Soaking atomizers in alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.

indypilotcfi

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Indiana
By alcohol, do you mean drinking alcohol or rubbing alcohol? If you are talking about rubbing alcohol, I'd rather not soak my parts in something I wouldn't drink. If you are saying drinking alcohol, don't waste your money. I use to soak in vodka all the time and ran out so I just soaked in hot water. Absolutely no difference at all.

I have atomizers last me months if I kept them clean and dry burn them. It really depends on what kind of liquid you are smoking in it and how often. I've been vaping for 11 weeks and the only time I've had to throw an atomizer away was when I messed up the coil.

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States
The guy at the smoke shop said he prefers silica wicks and soaks the used atomizers in alcohol. I tried it and it got rid of the burnt taste and worked like new. Does anyone else do this? How much longer will it make my atomizers last if I do it consistently?

Just make certain you use a drink friendly alcohol such as Vodka. Rubbing alcohol is poison!

drummerskey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2012
little birdhouse in your soul
I had the old CE3 style attomizers and used to soak in water. I started soaking them in vodka and I did get longer and better results. Dry burning is also a common recommendation here and personally, I never saw a difference because if you have to dry burn it, it probably is ready to die anyway.

I use the Protanks now and I keep 5 coils in rotation. I change the coils out once a day and put them in a tuperware container and when I have three, I soak them for a few hours/overnight in vodka, rinse them with hot water and let them dry. I have 3 month old coils right now that work just as well as new ones. Some of mine have died at this point but they were 2 months or longer old before I threw them in the "in case I ever decide to build a coil" drawer. The trick here is to do it more than needed. I don't use really dark juice or coffee flavors that often but do use some sweeter ones that will gunk up the coil. Once a day is good. Really dark liquids, maybe twice a day but the maintenance on it will have an impact.

$11 gallon of crappy vodka has lasted me a good three months and I still have half the bottle left.

EDIT: I +1 the "don't use rubbing alcohol" suggestion

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I do 20% vinegar to water for about an hour. It does have a chemical action. I rinse in the hottest running water afterwards. I do that with all the components, but I spend a little bit more time on the coil. I end up holding the components with a needle-nose pliers.

I let mine air dry for a minimum 12 hours. I just try to make sure that the threads inside the coil get well dried.

Last edited:

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
i use isopropyl alcohol(rubbing alcohol) 50/50 blend i get from the dollar store.
it makes a good cleaner because it evaporates quickly and cleanly.
it gets into the finer crevices of the threading.
i just use the smell test.if you can smell the alcohol let it dry some more.
there will be no measurable residue left to worry about.
alcoholics have been known to wean themselves on to it and drink it for quite some time
before they blow there kidney or gut out.
that is why it comes in wintergreen flavor now.(sad but true fact)
regards
mike

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Been using 91% ISO to soak my atties for three years now, it works just fine.

Some tricks;
    If you let the alcohol dry, it will leave a film. Add PG or e-liquid while still wet, and it becomes a solution which can be blown out of the atty.
    Never store atties dry, a drop of PG, or e-liquid will prevent the coil from oxidizing.

Letting atties dry overnight shortens the life of the atty.

Using either hot water or alcohol to clean atties means that e-liquid is water and alcohol soluble ... right?!?
    Well, guess what! That also means that both water and alcohol are e-liquid soluble. So use e-liquid to get the water or alcohol out of the atty!

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread