Not open for further replies.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
I happened to be at our local farmer's market this morning and saw a poster on the smoke shop in the market (this fm has just about everything besides food)-

Tasty Puff Tobacco Flavoring.

Notice that you can not only flavor your tobacco, but E cigs and vaporizers. Now that sounds to me a lot like PG/VG liquid with o nic. Plus they state, "All ingredients in Tasty Puff are approved for use in a regulation of the FDA or are listed as G.R.A.S on a reliable industrial list."

Twenty nine child attracting flavors.

This was a response from someone who inquired as to what was in TP-

"All of the ingredients in Tasty Puff are FDA approved. It is made from extracts of plants, fruits, spices. Non-flavor ingredients include water, food coloring, propylene glycol, and ethyl alcohol. Tasty Puff is (unsweetened) food grade flavoring and is totally edible, although we don’t recommend it because it is highly concentrated flavoring and doesn’t taste very good directly on the tongue! Tasty Puff works great in e-cigarettes! We have had nothing but positive feedback so far! Tasty Puff is very concentrated, so start with one drop. You can always add more if necessary."

You have to respect the ingenuity of man.

Last edited:

jlarsen

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2011
Helena, MT
The FDA ban on flavored cigarettes is disconcerting, especially since it immediately ended all legal clove cigarette sales, but in some ways it's also a joke. There weren't that many flavors of cigarettes to begin with, clove cigarettes were a relatively novel item, and the ban didn't include menthol, which is the most popular non-tobacco flavoring. The ban also doesn't include any other form of tobacco besides cigarettes (yet), and the tobacco companies have since increased the number of flavored cigars, chew, and snus, and have started making more of the "little cigars" that look and feel like cigarettes wrapped in a tobacco leaf instead of paper, and taste like cr*p, but can legally come in any flavor.

Pipe tobacco does and always has come in a plethora of flavors, and is also not subject to the ban. I used to roll my own cigarettes using pipe tobacco just because of the number of flavors available, and found it to be smoother and less expensive than roll-your-own tobacco, plus you can buy bulk in any volume and not a set package size. It is also taxed at a MUCH lower rate than the roll-your-own.

As for this product being marketed towards children? How is it any different than the thousands of ecig flavors available? Adults like flavors just as much as children, the vaping community is living proof of that. Banning flavors on the premise that simply because they exist they will attract children is faulty logic, smokers starting in childhood is a problem that is as age-old as smoking. There's no reason to ban a flavored cigarette any more than there is reason to ban cigarettes entirely. Can you imagine if flavors were banned in alcohol products?

I don't smoke anymore period, and since ejuice and flavorings are so abundant on vaping only sites, not sure why I'd want to get dual use flavorings from a traditional tobacco shop to flavor my ejuice, but a product like this is just another work-around on the flavor ban, just like the "little cigars" and regular cigars and chew, snus, etc. I don't think it would work with pre-made cigarettes, so probably only for those that roll their own. Most underage smokers, I would imagine, are still trying to get their hands on all the regular cigarettes that will never be banned.

I started smoking when I was 18, most of my friends started at about 16, and there were a lot of underage smokers at my high school. Virtually all of them smoked cigarettes that were regular tobacco and menthol. I doubt the flavor ban has had a measurable impact on preventing underage smoking.

I got started on cloves and switched to menthol, but while I knew many classmates that smoked, I didn't know any others that smoked cloves, and most would only smoke menthol when they couldn't get their hands on regular cigarettes. (I turned 18 a few weeks into my senior year, and so I was smoking most of my senior year).

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Tasty Puff has been around many years and has been discussed quite a few times on ECF. I've even used it as an example when people first started freaking out about the FDA possibly banning e-cig flavors. E-cig vendors could make unflavored nicotine liquid (if pre-flavors are banned) and sell the flavors on the side a la "Tasty Puff" - a lot like the "Flavor Doublers" companies like Nhaler and DIY Flavor Shack already sell.

(This thread should probably be in a discussion area and not the Legislative News area maybe?)

firechick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2009
Upstate New York
ckc, Camel has been selling "Crush" cigarettes here for quite some time. Light it and smoke it for a regular flavored cigarette, crush the capsule in the filter for menthol. I tried them, but they were pretty light and I smoked a lot more of them than I did regular Camels. Since the capsule is imbedded in the filter, I doubt they could get away with it in the event they ever did ban menthol in cigarettes.
Camel Crush - Tobacco Products

ckc, Camel has been selling "Crush" cigarettes here for quite some time. Light it and smoke it for a regular flavored cigarette, crush the capsule in the filter for menthol. I tried them, but they were pretty light and I smoked a lot more of them than I did regular Camels. Since the capsule is imbedded in the filter, I doubt they could get away with it in the event they ever did ban menthol in cigarettes.
Camel Crush - Tobacco Products

I wonder if Philip Morris was intending to cut off competition from RJR, explaining the Feb 17, 2007 deadline for "substantially equivalent" cigarettes? According to Wikipedia, "The cigarette [Camel Crush] was released in the United States on August 25, 2008."

GregH

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2009
Georgia USA
I wonder if Philip Morris was intending to cut off competition from RJR, explaining the Feb 17, 2007 deadline for "substantially equivalent" cigarettes? According to Wikipedia, "The cigarette [Camel Crush] was released in the United States on August 25, 2008."

I believe so. Many referred to it at the time as the Philip Morris Protection Act.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread