Not open for further replies.

Cassie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2010
Missouri, United States
Hey guys,
I was watching a chinese manufacturer vid the other night about rebuilding giant clearomizers and I noticed when he was soldering the wires he didn't use a coil of solder. That seems to be one of my problems when soldering, having to hold the solder and the iron and the 2 parts I want soldered all at once. LOL I got one of those little stations with the alligator clips on it but yeah, not so great.
Anyway, this guy wasn't using a coil of solder. He was just touching the iron to the wire while holding it to the post and it got me wondering what he was doing behind the camera to eliminate the use of that solder.

What I was able to find is some stuff called soldering paste (not flux). Can anyone tell me if this stuff is something that replaces the coils of solder? Is the iron dipped in the jar or something? It sure looks like that would be the way to go when you don't have enough hands. It was just quick easy soldering.

I would love to try this if this is the case. Is there a special iron? Special wattage or tips? Specific temp of iron?

Anyone? LOL Thanks!

Last edited:

P1NkY

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
Planet Earth
Post a link to the vid and I'll tell ya how they did it.

My guess would be he/she pre-fluxed the wire and post with liquid flux (or solder paste), then brought the tinned iron to the connection to create the joint. This method is usually employed in surface mount soldering, where not much solder is needed for a good joint, but I guess could be used in other situations in a pinch.

That being said, it is not the "accepted" method of heating the joint first, then applying solder to the joint.

ETA: You could use solder paste instead of wire, but you'd still have to apply it to a clean mechanical joint and heat it enough to melt it thoroughly, but not too much or it'll burn away all the flux in it and oxidize, creating a cold solder joint. A dab of liquid flux on a cold joint like that followed by a touch from the iron can reflow the solder enough to salvage it, however. I'd stick to practicing my three-handed wire soldering technique, lol!

Last edited:

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
You can use solder paste . I use it all the time for reflowing surface mount componants . Just put a little paste on and touch it with the iron . Actually you can get a pretty decent paste at dealextreme . Look for lodestar solder paste in white/yellow bottle . The third had tool works great if you mount it to a desk . There is a vice cleamp version with suction cup i like to use from harbor freight as well .

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
So I wouldn't dip the tip of the hot iron in the paste then touch to item to be soldered? Would that work too?

No that will not work . You have to put the paste onto the part then touch the part and the solder liquifies and turns solid . Dipping the tip in will just make a mess and cold joint when you solder the part .

CraigHB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Reno, Nevada
Actually you can get a pretty decent paste at dealextreme.

Is this the stuff? There's also this one. I've been tempted to buy it before. It's incredibly inexpensive. Wonder if you get what you pay for. Name brand paste such as Kester or Multi-Core costs like 10 times more.

Last edited:

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
To the OP, just pre tin the two parts by flowing solder onto each part and then bring them together and connect them with a quick touch of the iron. No need for special solder or tricks.

Sent from my NOOK Color running Android

+1 . Pre-tinning parts does make it easy to do .Its rare that you would even need the third hand tool . Theres always a way to set it up so all you will need is two hands . Solder paste really shouldnt be needed at all on ecig mods unless your making your own pcbs and reflow soldering DFM or smaller components .

CraigHB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Reno, Nevada
I usually pre-tin when soldering wires. It does make a world of difference in the ease of soldering. For PCB components, I rarely pre-tin. PCB traces are normally tinned already and the materials used on component leads/contacts generally wet with solder easily. I'm actually going to attempt reflow soldering on PCB stuff for the first time. Although it gets the job done, I've been stuck in a hand soldering rut. It comes from starting out with this stuff in the days when hand soldering was the only method. It's a slow way to assemble things. I've been putting together the stuff I need. Still haven't decided on the solder paste, expensive name brand 62/36/2 or the cheap 63/37 stuff from China.

Iusedtoanalog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hi Cassie, bstedh is correct, I solder ALL freaking day.... tinning your two joints before assembly is the better way to go when you have small parts(like ecigs) to assemble. I have found that tinning your two joints is also incredibly reliable. As long as you apply sufficent heat when assembly is done it will flow togother without issue. Good Luck. Happy Vaping.

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
Yes pre tinning usually prevents a cold joint too . When soldering wires together always use a western union splice then solder . A western union is when you wrap one wire one way and the other wire the other way . It makes a strong joint which wont come apart even you werent to solder it . Always solder and shrink tube it too though .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread