get a 3.0 coil with 32g) with cotton wick. I set up 2, 3.0 coils which read as 1.5 and things seemed to start out well.

Sometimes the second coil wouldn't fire till later or not at all. I was then messing with it after I removed the cotton to do a dry burn to clean them. Moving the problem coil around sometimes got it to fire both properly, sometimes not at all. Then it stopped firing (my battery led was not flashing like when there short). I put it on my ohm meter and was moving the coils around, loosening and tightening the post screws to see what would come up. It would not register at all. I took both coils out and put in one that I know was working (I have a few coils without wicks from previous use around in case I need one quick) and still nothing. I made sure to check my meter by putting a different piece on to check ohms and the meter is working fine.

I did double check how I wired it compared to pictures online and I did it correctly. I cannot figure it out. I have read up on this, watched tutorials looking for something I did wrong and can't find anything.

What did I do wrong? I didn't think it was possible to short out the actual base of a rda. It seems like the base is incapable of carrying the battery current to the wires.

I appreciate any help you can give.

Anubuk

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2014
A mountain top in Northern Ohio
Okay, weird. I tightened the hell out of the pos post, made sure wire was wound xtra tight from the hole to around the screws threads and it started working again, well 1 coil. I am about to try 2. weird thing is I usually have to loosen the posts to get a high enough resistance for 2 coils (I am great at 2.0-2.5 ohm coils) as I have trouble getting one up to 3.0 ohms or more. I figure it is the gauge of my kanthil. I have some 28g ordered but it is not here yet.

Thank you for your help. I was starting to think I was nuts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread